Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still no front USB / wireless charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Booked mine on Monday for mid Feb and someone called me this morning from Tesla saying he was in the area can he come today. He did and it took him around 10 minutes and he way away.

I used the service option and wrote "Retro USB fit" - very easy and now all installed and working

u wot m8

(Joking aside, I know what you mean.. I thought they could be ports as well, but they're just holes that sortof look like USB-C ports. I presume it's for removing the light)

Well you better break that to my two kids as they are expecting to be plugging their i products in there during our mini road trip this coming weekend 🤣

Booked mine on Monday for mid Feb and someone called me this morning from Tesla saying he was in the area can he come today. He did and it took him around 10 minutes and he way away.

I used the service option and wrote "Retro USB fit" - very easy and now all installed and working
does it have power and data connection, or just power?

If the USB Port on the Vehicle itself has no Data output capability connecting a multi-output Hub (like the Amazon above) will not magically add Data capability. Tesla retrofitted USB Hubs do not have Data capability, they are charge only and these charge only Hubs don't even charge using any charge cables only charge using some cables although the wireless charge pad will work as no cable is required. Anyone can order the Data-enabled USB Hub from only Tesla (if in stock) and have it installed and programmed at their own cost.

ps. yessuz: how's your imaginary vessel coming along, what's its ETA Southampton?

Reactions: Durzel
If the USB Port on the Vehicle itself has no Data output capability connecting a multi-output Hub (like the Amazon above) will not magically add Data capability. Tesla retrofitted USB Hubs do not have Data capability, they are charge only and these charge only Hubs don't even charge using any charge cables only charge using some cables although the wireless charge pad will work as no cable is required. Anyone can order the Data-enabled USB Hub from only Tesla (if in stock) and have it installed and programmed at their own cost.

ps. yessuz: how's your imaginary vessel coming along, what's its ETA Southampton?
It's already docked in Southampton.

Usb hub i posted is for charging only. In case you got no usb in front console and need more than 2 usb connections for charging and can connect to rear ports only

Pushing games while removing the hardware to connect the controllers to play them is about as Tesla as it gets.

What does surprise me is they didn’t install the hardware required and then disable it via a software update!
That's because due to Global shortage and unaware when they will again be able to receive volume production of the newer Data-enabled USB hub parts they have officially downgraded indefinitely the Data-enabled functionality of the centre console USB-C ports and replaced with the "dumb" none Data-enabled version fitted in older Model 3's. Although this strategy is bound to backfire for Tesla as the none Data-enabled version Tesla is currently retrofitting fails to work with many brands of charge cables so they will need to search for a new solution shortly when their call centres are inundated with customer calls complaining the retrofitted none-Data enable charge-only ports doesn't work either. Thank god my vehicle was one of the last fitted with the Data-enabled version prior to global shortage starting in December. Tesla have changed and downgraded several parts in the production line post Jan 1 production and new customers are taking them as upgrades while except for the heated wipers the rest are all downgrades. Tesla have become very dishonest in falsely advertising new vehicles as having 374 miles whilst I have received a new production 10-days ago with same battery in USA and true range is only 340 miles!

one of the unfortunate advantages of Tesla not providing a full detailed list of the spec of the car you're buying, is they can change stuff like this and you have no recourse. I don't see anywhere they state a data enabled USB port - just the wireless charging pads. Most people will likely just want them for charging so it makes sense for Tesla to cut some corners and costs. Wouldn't be surprised if this became 'standard' spec

one of the unfortunate advantages of Tesla not providing a full detailed list of the spec of the car you're buying, is they can change stuff like this and you have no recourse. I don't see anywhere they state a data enabled USB port - just the wireless charging pads. Most people will likely just want them for charging so it makes sense for Tesla to cut some corners and costs. Wouldn't be surprised if this became 'standard' spec

the Manual previously specifically stated Data-enabled USB ports in centre console, after the decided to retrofit due to shortage not meet the just in time manufacture of thousands of vehicles and they also started fitting none Data-enabled ports to new productions, they deleted the reference in the online manual. Hence anyone complaining and claiming the older version being installed, they simply refer them to their online manual which clearly no longer evidences such. As mentioned, they have become very dishonest.

Reactions: Durzel
That's the problem with an online manual I guess, unless you download a copy of it at the point you order the car they can (and will) change the contents at any point and refer to it.

I think it's really sketchy that they're now saying that data-only USB hubs is "by design", when it's clearly due to the chip shortage. It's the same *sugar* as with the passenger side lumbar controls. I have read about someone buying the data-enabled USB hub and being told by Tesla that it was an "unauthorised modification" (??), even though it's the identical part fitted to cars earlier in the year.

Unfortunately it seems that new owners will have to both buy the part themselves and try and get Tesla to change the gateway configuration on their car to be "data enabled". The second part is the difficult part, and will depend on how flexible your SC is.. most people I suspect will get stonewalled with a "there is no retrofit available sir/madam" response.

That's the problem with an online manual I guess, unless you download a copy of it at the point you order the car they can (and will) change the contents at any point and refer to it.

I think it's really sketchy that they're now saying that data-only USB hubs is "by design", when it's clearly due to the chip shortage. It's the same *sugar* as with the passenger side lumbar controls. I have read about someone buying the data-enabled USB hub and being told by Tesla that it was an "unauthorised modification" (??), even though it's the identical part fitted to cars earlier in the year.

Unfortunately it seems that new owners will have to both buy the part themselves and try and get Tesla to change the gateway configuration on their car to be "data enabled". The second part is the difficult part, and will depend on how flexible your SC is.. most people I suspect will get stonewalled with a "there is no retrofit available sir/madam" response.
I think you meant to say: "I think it's really sketchy that they're now saying that CHARGE-only USB hubs is "by design". Unfortunately you are correct, Tesla ethos to date has been: "take it or leave it, it's Tesla's way or the highway"

They can't get away with that much longer as dozens of competing brands surfaced and continue to surface daily. I for one still their customer, have one here in UK and one in USA where I am in the process of moving permanently. The UK one I only received last months prior to my recall by my company to return to USA hence in process of selling it with only 460 miles! It was one of the last lucky ones having the Data-enabled version installed plus has the 12-month complimentary Premium LTE Networking. The ones after it only come with 1-month!

thanks for the advice guys, service is booked for Friday, hopefully it won’t be cancelled.
Hey can you report back if they do cancel. I picked up my 21M3LR on 22/12/21 and made an appointment for them to be fitted just after Christmas, they then emailed me tell me they dont have the parts and aim to do it by the end of Jan. I emailed last week and they said they will get in contact when they are ready to fit the parts, might just make another request and see what happens as I have seen people have just gone and put in a request and gotten the work done.