Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still not being charged for supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of me just wants to STFU about this but I'm also trying to understand why this is happening. I bought a 2017 M3 LR in June. It was used and owned by a Tesla employee. It's VIN 0004xx so it's a very early car with the hard seats (boo) and alcantara headliner (yay).

This is my fourth Tesla, my previous three were Model S's all with free charging. My account shows paid supercharging but no charging trips, even recent visits. If I supercharge, the car will show a recent charge and location as expected but shows no dollar amount. When I tap a supercharger on the map it shows just the cost for idling, not the cost per kWh for supercharging as I've seen on other 3's. What gives?

I have no referrals or anything else associated with my account that should result in me not being charged. So I'm kind of wondering if this is a result of it having been employee owned and that perk following the VIN. Only I don't want to ask for fear of what would happen.

The first rule of Fight Club....

My Supercharging history is not as clear-cut as yours but still strange. I have a car built 6/2018 (other details in .sig). Initially my first couple of SC sessions were correctly billed to my credit card. Then, for some reason, all of my other sessions were not for the next 6-7 months. Cost per kWh has always appeared on the map and my Tesla account has always indicated Pay Per Use Supercharging. To my knowledge, I should not be eligible for free charging since I've never given out my referral link, nor purchased the car during a time when FUSC or limited-time free SC was offered. During those 6-7 months, all my SC sessions were free. They did not show up on my History page. I took a trip down to L.A. and hit Kettleman City both ways and used the Glendale SC several times and it didn't cost me anything.

From about February of this year, some SC sessions HAVE been billed but not all of them. On a trip up to Lake Tahoe in July, I stopped at Rocklin, CA twice. Both times I was not billed. But stops at Truckee (Donner Pass) and Fairfield were. For the sessions that ended up being free, my car's screen shows the cost for the session but when I pull away, it resets back to $0.00 yet still shows where and when I charged. Those sessions used to not show up in my History but recent free sessions are now logged but show $0.00. In addition to the $0.00 cost, if I click on the arrow next to the cost, it shows the amount of energy used and 0kWh "Credit balance" and "Credit remaining" lines (I have no idea what that is supposed to mean).

And to make it even more weird... a recent session at the Blossom Hill Road station was DISCOUNTED. The invoice for the charge session indicates a $0.11 credit. The original cost was $3.36 (correct for 12kWh @ $0.28) but my credit card was billed $3.25. And that's what I saw on the screen. It was showing $3.36 but it magically changed to $3.25 when I drove away.

So my advice to you is... enjoy the freebie and don't question it.