Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on the fence about committing to buying a first gen Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get what's so great about HUD. I don't want to see things in my field of view when I'm driving. What am I missing? Maybe I can create or find a thread about that, but it seems relevant to this thread right now.
I depends, would you argue that it's safer to look away at a phone or gps unit for map data or is it better to be overlaid against reality (augmented reality style)?

What if it could alert you visually to impending collision risks (at the site of potential collision)? What if it could highlight a deer leaping toward the road.

A dumb HUD is one thing... the real game changer is an augmented reality HUD.

Jeff-no hud-3 will have a hud. Skully has a very complicated hud system. Tesla will want a hud the way tesla wants it-what info they want to post on the windshield and where. Skully has to find a way to make it quick and easy to install/customize by user. This to me is a huge delay possibility, but still a requirement that needs to get done before unveil 2.
Isn't Skully done? I thought their board shut the company down after ousting the 2 founders for stealing company money.

I was not referring to Tesla's uptake of an old Skully employee... Please read the post that I Quoted from "tsla007" and you would see that...
Yes, his post was misguided as well.... need to nip the misinformation in the bud. ;) I was worried your post might be misconstrued as Tesla is working with a now defunct company. You are correct though that Skully is no more. The helmet was a gimmick at best, poorly executed and people stopped funding them.

Honestly if anyone wants to pick up that project, I'd tell them to wait until you have a full length/width transparent OLED (or even full size holographic waveguides) and real time processing. Don't waste people's time with a little screen in the corner.

Last edited:
It will look sort of like this without the dashboard mount-it'll be flush mounted.
navdy1.jpg

It will look sort of like this without the dashboard mount-it'll be flush mounted.
navdy1.jpg

I drove a Chevy Tahoe last week, and it had a small HUD projected on the windshield. It was simple, about 4-5 inches wide and displayed speed, sat radio station info, and tach. They projection hardware was hidden from sight.

It seems pretty straightforward. Tesla should be able to knock it out of the park.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I drove a Chevy Tahoe last week, and it had a small HUD projected on the windshield. It was simple, about 4-5 inches wide and displayed speed, sat radio station info, and tach.

Well, static HUD has been around for a while, even my 2009 Toyota Prius has got one.

For Model 3, some predict a much more advanced HUD that will augment the outside view giving the driver extra information like highlighting road exits and other navigation aid. That is a whole new ballgame tech wise.

Well, static HUD has been around for a while, even my 2009 Toyota Prius has got one.

For Model 3, some predict a much more advanced HUD that will augment the outside view giving the driver extra information like highlighting road exits and other navigation aid. That is a whole new ballgame tech wise.

Given some of their recent hires, like video game people, that wouldn't surprise me.

I certainly would love if this is the case but I think augmented HUD may be a little too bleeding edge especially in regards to manufacturing the first gen Model 3. I think we will see this down the road but it might be a little much to implement quickly for mass production, seems a little unrealistic. I fully expect a static HUD but probably much larger in size than most on the market now which are only about 12" wide at most.

Reactions: Jayc
I certainly would love if this is the case but I think augmented HUD may be a little too bleeding edge especially in regards to manufacturing the first gen Model 3. I think we will see this down the road but it might be a little much to implement quickly for mass production, seems a little unrealistic. I fully expect a static HUD but probably much larger in size than most on the market now which are only about 12" wide at most.
I'm feeling pretty confident that there will be a HUD and it will have augmented reality. First, Elon said it will be like a space ship. A static HUD wouldn't qualify for that in my opinion and I think Elon would agree. As for the complexity it adds, almost all of the necessary components have already been confirmed. The cameras, radar, etc that is part of AP2 is what will allow augmented reality to become a reality. The other necessary component for HUD is the display projector. A projector is not futuristic or complex. To me the only complex "component" is the software that has to integrate the AP2 hardware and the display. But this is intellectual complexity not physical production complexity. It doesn't make the M≡ more difficult to mass produce. And they can update this part over the air to fix anything they've overlooked if need be..

This view of HD is great. Put that view in play driving towards the sun.....It disappears. Or at least mine does. - ALL of the time.
If they're planning on using a HUD then they will optimize Tesla Glass to provide sufficient contrast to make it usable in almost all conditions. The other piece would be using a projector that has a high enough level of brightness to overcome bright ambient conditions. I'm not saying they can solve all possible conditions but they should be able to at least minimize the times it becomes difficult to use.

Last edited:
If they're planning on using a HUD then they will optimize Tesla Glass to provide sufficient contrast to make it usable in almost all conditions. The other piece would be using a projector that has a high enough level of brightness to overcome bright ambient conditions. I'm not saying they can solve all possible conditions but they should be able to at least minimize the times it becomes difficult to use.
Fair enough. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the sunlight-the window is to be slightly tinted - light tan-this way light behind the glass is still better than the sunlight coming from the back of the glass. Also, it was said in one of the interviews that elon wants it to auto change color once brightness sensor is kicked on. (hud turns red or navy blue.)