TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Still on the fence about committing to buying a first gen Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eisbock, Nov 18, 2016.

1. eisbock

eisbock Member

First gen Model 3s will likely have problems that will be ironed out in a few years, much like the Model S. Many will still buy, but some will lease then buy the next gen of 3s. No first gen car is perfect, but that's not what this topic is about. It's to give you a compelling reason to take the plunge on a risky first gen car.

NHTSA Decides That EVs Shouldn’t Be Quiet — Have To Include Fake Sounds

Buy your Model 3 now before the government forces your car to make fake noise when driving around town!

• Disagree x 1
  2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

LOL... I suppose I had better buy a quiet M3 while its still available.

Anywhoo. Leasing is out for me because lessening limits my mileage too much.

I'm getting a loaded first generation because.
    1. That's what I want
    2. Loaded because it will be a wonderful trade-in in 2 years.
    3. That's what I want.
    4. Loaded because I will have an earlier delivery date.
    5. That's what I want.
    6. etc.

• Like x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Nope.

• Informative x 1
  4. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Last I heard Tesla was working with NHTSA to come to an arrangement where the car detects pedestrians and directs sound toward them instead of just being loud all the time.

If all else fails there are always wire clippers...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  6. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

Well, much has been learned and improved since the first Model S. These lessons will carry over into the M3 e.g. it will have the latest tech evolved over time, latest motor etc. Also, the M3 is going to be a "less complicated" car(read: no falcon wing doors). Basically, everything Tesla has learned developing the S and X is going into the M3. Whereas purchasing a MS in 2012 could have been considered "risky" I don't think that risk exists with the M3.

With that said I did buy a MS60(couldn't wait....sorry) but still have my reservation intact for an M3.

• Like x 2
  7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Nope, not on or even near the fence. Stood in line with eyes wide open knowing it's a first year model from a new car company that's swimming upstream against some powerful forces. The lack of the noise making thingie is just a bonus, but in no way sways my decision or commitment one way or the other.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

I haven't read the actual "ruling" about the noisemaker, but based on this document, perhaps Tesla can add it and make the function accessible to the owner so it can be disabled. Then Tesla can wash their hands of it and say they are in compliance.

Anyway, its a non-factor for my decision on when I purchase this (or any electric) car.

• Like x 1
  9. Jayc

Jayc Member

Strictly speaking, Model 3 is a Gen 3 car when it first arrives and will go through several revisions thereafter. From that point of view, I have no issues with a revision 1 car.

Wrt engine noise, anyone else like the sound that electric induction motors make when accelerating ? I do.
    Perhaps they can artificially generate the exact character of that sound and automatically adjust the volume depending on road conditions.

10. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

I suspect that disabling is not without legal implications.

It won't affect my decision any.

Thank you kindly.

11. Trips

Trips Member

Yes they will have issues with the first cars that roll off the line. I actually expect a recall of two as all car manufacturers have them. I am fine with that and the $7,500 / $3,750 credit will more then make up for that.

Yes it will be cutting edge and years ahead of anything on the market. Tesla is constantly creating the next great thing (Auto Pilot, AP2, Bigger Battery, Quicker...) and you will always be waiting for the next thing.

Major improvements I see 1+ year after release
    - Vehicle to Grid power for my home. (Would influence me to upgrade)
    - Electrochromic Tint
    - Laser Headlights
    - Side mirrors replaced with camera's

12. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

You're probably right (just read the NHTSA article). Toyota seems to have done a decent job with this already. You hear a subtle high-pitched braking kind of noise when their Prius are approaching or launching. I can live with that.

• Love x 1
  13. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

Fully agree with you, Bluestar.

I figure that the drivetrain should be bulletproof. I expect squeaks and rattles that will be fixed in later builds, I expect the software to be in need of a bit of polishing; six months and 2 or 3 OTAs later it'll be fine. Worse than that would disappoint me a bit; better would thrill me. My wife and I will be a three-car family, so even though extended visits to the Service Center would be disappointing, I'm fully equipped to power right through them.

Frankly, from a manufacturing perspective, the Model 3 is a really basic car. A new, but well understood, skateboard chassis with a new, but straightforward body and a bolt-in interior with a minimized dash. Lessons learned from the S apply directly to the skateboard - put the right bearings in the motor, don't skimp on the purchased suspension components, keep the batteries/motor/inverter cool and happy. Other lessons from the S will hopefully be applied to the body - don't skimp on soundproofing, watch the seals/gaskets to prevent leaks/squeaks, etc. The software is a huge portion of the car - but it should be mostly the same as the S/X software so it should be pretty good (except, I've heard, for the latest media player....).

As far as the noisemaker, I don't expect it to be annoying. If it is, well, everything electrical in a car has a connector between it and the main wiring harness....

• Funny x 1
  14. S3XY

S3XY Member

• Like x 2
  15. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

got bad news for you. when a gov't regulation like that is set to kick in years down the road, Tesla is usually pretty proactive about rolling it out early.

with that being said, even the 1st Model 3's off the line will likely make noise to comply with the NHTSA mandate for 2019.

16. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I wouldn't go that far. If it's considered safety equipment and you disable it, you'll likely fail any state vehicle inspection you're subject to.

On another note, would be cool if you could personalize your car's audible warning, it would be this decade's version of ringtones. LOL

• Like x 1
  17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking more of a bluetooth controlled switch interrupting the circuit so I could turn it on and off. One place I could really use it is inside parking garages. I fear someone is going to walk out in front of my car and damage the car... (they might get damaged themselves, but let's be honest, I care more about the car.) :p

They aren't going to let you customize it as they are very specific that people have to recognize it as a car.

• Like x 1
  18. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Oh, great. Tweens surreptitiously changing the EVtones of their parents' cars so the Bieb will be heard in shopping mall parking lots everywhere. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  19. eisbock

eisbock Member

Yes, you're probably right. At the very least, noisemaking technology will come pre-installed and be activated when the ruling is official.

20. eisbock

eisbock Member

My question is: how much of a problem is it that blind people are getting mowed down in the streets? This seems to be the driving factor for this regulation, but is it really a crisis currently plaguing humanity? Are we making up problems so we can solve them?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1