Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for price cut on AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's true.
I'd like it, though, because it would mean a faster MCU upon AP upgrade... but this would go against Elon's statement about the ease of AP2-AP3 replacement, which is allegedly only requiring the computer swap.

I’m seeing the same thing on my M3 and MX. MX with EAP didnt get the drop in FSD addon price, but my M3 did. Does your Model X have MCU 1 or the new MCU 2? I have heard FSD will require the HW3 computer upgrade, and that HW3 also requires a new MCU 2 to work. So maybe Tesla isn’t offering the upgrade for FSD at the lower 2k price for older MCU 1 cars.

I have MCU 1. Does anyone with MS or MX with MCU 2 see the new $2000 price? If I to buy FSD, I am only buying it because of the HW 3 upgrade and not for the actual FSD.

Reactions: BHCLUC
I don't think it's true.
I'd like it, though, because it would mean a faster MCU upon AP upgrade... but this would go against Elon's statement about the ease of AP2-AP3 replacement, which is allegedly only requiring the computer swap.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure he made those statements before HW3 specs where known. Shortly after that we started seeing cars with MCU 2 and AP 2.5.

Also I know that my older MCU 1 has become quite a bit slower with a lot of lag since it was new. It seems like with every software update it’s proformance is getting worse leaving me to believe its being left behind.

Last edited:
It seems to be just happening with the M3's right now for some reason. It doesn't seem to be HW2 vs HW2.5 dependent on the MS/MX. I have a HW2.0 MX with EAP and the FSD upgrade shows as $3K (should be $2K right?). My HW2.5 MS with no EAP or FSD is showing that I can upgrade to AP/FSD for $11K (should be $5K right?).

Does anyone know if the current software is even able to recognize that you should have the new “bare bones” AP. It’s never been written into the cars software and I’m not sure they can add individual features such as TACC and Autosteer without adding the other features that were removed such as NOA,Summon,etc.

Seems like there might need to be another software update to the cars since this is a new autopilot configuration that hasn’t been offered before. So who knows how long thats going to take. We could be waiting over a month or more after paying to actually have it on our cars... not the “within 3 days” that it tells you after you purchase.

What’s the point of getting FSD now if the features can’t be used currently due to governmental laws?

Yeah I dont see the point of buying FSD right now even at the reduced price, especially after we saw what happened to the people buying FSD in the past.

I still look back on when I bought my first Tesla, a lot of it was based on the FSD video teased when AP2 was released. I remember them making the claim that AP2 cars were months away from FSD, this was 2 years ago. My AP2 car was garbage when it came to AP for at least the first 6-12 months of ownership. Today NOA is basically useless... I wont be spending any money on it until I see actual owners using it real world, and even then I doubt the proformance of it is going to be worth it for quite awhile.

Reactions: am_dmd
I called this afternoon and talked to sales to see if I could purchase over the phone. The rep was very nice but said it had to be through my tesla account, and they were rolling out throughout March. I thanked him and a few hours later it showed up.

I just bought AP+FSD for 5k. I have HW2.5. Like most folks, not sure FSD is worth it at the moment, but if pricing goes up again I’d kick myself. Also, watching EAP go from 5k to 6k to 7k, and EAP+FSD at 11k made it psychologically much easier :)

Reactions: JohnnyG and Duffer
AP+FSD 5k is showing up for me too! It figures, I'm doing a day road trip today and would love to have it for the trip. But I'm wary about buying it just before the trip and having something wacky happen. I guess I'll wait until I get back. I'm all in for FSD since it comes with actual features, including summon which I will use to get in and out of a tight squeeze in my garage.

For you people that are buying it tonight, I'm curious when it will show up and be active in your car.