TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Still on the fence: Model 3 vs Model S

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mrtian97, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Still long time before need to decide, reserved Model 3 on April 1 (my guess I am #200,000 in the line). Been going back and forth between the 3 and S. Either car, I plan to purchase for the $7,500 credit. Timing wise, I can wait till Summer 2018 while ideally like to have it by end of 2017.

M3 pro:
    - Lower price, may get more options like AP, new bodystyle
    Cons:
    - smaller interior, currently I drive bmw 3 series, would like to have more room
    - may be less luxury than the S

For the S, I may go with basic car with maybe Tan leather.

Looking forward for others to chime in.
    Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It's really about personal choice and how much cash you have...

I mean you can technically get the same cargo space in a Model S as you can in a Chevy Bolt. Do you want a Chevy Bolt? Probably not.

Personally, with the options I want, a Model 3 is the only choice in my price range.

3. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

I was thinking about this recently and I don't think we will be able to make a decision until we test drive a Model 3. The MS feels very solid and stable on the road and it is an absolute joy to drive; will the smaller and lighter M3 deliver a similar experience?

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

I had the same dilemma, so I bought a Model S 75 during the September inventory sale. I also have a reservation for Model 3 but probably defer one time to see how things roll out with the M3, more exact delivery dates, pricing, etc. Meanwhile, the S 75 is a great car with more than adequate acceleration and range. It fact, it's so nice, I might pass on the Model 3. I paid $78K out the door with pano roof and AP as the only options. That price also included referral discount, delivery, very high California sales taxes, and DMV fees.

Even as a current owner of a Tesla, I doubt I would get the Fed. tax on the M3 which I got on the MS. I didn't reserved the M3 until 4/1/16.

5. xav-

xav- Member

It's a tough one. I personally ended leasing a Chevy volt and wait for the model 3. That said if AP20 had been out at the time I would likely have pulled the trigger. It's basically a $20 to $25k move. Is it worth spending that money to save 2 or 3 years?

6. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

How old are you? That could play into your decision.

7. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

So you've got about 30 left (on average) depending on where in the 40's you are. You can survive a couple of years without a Tesla. It's not ideal but you're still relatively young.

Next question is your net worth, marital status and number of dependents (aka kids), if any. Obviously, I understand if you don't want to answer but really these are the questions you need to ask yourself in coming to a decision.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

If it were me in So Cal, I'd go with a Bolt until the Model 3 comes along. It's not as good as an S, but it's cheaper and has decent range.

10. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

1/3 of the recent Model S purchases have been model 3 reservation-impatient-stretch buyers. who ultimately math out at 55K for model 3 vs 73K model S. With the sure tax credit - its an easy math to convince yourself.

• Like x 1
  11. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

I agree with this, their model 3 announcement surely a great marketing to the model S also, creating more visibility to the brand

12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

13. Jayc

Jayc Member

I am waiting for M3 rather than going for an S right now because:
    * I like a Gen3 car than a Gen2, my current non-Tesla car is also a Gen3
    * MS is too expensive for me even though I can buy it
    * M3 I reckon will be close to MS interior space
    * MS exterior is a bit too big for me, I reckon there will be dents within the first few days of parking an S in a supermarket parking lot
    * I can get a used CPO MS in 12 months if I really want or if M3 progress is not good, 100% sure current car will run well for as long as I want, it is a Toyota

14. xav-

xav- Member

I was telling people purchasing the Nissan Leaf at the beginning that they could likely purchase a model s for a similar price.

Well it turns out I was not far off. People bought the cars for $30k after tax cut.. Then in 2 or 3 years the cars depreciated to $8k.. You do the math. That's about the same depreciation as a base model S.

I am not saying the bolt will depreciate as fast as the leaf.. But it definitely will depreciate fast. Buying a brand new bolt to sell it in 2 years is a very bad idea.

My prediction: in 6 months to a year from now, Chevy will give $5,000 to $6,000 off on the Bolt. That will push leases to $200 a month after taxes, with little due at signing.

• Like x 2
  15. CTreast

CTreast Member

You aren't kidding either! I skipped the lease craze and picked up a used Leaf for exactly 8. Free charging @ work and I'm proving to myself that if I can live within the constraints of a Leaf, then any Tesla will be a day in the park. I haven't gone to a gas station in 6 months and even though gas prices have stayed low, I sure don't miss the time suck.

• Like x 6
  16. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I have a M3 on reserve but when Tesla offered the new 60 I jumped on it that day. My primary motivations at the time were 1. The 60 is a smokin deal(I actually thought it might be a temporary offering) esp. with govt. incentives 2. The MS has been around for a bit and is "tried and true" 3. Really don't want to wait another year or so for the M3(tho haven't pulled my reservation). Couldn't be happier with my decision...the S is an absolutely incredible car.

I paid for some upgrades(pano roof, AP, color) but even without those it would be an amazing car.

• Like x 3
  17. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

For me, Model 3 wins over a Model S60 for 2 reasons:

1. Dollar for dollar, the 3 will be the better value. Just a random number, but if you spend $65,000, you're going to get way "more car" in a Model 3. Your Design Studio will have quite a few boxes ticked off.

2. The size of the vehicle. While the extra few inches here and there may not seem like much to most people, those of us who have to squeeze into a 1 car garage will be thankful for the 3's smaller dimensions. Especially since it will have more interior space than a comparably-sized ICE.

18. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Many of us are in that Tesla boat :)
    I was driving a Yukon XL and just could not think of driving that for another year or two depending on when my number came up. It was creeping on 100,000 miles and the repair bills started adding up.
    Reserved April 1st as well. Then the re-fresh and 60kwh battery. Damn, Tesla your pushing me! Well, they pushed me over the edge and I was prepared to plunk down more money for a car i ever thought possible. Changed to a lease on the last day and I'm glad I did. 2 months after delivery comes the AP 2.0 announcement. :eek:
    The best car i have ever had, not even close! This is not helping the OP. decide, sorry :cool:
    Really to me, comes down to money. If you can afford it, want bigger than the 3, what are you waiting for? Order your Model S now, never been a better time to buy

• Like x 3
  19. Beryl

Beryl Member

Like others have stated -- it depends on your financial position and how long you are willing to wait before living the dream. Knowing what I know now, I could not wait another year and would get the best Model S in my reach.

20. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

#20 mbhforum, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    I have been having this internal debate in my head for the past 2 weeks. I reserved a M3 on day 1, but then I read about the new 5 series with wireless Carplay next year that is coming out and was intrigued and then I realized, "well, if I am going to spend 5 series money, why wouldn't I get a MS at this point?! Technology is going to be a huge deciding factor in my next car. I currently drive a 3 series just like the OP and with 2 kids (ages 2 and 4), it's tight, so we never use my car with the kids (always the wife's Pathfinder). I always envisioned graduating to the 5 series until I became enfatuated with Tesla. Before the M3 announcement, I wasn't planning on getting one b/c I figured from a cabin space perspective, it was on par with my current car, which is small. However, after seeing the unveiling and the additional cabin space, I decided to reserve it. My 3 series now has 53k miles and is in great shape and I do love the car, but it's been almost 7 years and I am getting the itch for something new.

Fortunately, I don't have to make this decision probably for at least 8-12 months. I am going to see how my finances are when ready and price out the M3, MS and 5 series out and decide then. My wife sat in a Model S when in a mall in Florida a year ago and really likes it also (which means I sorta have the green light!). In the meantime, I will continue to save as much as I can to put me in a better position to buy the car I truly want :). I was planning on getting a new car end of 2017 as one of my kids day care payments is ending, so timing is working out. I am also closely monitoring the tax credit situation.