Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Not Fixed [small vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 25 MPH.]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seen several post with this situation but no specific answers. I have LR M3 with a steering wheel vibration. When the car hit about 2200 miles (I now have 4000 miles) I get a small vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 25 MPH. The car drives straight, but it feels like a small buzzing sensation. (IT'S NOT LANE DEPARTURE WARNING), it's like holding an electric toothbrush.

I've been to Tesla 4 times and America's Tire twice. Tesla has gone back and forth depending on the service advisor in regards to whether its "within spec", but two lead tech's acknowledged the problem. But each time I receive the car back, it's the exact same. So far the car has been balanced (like 5 times), aligned, tires rotated, tire dismounted to check the acoustic foam and remounted, but yet the problem persists. Any possible ideas? American's tire suggested new tires, I hate the Continentals on the car now (loud, don't handle well, etc.), but I'd like to put more than 4000 miles on them and there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem. As a side note, i haven't hit a pothole or curbed the wheel to cause any damage to the wheel itself. I have 19's.

I've definitely thought about that after the last time bringing it in. I'm in California, I have one more service set at Tesla. I think I need to use the terms such as it's a safety issue, lemon law etc to entice them look deeper into the issue. I'd love for them to swap another set of wheel/tires as a test. I'm just at a loss, had many cars and it's almost always a balance or alignment issue. Can't imagine what else it could possibly be, especially since it was great before 2000 miles.

I had that happen on another car(not Tesla) under new vehcle warranty. I have been in the automotive industry fro 25+ years and owned a shop for 16+ so it's not my first time at the rodeo. The dealer insisted doing that they did to your car. Balance after balance, align, rotate and of course none of it helped. I said just get me new tires but both the dealer and the Pirelli said the tires are fine. I took it upon myself to buy new PS4S tires and problem solved.

I had that happen on another car(not Tesla) under new vehcle warranty. I have been in the automotive industry fro 25+ years and owned a shop for 16+ so it's not my first time at the rodeo. The dealer insisted doing that they did to your car. Balance after balance, align, rotate and of course none of it helped. I said just get me new tires but both the dealer and the Pirelli said the tires are fine. I took it upon myself to buy new PS4S tires and problem solved.
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. It’s also what America’s tire said. I have one last appointment at the SC next week. If they can’t fix it, (I’ll suggest new tires). Then I think I’ll bite the bullet and get new tires.

Can the Tesla service center, swap a set of spare tires so you can see if it's the tires? You'd think rotating them would make a difference, if there's a vibration thru the steering rack.

Good idea to check how true the wheels are before mounting the new tires. No tires or amount of wheel weights can fix a bent wheel.

Just want to confirm the process for checking the wheels, can they put just the wheels on the same balance machine without the tires mounted to determine if there is any issue with the wheels. It seems very unlikely, I haven't curbed them, hit any potholes etc., but just want to be sure. I mean there isn't much more it could be at this point.

Just want to confirm the process for checking the wheels, can they put just the wheels on the same balance machine without the tires mounted to determine if there is any issue with the wheels. It seems very unlikely, I haven't curbed them, hit any potholes etc., but just want to be sure. I mean there isn't much more it could be at this point.
Yes, same machine. Have them remove the wheel weights first though. If you see the wheel wobble or is out of balance by more than a couple of ounces, replace that wheel.

Reactions: trusaleen1
Got my Hankooks installed, the good news, I really like the tires, smoother much better handling than the continentals. The bad news, the VIBRATION IS STILL THERE. American's tire said they checked the rim, they didnt see any issues and everything was balanced. I'm at a total loss, I found this post in another Tesla forum and this describes it exactly, the guy below even swapped wheels and tires and still the same situation, but never found fix and they traded in the car

"Issue:
Too much road imperfection transmitting to steering wheel. Issue started happening about 400 miles ago.

Background:
I got my model 3 in June and loved it, but 4 weeks in out of no where I was feeling strange amplified road feel coming off of steering wheel. I could feel every thread of tire and road imperfection. It persist regardless of speed, weather and temperature, road surface. This road feel / vibration amplifies when road is not smooth. This happened after driving it for about 1600 miles (currently have 2k miles). Before, steering wheel was dampened with slight feedback and nicely muted, but now it's transmitting every road imperfection. I lowered tire pressure to 40PSI, but nothing helped.

SC performed following:
They re-torqued suspension components for all wheels and performed wheel alignment.

Issue still persist and I can't seem to figure out what it is that is causing this. Has anyone experienced this or any clue? I don't think it's the suspension since they re-torqued all suspension parts. Could it be the steering shaft or rack not filtering out this kind of vibration? Could it be the Lane Departure Warning sensor causing loosening the joint? I am just clueless... I had to set up an another appointment, but I am afraid they will just brush off"

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Rapid vibration at relatively low speeds sounds like a bearing issue over a wheel balance issue.

I don’t promise to be able to identify this over the interwebs. But I don’t think this is a tire/wheel issue.

Often a wheel balance that is off pops up at ~60mph. I’ve only seen one pop up at low speeds when the wheel/tire had a massive amount of mud adhered to it. And it’s not rapid like an electric toothbrush.

I really think you’re looking at a bad wheel bearing or another bearing in the front drive unit (Assuming dual motor).

Another possibility that popped into my head is a power steering issue. I believe these cars use an electrically assisted power steering rack. That is something I have never worked on personally….so throwing darts into the dark on that.

(Service center should have caught all of my ideas though).

My questions so far.
1. Does it happen with the Ac off? Heck. Turn everything you can off in the settings.
2. Does steering setting in center screen change it?
3. Does it come and go at different speeds? Or starts at 25 and never stops?
4. Do you feel it in other Teslas?
5. Any noise? (This can be hard to hear)
6. Does it change in frequency or severity at different speeds?

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC
My questions so far.
1. Does it happen with the Ac off? Heck. Turn everything you can off in the settings.
First off thanks so much for your response, so to answer the questions:

My questions so far.
It happens with the AC on or off and even with everything off.
I've tried comfort, standard, sport (usually drive in sport) and they all have the issue
It's present most of the time at all speeds, I have a round about by my house and at about 10MPH, I feel it, its slight but it's there.
I haven't had a chance to drive another model 3. I talked to the rep of a local Tesla group and I'm going to their next meet up in a few weeks and he offered to help me, offer any advice.
No noise at all, I'm actually pleasantly surprised of the overall integrity of the car (other than the vibration)
It seems more dependent on the road conditions as opposed to speed, not sure if this means anything, but it's more pronounced on the lower half of the steering wheel, it's like holding my Sonicare toothbrush.

• Informative
Reactions: Amateur7 and KenC
Got my Hankooks installed, the good news, I really like the tires, smoother much better handling than the continentals. The bad news, the VIBRATION IS STILL THERE. American's tire said they checked the rim, they didnt see any issues and everything was balanced. I'm at a total loss, I found this post in another Tesla forum and this describes it exactly, the guy below even swapped wheels and tires and still the same situation, but never found fix and they traded in the car

"Issue:
Too much road imperfection transmitting to steering wheel. Issue started happening about 400 miles ago.

Background:
I got my model 3 in June and loved it, but 4 weeks in out of no where I was feeling strange amplified road feel coming off of steering wheel. I could feel every thread of tire and road imperfection. It persist regardless of speed, weather and temperature, road surface. This road feel / vibration amplifies when road is not smooth. This happened after driving it for about 1600 miles (currently have 2k miles). Before, steering wheel was dampened with slight feedback and nicely muted, but now it's transmitting every road imperfection. I lowered tire pressure to 40PSI, but nothing helped.

SC performed following:
They re-torqued suspension components for all wheels and performed wheel alignment.

Issue still persist and I can't seem to figure out what it is that is causing this. Has anyone experienced this or any clue? I don't think it's the suspension since they re-torqued all suspension parts. Could it be the steering shaft or rack not filtering out this kind of vibration? Could it be the Lane Departure Warning sensor causing loosening the joint? I am just clueless... I had to set up an another appointment, but I am afraid they will just brush off"
So I have a very similar issue with my 2022 M3P (with 1,500 miles). For me, there is definitely road feedback coming through the steering wheel at most speeds. However, at 78-82mph I feel an intermittent high frequency vibration (similar to an electric toothbrush) even on newly paved smooth roads. The high frequency vibration will come and go for a few seconds as I cruise at those speeds. I have had Tesla rebalance the front tires and also a different shop rebalance all 4 tires. The issue still persists and I have no idea where to go from here! ALSO, I have a 2021 MYP and this issue is not present in that vehicle - the steering wheel is smooth at any and all speeds with no road feedback.

Reactions: Kare101
So I have a very similar issue with my 2022 M3P (with 1,500 miles). For me, there is definitely road feedback coming through the steering wheel at most speeds. However, at 78-82mph I feel an intermittent high frequency vibration (similar to an electric toothbrush) even on newly paved smooth roads. The high frequency vibration will come and go for a few seconds as I cruise at those speeds. I have had Tesla rebalance the front tires and also a different shop rebalance all 4 tires. The issue still persists and I have no idea where to go from here! ALSO, I have a 2021 MYP and this issue is not present in that vehicle - the steering wheel is smooth at any and all speeds with no road feedback.
There seems to be quite a few threads out there with similar situations on here and other Tesla forums. The problems is I've never seen a fix for this situation. It's really frustrating. The situation seems to be happening only after a few 1000 miles and the SC's have been no help. Their usual cause of action has been a balance or to say it's "within spec". I tent to agree with MrCarCrazy that I don't think its a wheel/tire issue.