Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence about committing to buying a first gen Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't an epidemic of people being mowed down by drunk drivers either. Should we ignore that too? While you're at it why not take out all the lights in your car and drive wearing a night vision scope. Then you will be invisible too!
Haha what? Drunk drivers mow down 2000 pedestrians per year, which is 50% of all pedestrian deaths. I'd call that an epidemic!

I'm not even sure what your point is.

Sorry, I'm trying to use common sense here. You don't need to regulate the noise level an ICE makes near pedestrians, because they make sufficient noise to allow for visually impaired people to be aware of their presence.
That's not true however, since an "ICE" noise level can vary significantly. For example, a Rolls Royce would have a completely different noise profile than a Corolla. Most premium class vehicles (which outnumber hybrids and EVs by a large margin) now have extensive sound insulation in the engine bay, with significantly lower noise levels. The law should set a dB minimum that applies to all passenger vehicles or it's simply unfairly targeting a class of vehicles (hybrids and EVs).

Last edited:
That's not true however, since an "ICE" noise level can vary significantly. For example, a Rolls Royce would have a completely different noise profile than a Corolla. Most premium class vehicles (which outnumber hybrids and EVs by a large margin) now have extensive sound insulation in the engine bay, with significantly lower noise levels. The law should set a dB minimum that applies to all passenger vehicles or it's simply unfairly targeting a class of vehicles (hybrids and EVs).
they're saying you need to produce noise. they're not saying you can't drive it at all.

please stop using phrases like "targeting", you make it sound as if you're being persecuted. It's a simple technological fix that makes complete sense for the safety of all involved.

next you'll tell me that drunk driving laws unfairly target those who like to get plowed and then go plowing through pedestrians.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

they're saying you need to produce noise. they're not saying you can't drive it at all.

please stop using phrases like "targeting", you make it sound as if you're being persecuted. It's a simple technological fix that makes complete sense for the safety of all involved.

next you'll tell me that drunk driving laws unfairly target those who like to get plowed and then go plowing through pedestrians.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm simply pointing out this law is unfair to hybrids and EVs because they don't apply to other vehicles (particularly ICE vehicles are completely excluded) that may be as quiet if not more quiet. A fair law would apply to all passenger vehicles based on the minimum dB necessary for a pedestrian to hear the vehicle under some standard (this assumption may be specious in the first place based on background noise levels; personally I feel there are lots of problems with the studies used to support this law, but that's a discussion for another time).

In case this is not clear, this new law only applies to hybrids and EVs. ICE vehicles do not need noisemakers no matter how quiet they are.

Drunk driving laws use an objective BAC measure to determine if you have violated it. An analogous law to this noise one would be a vague one that makes it illegal to drive a car after you leave a bar (under the assumption that most people leaving a bar is not fit to safely drive a vehicle). Would you think such a law is fair?

Last edited:
> In this case, it's legislating/regulating a particular product that behaves a certain way. [ModelNforNerd]

No, since other categories of vehicle behave in the same manner (the very large population of quiet ICEs). Thats what makes it unconstitutional. And legal laws are the only ones found unconstitutional, btw. Being constitutional is so *inconvenient*; it is more politically effective to pick an unpopular group and aim the legislation directly against them.

Example of a constitutional law would be the 85db noise law which is often posted on signs upon entering a village or special district. It is fact based and applies either to all vehicles or else only to the type specified (or pictured) on the sign e.g. dirt bikes.
--

Since driving an EV is not a protected activity and drivers of EVs are not a protected class, I wouldn't expect a US court to find the law unconstitutional.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Why harp about the constitution ? Equitable treatment sounds good to me.

Not to get too political....we've had enough of that lately.....

but a BEV is inherently quieter. Deal with it, and the legal implications of it, or buy a Honda.

Life isn't that hard, but it is if you constantly complain about things.

Me? I just plan to have my radio playing. I'll never hear the "pedestrian safety noise" anyway.

Or not.
I really do not understand your position that a quiet ICE is OK for blind people but a quiet EV is not.

If you're complaining that the government is going to require your car to make noise, getting through what you're thankful for today should be an hours-long production, because clearly you have no other problems in your life.

I find this whole argument petty and ridiculous, and honestly, why the Election turned out the way it did.

I'm sure there are people responding to this thread who feel "sad and threatened" by an American flag, etc etc etc.

Lighten up and get through your life.

None of us get out alive.

one more point to your absurdity.....

you've lined up to drop $35K+ on a car, and you're pissing and moaning about how life is "unfair". what about the potential blind pedestrian you'd be endangering?

Stop being petulant children, FFS.

See post #32
music to one's ears :)
winner winner
Honestly I just watched a bunch of videos and while the sound is neat, it's kind of annoying. It's louder than all the other cars driving around it, and it's not a soft "putt putt putt", but rather an abrasive, grating noise. Maybe it's just the pitch or the camera mics aren't doing it justice, but I would hope Tesla comes up with a better noise than that.

Honestly I just watched a bunch of videos and while the sound is neat, it's kind of annoying. It's louder than all the other cars driving around it, and it's not a soft "putt putt putt", but rather an abrasive, grating noise. Maybe it's just the pitch or the camera mics aren't doing it justice, but I would hope Tesla comes up with a better noise than that.

try and hear it live
it's really nothat loud
many ICE vehicles have louder sounds coming from exhausts:)