Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Not Fixed [small vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 25 MPH.]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model X Long Range, less than 3 month old, driven 2,500 miles, vibration in yoke at highway speed 65 and over. No vibration at speed below 65mph. Multiple service visits since delivery, didn’t find solution. Does anyone else experienced this issue or have resolution? Thanks
1A46C143-52F6-430E-9420-ECB772C9193A.jpeg

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Amateur7 and KenC
I have a vibration in my M3 as well that started at about 2,500 miles. I had inside tread wear on the front tires at that time and had the alignment done. The vibration didn't go away, so I replaced the tires at 9k miles, ouch. But the vibration didn't go away (not OEM tires). Had them road force balanced, but the vibration didn't go away. It's now at 31k miles... still vibrates.

Some people have suggested that the OEM tires had damaged treads which caused vibration and that I replaced them with louder tires (Quatrac Pro) that also have vibration. I can't confirm or deny. I already have the next tires plus wheels (both OEM) in my garage, waiting for my current tires to be worn down. Hopefully they will squash the vibration.

I don't know if my vibration is the same as the OPs, or if it's tire/wheel related, but it's my biggest real gripe with the car. Next is software (v11, lagging Skyforce). It's not just in the steering wheel, it *seems* tire related... or at least some part of the suspension/etc. It can be fatiguing for long durations.

Would be great if one of you car whisperers could give us an exhaustive list of steps to diagnose and resolve it. Wishful thinking.

Reactions: Kare101
I have a M3LR that I took delivery of last Friday, less than 100km on the clock and it has a vibration in the steering similar to what you describe, a light "buzzy" vibration Only happens when driving in a straight line either slow or fast, as soon as the steering turns either direction it goes away.

Reactions: Amateur7
I'm hoping by going to the Tesla meet next week that I can drive and talk to other Tesla owners. I'm thinking if it was like this from day one, I'd totally think, well its just the car. But since I had about 1500 miles before I noticed, it's so strange. I've seen a lot of posts on this issue with no solution, was kind of hoping someone else would chime in too, lol. I appreciate all your efforts. I'll keep you updated after I go to the event next weekend.
Did you go Tesla?

I have 2022 Y with same issue at 1500miles check front tire balance = Still there
To me: my alignment is not set right or tight
I have sm. vibe in steering wheel >35mph when changing lanes as left tire hits markers or Random on acceleration/de-acceleration
It make me think of same string wheel vibe racing oval caused by running more left caster to help car turn on straightaway ...

I suspect there are many causes of vibration, however I replaced by tires and the vibration did not go away... then 25k miles later I replaced the tires AND rims and it seemed to do the trick.

I've read that Tesla uses a softer alloy in their stock rims, not sure if it's true... but in a heavy car with a lot of torque, it seems like denying the rims is one easy way to end up with a vibration.

It is definitely not a wheel/tire issue. I have this same issue on my model s. I bought a brand new set of tires since mine were worn anyway and I road force balanced the wheel and tire. Your electric toothbrush description is spot on. I was describing it as a rumble strip type sensation but with the rumble strips being much closer together than normal. Mine comes and goes. Under a slight turning I will get that vibration in the wheel for a few seconds then it goes away. I am doing some of my own r&d. Hopefully I will find a resolve.
I am having the same issue in my model S LR. Did you ever figure this out?

This is the 1st time I’ve seen someone accurately describe my problem. Feels like an electric toothbrush on the highway. Wheels professionally balanced multiple times, alignment complete, new tires installed…all no help. Drives me insane and can feel at all speeds. Ready to purchase a new Y but might create appt to have SC inspect suspension components and wheel bearings/hub, all that’s left to consider. Anyone fix??

I own a '22 M3 RWD for a few months now. I have this problem as well. It's a phone vibration. Or indeed an electric toothbrush. Pretty much starts as soon as the car gets in motions. I'm in the Netherlands and we have some pretty decent tarmac roads here. Car feels like a B*tch out here. If it wasn't for the fact that it starts at such low speeds I'd say it's bad shock absorbers. Either defective of just the wrong type for the car.

I've been working hard with the car since a few days of owning it. The first few days you don't know what to think or feel. But as soon as I drove on some local good roads a few time I knew it was terrible and much worse than my two previous electric cars. So got busy with tire pressure, wheel rotation, 2 shops for balancing and road force balancing. Made them look for any slight bent in the rims but there is nothing. It is all against better judgement because these vibrations at these low speeds is not in the wheels. Must be very very poor design. I have new hankook ventus prime 4 tires, stock 18" rims. I'm not willing to spend more money again on other tires. Reading post after post that it's likely not gonna change anything except for my wallet.

I keep getting back to the shock absorbers because of the car's behavior in general. There are certain speeds that are really unpleasant to do, my body would starts shaking a bit.

Now that I know what terms to google on I see so many M3 owners that have these problems.
I like the look and features of the car, don't really want to sell. I'll end up getting aftermarket shocks maybe.

The car also gives air pressure (like driving with back windows open) vibes at higher speeds (50mph and up).
It's not turbulence, it's I think vibrations within the whole car. It feels like rapid changes in cabin pressure.
Must be all of 1 and the same issue. Very very very badly designed suspension.
Glass roof doesn't help either.

Just putting this out here, so people might work together to solve it.