Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence about committing to buying a first gen Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is: how much of a problem is it that blind people are getting mowed down in the streets? This seems to be the driving factor for this regulation, but is it really a crisis currently plaguing humanity? Are we making up problems so we can solve them?
I think all cars should have bright flashing lights like police cars so that the hard of hearing and those wearing headphones (or otherwise self-absorbed) will be alerted of approaching cars. :rolleyes:

My question is: how much of a problem is it that blind people are getting mowed down in the streets? This seems to be the driving factor for this regulation, but is it really a crisis currently plaguing humanity? Are we making up problems so we can solve them?
There isn't an epidemic of people being mowed down by drunk drivers either. Should we ignore that too? While you're at it why not take out all the lights in your car and drive wearing a night vision scope. Then you will be invisible too!

Either you guys arguing about this stuff are selfish jerks, or you are so unthinking that you believe this will be a fog horn alert heard for miles. This will not be loud and obnoxious like trucks with those crazy loud beeps in reverse. This will be a sound that you probably won't even notice over the sound of your breathing, just loud enough so that blind people who rely on hearing to determine if a car is coming can be safe while driving at low speeds. At higher speed tire noise is sufficient for them.

When I searched for pedestrians being hurt or killed by an EV in a parking lot there were 0. When I expand even to Prius's I still get 0. So while our government can not balance (or even pass) a budget they can save us from the dreaded EVs.

On a similar note I really like the Volt solution of a quiet (pedestrian) horn on turn signal stalk as the normal horn will often startle people.

Reactions: Topher
On a similar note I really like the Volt solution of a quiet (pedestrian) horn on turn signal stalk as the normal horn will often startle people.
That would have been a much better solution if they really feel quiet cars need some kind of pedestrian warning device: a gentler horn to let the driver alert pedestrians who do not seem to be aware of your car's approach.

Reactions: dhrivnak
That would have been a much better solution if they really feel quiet cars need some kind of pedestrian warning device: a gentler horn to let the driver alert pedestrians who do not seem to be aware of your car's approach.
The problem there is you have to rely on the driver seeing the pedestrian which can be problematic. I think I'd rely more on the onboard sensors to detect a pedestrian better/faster than I can.

I wouldn't go that far. If it's considered safety equipment and you disable it, you'll likely fail any state vehicle inspection you're subject to.

On another note, would be cool if you could personalize your car's audible warning, it would be this decade's version of ringtones. LOL

No inspections in my State :)

I wish they would due to the horribly unsafe crap I see on the roads sometimes, but in this particular case I'm glad for it.

On a serious note though, most EVs already use this today such as the Leaf and smart ED. It's actually not that bad or noticeable as long as the law doesn't require making those noises worse. The smart ED noises are actually cool as hell. It sounds like the Star Trek impulse drive firing up. Unfortunately I lost the link to where they were posted.

Anyways, while I would prefer not to have this solution implemented, if you think it's bad just listen to a Leaf the next time it drives past you in a parking lot. You probably won't even notice it has an active pedestrian warning system.

Anyways, while I would prefer not to have this solution implemented, if you think it's bad just listen to a Leaf the next time it drives past you in a parking lot. You probably won't even notice it has an active pedestrian warning system.
But does the non-offensive sound that's currently implemented on the Leaf already meet the upcoming NHTSA mandate for required sound frequencies and minimum sound levels? If not, Nissan will have to change their sound and the question is whether this new sound will be harsher than what's currently implemented.

If the law is limited to only 'EVs' then it is blatantly unconstitutional. This would be akin to saying 'no Democrat may whistle while walking down the street' instead of 'no person'. Limiting the law to EVs is not rationally based; specifying 'any car' emitting below a specified db level at a given speed would be.

> The smart ED noises are actually cool as hell. [eloder]

Might you record these for other EV owners to play while cruising malls and downtown areas? Its fun as long as its not required! (Suggest the Sony ICD-PX333 as a handy sound recording device).
--

If the law is limited to only 'EVs' then it is blatantly unconstitutional. This would be akin to saying 'no Democrat may whistle while walking down the street' instead of 'no person'. Limiting the law to EVs is not rationally based; specifying 'any car' emitting below a specified db level at a given speed would be.

> The smart ED noises are actually cool as hell. [eloder]

Might you record these for other EV owners to play while cruising malls and downtown areas? Its fun as long as its not required! (Suggest the Sony ICD-PX333 as a handy sound recording device).
--

No, actually, it's perfectly legal. In this case, it's legislating/regulating a particular product that behaves a certain way.

A more apt analogy than your "whistling" scenario:

In many states, you need to pass a background check and present ID when purchasing firearms or ammunition, but not if you're buying a paintball gun or paintballs.

I've been lucky with my 2015 MS. Haven't had any problems or complaints with the build quality.

I did demo a 75D and P90DL Model X for 4 days and I had many issues with the two MX loaners. FWD cracked when opening and closing, drivers side door window would close on top of the door frame, passenger side mirror would raise up when reversing instead of lowering. Rattles in the back and AP engagement issues. It a fantastic and amazing work of art, but personally I'm going to wait another year for Tesla to work out the small issues before I lease or purchase. I assume the M3 will be the same way. Buying a first gen will have small things to fix or complain about. It really comes down to personal preference.

> In this case, it's legislating/regulating a particular product that behaves a certain way. [ModelNforNerd]

No, since other categories of vehicle behave in the same manner (the very large population of quiet ICEs). Thats what makes it unconstitutional. And legal laws are the only ones found unconstitutional, btw. Being constitutional is so *inconvenient*; it is more politically effective to pick an unpopular group and aim the legislation directly against them.

Example of a constitutional law would be the 85db noise law which is often posted on signs upon entering a village or special district. It is fact based and applies either to all vehicles or else only to the type specified (or pictured) on the sign e.g. dirt bikes.
--

Last edited:
> In this case, it's legislating/regulating a particular product that behaves a certain way. [ModelNforNerd]

No, since other categories of vehicle behave in the same manner (the very large population of quiet ICEs). Thats what makes it unconstitutional. And legal laws are the only ones found unconstitutional, btw. Being constitutional is so *inconvenient*; it is more politically effective to pick an unpopular group and aim the legislation directly against them.

Example of a constitutional law would be the 85db noise law which is often posted on signs upon entering a village or special district. It is fact based and applies either to all vehicles or else only to the type specified (or pictured) on the sign e.g. dirt bikes.
--

Sorry, I'm trying to use common sense here. You don't need to regulate the noise level an ICE makes near pedestrians, because they make sufficient noise to allow for visually impaired people to be aware of their presence.

Maybe it's my lack of caffeine this morning, but maybe you could explain "legal laws are the only ones found unconstitutional". By the very definition of the phrase, a legal law cannot be unconstitutional. It wouldn't be a "legal" law if it WAS unconstitutional.

As all of the constitutional lawyers I've ever heard of live in Wyoming, I'm sure you're quite busy, I'll let you get back to it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: