Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence about committing to buying a first gen Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I just watched a bunch of videos and while the sound is neat, it's kind of annoying. It's louder than all the other cars driving around it, and it's not a soft "putt putt putt", but rather an abrasive, grating noise. Maybe it's just the pitch or the camera mics aren't doing it justice, but I would hope Tesla comes up with a better noise than that.
Heard from inside the car or outside ?

First gen Model 3s will likely have problems that will be ironed out in a few years, much like the Model S. Many will still buy, but some will lease then buy the next gen of 3s. No first gen car is perfect, but that's not what this topic is about. It's to give you a compelling reason to take the plunge on a risky first gen car.

NHTSA Decides That EVs Shouldn’t Be Quiet — Have To Include Fake Sounds

Buy your Model 3 now before the government forces your car to make fake noise when driving around town!

If you were to put your reservation in today you wouldn't get a car until sometime in 2019. By then almost 500k car would have been produced. Any first GEN issues would have been resolved. Unlike other companies Tesla continues to improve cars even between Model years. In addition you frequently will get software updates. I have learned with my Model X which was made the first week of production you don't want one of the first cars off the production line but after 5,000 cars things are pretty stable. With ramp up this will happen after about two months of production on the Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Heard from inside the car or outside ?
Outside. It would suck to hear that from the inside.

Point is, I don't want my car to be so loud and obnoxious that it actually annoys pedestrians and people with their windows rolled down. But I think the camera mic really takes a lot of depth out of the sound so that's why it hurts the ears. I bet it sounds awesome in person. But it's still kinda loud. Videos where multiple cars drive by followed by the Karma and the Karma is by far the loudest. Seems like overkill.

Suggest getting a Model 3 a year after it comes out. That version will be improved from the first one. If on the fence you will find flaws in it and kick yourself for getting it. Save up and buy after a year or so. You will be able to get the version you want and not be stressed.

Suggest getting a Model 3 a year after it comes out. That version will be improved from the first one. If on the fence you will find flaws in it and kick yourself for getting it. Save up and buy after a year or so. You will be able to get the version you want and not be stressed.
Flaws can be fixed under warranty and if you wait then you might be out $7500 tax credit...

I've given up on a tax credit-50k is my max. If I get a credit great-but I'm not going to expect one. I expected model 3 part 2 unveil to already happen-which hasn't which means it is running late. I'm expecting a 4 month delay in deliveries. Yes some of the first ones on the west coast will be delivered very late 2017 but in reality-I won't see mine ordered 11:43am march 31st - until late Spring 2018. That's my honest guess at this point. They've had 9 months to get unveil 2 out and they haven't. Something seems wrong. Personally, I think skully is taking longer than expected to produce 400k huds or a hud that tesla wants and that's the major hold up. I'm not blaming Elon/tesla/gf for the delay. It's others-vendors that are doing it. Now maybe I'm wrong, but Elon said he wanted preliminary parts by July (unrealistic), but now were are in Dec. I thought a true prototype of the final product would be shown by now. Perhaps, it is being tested first in the desert and iceland (or somewhere extremely cold). They only need 1 car for unveil 2.
Aside to Elon-
Please tesla fix that rear tire well. It's unbalanced around the tire and looks horrible compared to the S.

I expected model 3 part 2 unveil to already happen-which hasn't which means it is running late.
Part 2 was on time... you mean Part 3;)

Revealing that the line up was going to come self driving capable was a big deal.

Elon said he wanted preliminary parts by July (unrealistic), but now were are in Dec.
July 2017... we are in Dec 2016.

Unveil Part 3 is scheduled for Spring 2017, it's not late until Summer 2017

Because it is Elon-I'm still open to shock and awe. If he get's it out early or on time-I'll be shocked.
We know the exact cause of the Model X delay and the Early Model S troubles. Since the Model 3 is a simpler car and much of the core systems have already been tried out on Model S/X I can't see there being much of a delay unless a supplier flakes. They've been preparing for this for years.

Jeff-no hud-3 will have a hud. Skully has a very complicated hud system. Tesla will want a hud the way tesla wants it-what info they want to post on the windshield and where. Skully has to find a way to make it quick and easy to install/customize by user. This to me is a huge delay possibility, but still a requirement that needs to get done before unveil 2.

I've given up on a tax credit-50k is my max. If I get a credit great-but I'm not going to expect one. I expected model 3 part 2 unveil to already happen-which hasn't which means it is running late.
Just because something doesn't meet your expectations doesn't mean there is a problem, it could very well mean that your expectations were inflated. In fact, most people here were assuming the final reveal would be in the spring anyway, which was confirmed a few weeks ago. In the same conference call Elon said that everything is on schedule for the Model 3. They only completed the designs 4 months ago and ordered parts a little after that. There are ton of things that have to happen before they can produce anything resembling a working car. I wouldn't get worked up over it until you have something definitive to get worked up over.

Jeff-no hud-3 will have a hud. Skully has a very complicated hud system. Tesla will want a hud the way tesla wants it-what info they want to post on the windshield and where. Skully has to find a way to make it quick and easy to install/customize by user. This to me is a huge delay possibility, but still a requirement that needs to get done before unveil 2.
There would only be a delay if it's hardware related. The hardware in a HUD is the easy part. The software is what determines the user interface etc. Therefore they can still release on time and always update the software at a later date, it's not a big deal. (it's not like a faulty mechanical system)

Vick-where's the hud? Where's the programming behind it? Where's the power socket in the dashboard? What kind of socket is it?
Is it interchangeable/upgradeable? Tesla's console will need to talk to it and configure it-development. In my mind it is late due to seeing who tesla has hired lately. There are my expectations only. I do hope I'm wrong, but odds are slightly in my favor right now. I'm watching skully hud stock very closely and nvidia as well. I'm also monitoring tesla's job postings daily.

Vick-where's the hud? Where's the programming behind it? Where's the power socket in the dashboard? What kind of socket is it?
Is it interchangeable/upgradeable? Tesla's console will need to talk to it and configure it-development. In my mind it is late due to seeing who tesla has hired lately. There are my expectations only. I do hope I'm wrong, but odds are slightly in my favor right now. I'm watching skully hud stock very closely and nvidia as well. I'm also monitoring tesla's job postings daily.

I thought they hired him months ago? Like Jeff mentioned though, the brains and the workhorse behind the hud is the software, software can always be updated. If they really are planning a hud I'd assume they had panned to do so from the start and a lot of the hardware questions had already been addressed.

I hope you're wrong too :D

I think we'll all find out in a few months.