Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for CHAdeMO Charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI here is our chademo update: We called Tesla roadside for one of our Model 3 customers who went to Val d'or (an area with no superchargers nearby) to ask if Chademo works on the Model 3. The Tesla rep said only if it’s Gen2! Apparently she explained there are new Chademo adapters that are Gen2 that work with Model 3.
She said Gen2 is engraved on the adapter and it also says it on the box. (Our Chademos are Gen1)

Then she called me back and checked with a “California” Service centre that told her even Gen1 should work on Model 3.

We tried to send it to him with one of the buses that were heading to that remote area who have a service where you can send packages with the bus.
But the package office closes at 8pm (it was 10pm by that time). We found a Good Samaritan travelling on the bus who offered to take it with him!

When the bus arrived, the customer met the person at the station and got the Gen1 adapter from him and.....

it didn't work :(

We are not sure why the service centre in California would say it does work.
And we have yet to see a "Gen2" Chademo to test this theory

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.06.34 AM.png

They use a different port in Europe, so i'm guessing they could do something similar in Japan.

Tesla confirms Model 3 is getting a CCS plug in Europe, adapter coming for Model S and Model X
In Japan the Superchargers use the North American plug. There has been no movement by Tesla away from the North American charge port or plug, so I don't expect any change in Japan either.

CHAdeMO is so dominant as a charging standard in Japan that Tesla includes the CHAdeMO adapter with every Model S and Model X sold. I don't expect any change to that policy for Model 3 either. Tesla has been making some seemingly random decisions lately, but a change away from the NA Tesla connector in Japan would be a huge surprise.

Reactions: kbecks13
To all

As of mi-July, Tesla have been rolling out 24.4 software update and YES! this version allows the model 3 to use ChaDeMo charging and has been tested with new and old ChaDeMo charger. I did not yet get the update but should be soon! Great news.

Reactions: Reeler