Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still stuck on 2019.5.15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still on 5.15 but got a software update notification almost two weeks ago and the software update I received will not upload. Called Tesla’s helpline and told me to try again over the next week and if I don’t get a new update to contact them again. I emailed them and haven’t heard back yet...I’ll probably swing by the Service center to see if they can upload software for me there.

If your update notification was for 2019.8.3 and you were later not able to update, it was likely because Tesla pulled the release. I have heard of this happening to some people on the forums, and while I was on a call yesterday with Tesla Support, they had mentioned that 8.3 was pulled. If you have time to kill, you can always walk into the service center, but with the frequency of updates recently, you may want to wait it out.

And just like that I received my software update this morning and have leaped forward to the latest firmware like novox77 said. So 2019.8.5

So Tesla never gave me a software update since 2019.5.15, but I received the mass update to 2019.8.5.

A good lesson learned on what the experience may be for some vs. others.

So this does work!

I submitted the firmware update request wed. Friday a service tech texted me asking when my car would be connected to WIFI so he could push the update. That evening I got 8.5. :)

Interesting. How far out was the appointment scheduled for? I submitted a service request a few days ago but first available day was April 26. I needed a few other things done on the car so the category I submitted was for tires and wheels but then I added a note in the comments about needing a software update as well.

I’m actually still stuck on 2018.50.6 on my LR RWD. Have been on it for months. My car has never gone this long between updates; starting to think something might be stuck with the firmware download / update process.

Interesting. How far out was the appointment scheduled for? I submitted a service request a few days ago but first available day was April 26. I needed a few other things done on the car so the category I submitted was for tires and wheels but then I added a note in the comments about needing a software update as well.
The actual service center appt was scheduled for this coming Tuesday. I think the Tampa service center got the request, and rather than waste their time (and mine) with a visit to update the firmware, just pushed it to me instead.
I think this is a new thing, and something those interested can use to get updates quicker.

I was on 2019.5.14 and had yet to receive any updates on my M3. I logged into my Tesla account and clicked the “chat” button. I was connected with a rep who asked me for my VIN number. He logged it in the system and scheduled me for an update. I received the update notification on my phone five minutes later. Took me all of five minutes. I wish I’d tried that earlier. Lesson learned.

I was on 2019.5.14 and had yet to receive any updates on my M3. I logged into my Tesla account and clicked the “chat” button. I was connected with a rep who asked me for my VIN number. He logged it in the system and scheduled me for an update. I received the update notification on my phone five minutes later. Took me all of five minutes. I wish I’d tried that earlier. Lesson learned.
Don't see any chat feature in my Tesla account. Can you screen shot it so i can see where it is?

I was stuck on 18.50.6 for 3+ months. Then, last Thursday, I was updated directly to 19.8.5

The point is, patience is the best strategy.
Just in time for 2019.12; starting to see this version showing up on TeslaFi ..

To summarize the update:
• No-confirmation Navigate on Autopilot
• Car can maintain torque and power for more time while at high speed (targeted at autobahn drivers?)
• More info and configuration for software updates, including what appears to be an update on demand (WiFi only) feature
• Atari games are better optimized and have improved controls, and there are new games as well (notably Super Breakout and 2048)
• Car will warm the battery en route to superchargers to arrive at an optimal temperature for fast charging (they say average charge time reduction of 25%)
• More supported language for the infotainment system, including navigation voice
• Improved web browser (chromium based according to rumors) with video streaming support while parked and connected to WiFi
• Configurable TPMS alerts
• Warning for if you’re about to run a red light while using autosteer

Last edited:
Reactions: electrictorque
Just in time for 2019.12; starting to see this version showing up on TeslaFi ..

To summarize the update:
• No-confirmation Navigate on Autopilot
• Car can maintain torque and power for more time while at high speed (targeted at autobahn drivers?)
• More info and configuration for software updates, including what appears to be an update on demand (WiFi only) feature
• Atari games are better optimized and have improved controls, and there are new games as well (notably Super Breakout and 2048)
• Car will warm the battery en route to superchargers to arrive at an optimal temperature for fast charging (they say average charge time reduction of 25%)
• More supported language for the infotainment system, including navigation voice
• Improved web browser (chromium based according to rumors) with video streaming support while parked and connected to WiFi
• Configurable TPMS alerts
• Warning for if you’re about to run a red light while using autosteer
I have 19.12 and streaming from browser is not supported yet. I tried Netflix, YouTube and Hulu without luck.

Question:
When you buy a new M3, do they update to the latest version at the Dealer when you pick up the car? Or are you stuck with whatever version was installed at manufacture, and you have to wait for update like everyone else?
Yes, they are almost always on the latest firmware. And if you ever go in for service they'll update the firmware.

Reactions: Mdoss
I have 19.12 and streaming from browser is not supported yet. I tried Netflix, YouTube and Hulu without luck.
IP packets are tagged for the type of information. Certain information if it gets dropped or corrupted can be retransmitted. (For example, time-based data, like for Videostreaming and VoIP, are dropped if the check sum doesn't match what's expected. A file transfer can resend a corrupted section of needed though.)

So bottom line, trying different services probably isn't going to help. The type of packets for video streaming are probably being blocked from all services.

I'll take 5.15 back in a heartbeat, 8.x completely disabled all autopilot, cruise control, emergency braking, auto wiper, sentry, and other related functions.
On 8.3 I started getting black frozen screens requiring a forced reboot (hold both scroll wheels down) every couple of days. Car still works but can't see any data about speed or climate. Looking forward to the fix

Still on 2019.5.15. I’ve had the car less than a month. Teslafi shows I’m in the minority with most being in 2019.8. Is there anything I can do to facilitate the update? Is it possible there’s something wrong with my update process? Thanks for your help.

Still on 2019.5.15. I’ve had the car less than a month. Teslafi shows I’m in the minority with most being in 2019.8. Is there anything I can do to facilitate the update? Is it possible there’s something wrong with my update process? Thanks for your help.

In general; it’s a good idea to be patient about getting on the latest Tesla release. Sometimes there are issues which have come up and need to be resolved. I’ve found that the 2019.8.x release has been buggy and have had to deal with AP failures and other issues that were more stable in prior releases.

Your local SC has the ability to get firmware updates pushed to your car, but I have found that they are getting busier and busier and may not want to address it unless you’re reporting an issue that has been fixed in the current release.

If you’re on a WiFi network while parked updates will also come more frequently.