Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for CHAdeMO Charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I do appreciate humor and the fact that we get new software version with FARTS, what I would really love is an update that helps me on the long run.

Why did we not get yet a software update for CHAdeMO charging?

I reside in Montreal, Québec, Canada and we have been precursor of this electric trend since 2010. Our charging network is one of the largest in Canada with Find a station | The Electric Circuit.
Almost 3,000 charging station.
When I had a Model S, this was not an issue and I could charge with an adapter on all Level 3 charging station.

Now with my 3, not possible!!!

If you reside where there are a lot of Tesla chargers on your way to medium to long trips, no issue.
BUT HERE, they are very few of them and I think that Tesla is very slow in deploying because we have fewer Tesla and we already have a network in place! Why invest when it is already there!
EXCEPT I can't use it of any LEVEL 3 charging station, so if I want to go far, I would loose a LOT of hours on L2 charging.

Anyone has an idea or update when this would come??
Thanks and happy new year to all.

At this point in the life cycle of charging standards I’d say the next announcement is more likely to address CCS standard rather than CHAdeMO - already gone that way in Europe - CHAdeMO is a declining standard and the two emerging fast charger connections are Tesla Supercharger and CCS...

But who knows what Tesla will do.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and McFlurri
Our charging network is one of the largest in Canada with Find a station | The Electric Circuit.
Almost 3,000 charging station.
"The network now has 1,648 charging stations in service, including 133 fast-charge stations! "

So I guess with the exchange rate, this is like 3000 US stations?

I think that Tesla is very slow in deploying because we have fewer Tesla and we already have a network in place! Why invest when it is already there!
I think you answered your own question. Why would they invest if the cars are NOT there?

BUT HERE, they are very few of them
*Cough*

upload_2018-12-30_16-3-33.png

I did bring up this issue too. I am on a round trip, Montreal Fredericton. Between Montreal and Rivière du loup, no problem. However to cross New Brunswick with -15 c. You have to stop overnight. With an adapter, that would be easy.

Tesla makes their own charging circuits in our cars so certainly the Chademo capability was designed in from day one. I suspect many of the circuits and firmware are the same as their other car models that have native support.

There must be a strategic reason to not include this capability. I suspect we will soon CSS at the Superchargers even in the US and Elon has talked about opening the network to others. Once others have a ubiquitous network, there will be no marketing advantage to Tesla's network. I predict they are planning on adding the capability for some other manufacturer or anyone so that the business model of competitors implodes.

If that is their strategy, the Chademo adapter allows you fueling with the competitors. By not turning on the firmware capability, they are training customers to get used to their network and not losing the revenue associate with us feuling elsewhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
I suspect we will soon CSS at the Superchargers even in the US and Elon has talked about opening the network to others.
Has he said anything recently on this topic? Last I saw, he mentioned this, but no other manufacturer had reached out to them to express interest. That was several years ago.

Once others have a ubiquitous network, there will be no marketing advantage to Tesla's network. I predict they are planning on adding the capability for some other manufacturer or anyone so that the business model of competitors implodes.
The CHAdeMO install base in the US is as big/bigger than the SC install base. Probably thousands more if you include L2 stations. There are multiple established networks, with several new ones starting up. Lord knows why, because I don't see how they could possibly be profitable unless they partner with the manufacturers (like EVGo did with Nissan).[/quote][/quote]

Tesla makes their own charging circuits in our cars so certainly the Chademo capability was designed in from day one. I suspect many of the circuits and firmware are the same as their other car models that have native support.
Remember that Model 3 was heavily cost reduced and on a short schedule. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if some hardware was left off compared to MS/MX in order to save money and/or time, if ChaDeMo was rules not high priority.

The CHAdeMO install base in the US is as big/bigger than the SC install base.
Reference ?
Enjoy this one while you are looking

You might also want to consider what is in your comparison:
Chargers at dealerships that are unavailable by time or person ?
25 kW Vs 120 kW ?
Urban vs motor-way location ?
Single point locations that are inoperable or unavailable ?
EA stations that charge ~ 32 cents a kWh + $3 connect fee ?

When you actually delve into the particulars of the CHAdeMO network you learn that it is small, poorly planned, poorly maintained, poorly located, slow and expensive. Its marginal benefit to a Tesla owner is greater than zero, but not by much. The CCS network today is much the same but it at least is growing and improving, unlike CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7 and Reeler
I agree. Posted about this recently after a negative experience with Supercharging during my last trip: Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

I complained to Tesla about it, everyone please continue to request an adapter/support for CCS/CHAdeMO. I suggest submitting your original post to Tesla through email or via the website because you have great points.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I've just sent them an emal on the Help Page of my T3 account.
Happy New Year.

I did bring up this issue too. I am on a round trip, Montreal Fredericton. Between Montreal and Rivière du loup, no problem. However to cross New Brunswick with -15 c. You have to stop overnight. With an adapter, that would be easy.

Agreed. Did the same road trip last year, but with my S.... with the 3, you are screwed and need to do a very long stop.
E

It has to be a political thing. It can't be that hard to add support for this, right? Is it just software?

I bet tesla doesn't respect CHAdeMO technology or maybe even people in charge of it. What better way then to get rid of something you don't like then not allowing the majoirty of your cars (model 3) to not use it?

Of course maybe it's not that malicious, but tesla is also reinforcing supercharging at their own stations by not supporting CHAdeMO. It's a win-win for them unless people complain.

It has to be a political thing. It can't be that hard to add support for this, right? Is it just software?
It is a limited resources and limited time "thing."
It is also a key fob "thing." People clamored day and night for a key fob but how many do you think thought it was important enough to pay $150 to get one ? Similarly, how many Model S and X owners bought the $500 CHAdeMO adapter ?

I would buy a CCS adapter as the CHadeMO units always seemed to be out of service when we had our 2012 Nissan Leaf.
Exactly. The network is neglected because the market is dead in the US and most of Europe. I certainly am not going to buy a $500 CHAdeMO adapter to have access to an unreliable network.

CHAdeMO appears to be healthier in Canada, but in the US ? Dead