Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting on Holiday Release Part 2 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet you still keep the car?

I'm so sick of this stupid way of thinking. I don't mean this as an attack on you, but we are allowed to like the product and not like Elon or his behavior.

I love my car (other than the seats), but I am *absolutely at my wits end* with how Tesla/Elon is operating, especially vis a vis overpromising and underdelivering and outright lying to customers about things that are happening. Will I buy *another* Tesla? Probably not, unless things change. But I'm not going to go sell my car over it, because I'm not a genetic throwback who is so naive as to think that selling my car does *anything* to improve my situation.

Unfortunately, it feels like Tesla is a side hustle for him at this point. While Space X is great and important, it seems like that's what has the majority of his focus. I've learned to take any timeline related to Tesla with a grain of salt. Feel bad for the people that had to front so much money for their Roadster that went form 2020 to TBD

I'm so sick of this stupid way of thinking. I don't mean this as an attack on you, but we are allowed to like the product and not like Elon or his behavior.
while I agree, You are wrongly assuming what I was thinking. It was actually an honest question of whether or not he is so upset that he wants to get rid of the car or just wants to see things change. I know someone so upset, they sold their Tesla and got a different EV. I'm actually with you on these thoughts. Like my car, but Elon needs to get with the plan :)

while I agree, You are wrongly assuming what I was thinking. It was actually an honest question of whether or not he is so upset that he wants to get rid of the car or just wants to see things change. I know someone so upset, they sold their Tesla and got a different EV. I'm actually with you on these thoughts. Like my car, but Elon needs to get with the plan :)

Yeah, totally get it, that's why I called out that I wasn't trying to attack you, but the thought that "If you don't like the CEO, sell your products from the company". I've seen people rage-sell products they own before for various reasons and it's always like "What? How does that help? If you like it, selling it only hurts _you_"

I still feel like there certainly is a second part to the update, but it's probably not coming real soon. I wonder how much of the software team is shared for the Chinese market. They had a holiday update recently that Tesla was probably trying to make sure was pushed out on time. In addition, it might be taking longer to make sure the new S/X software is up to date. One would think it would be low effort since the 3 and Y have that screen format, but I wouldn't be surprised if that took a lot of extra work on the software team.

I suspect we still will get improvements to navigation this year though; waypoint planning, possibly overlays for weather data, etc.

So I am just as frustrated as everyone with the massive misleading timelines / functionality over the last 6 months in particularly in FSD beta and V11. While what I am about to say isn’t an excuse my fear is it is the new reality.

tesla is getting more and more complicated. The software team has to support more and more car platforms across more countries. The company is growing larger and larger internally. Scale is what kills innovation. Software teams put out innovation slower and slower under these conditions because everything starts taking longer and longer, and what use to be easier is way more complex. I fear the days of Tesla pushing out software features at fast clip are over. What do you think all these bugs are doing? I gauruntee it’s resulting in more and more process overhead internally being added at a aggressive pace at Tesla on top and of the ever growing complexity of the various platforms they have to support and internal scaling/size complexity.

I think this is the new norm. The fun and joy of seeing our cars evolve at lightening speed are behind us.

just my theory of course but also my experience working in software..combine that with Elon who is the worst over promise and under deliver guy their is and here we are. It starts to feel more and more like a regular auto company experience before long, but don’t get me wrong they broke massive new ground and innovated the world to EV cars which deserves all the credit in the world. Amazing innovation.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
So I am just as frustrated as everyone with the massive misleading timelines / functionality over the last 6 months in particularly in FSD beta and V11. While what I am about to say isn’t an excuse my fear is it is the new reality.

tesla is getting more and more complicated. The software team has to support more and more car platforms across more countries. The company is growing larger and larger internally. Scale is what kills innovation. Software teams put out innovation slower and slower under these conditions because everything starts taking longer and longer, and what use to be easier is way more complex. I fear the days of Tesla pushing out software features at fast clip are over. What do you think all these bugs are doing? I gauruntee it’s resulting in more and more process overhead internally being added at a aggressive pace at Tesla on top and of the ever growing complexity of the various platforms they have to support and internal scaling/size complexity.

I think this is the new norm. The fun and joy of seeing our cars evolve at lightening speed are behind us.

just my theory of course but also my experience working in software..combine that with Elon who is the worst over promise and under deliver guy their is and here we are. It starts to feel more and more like a regular auto company experience before long, but don’t get me wrong they broke massive new ground and innovated the world to EV cars which deserves all the credit in the world. Amazing innovation.

I wholeheartedly disagree. First of all, FSD is groundbreaking. Their first attempt was a colossal failure, so they went back to the drawing board and started over.

That, alone, is the sign of a good engineering team. Admitting when you’ve hit a wall is being realistic. Slipping dates - by years - because it was a deathmarch is the right call.

Secondly, we’re about to see a brand new vehicle architecture. One of the biggest changes in 10 years is on the horizon .. 3 screen, separate entertainment computer, no discrete controls etc. All with a largely revamped interface.

There’s something big brewing under the hood. I suspect we won’t see it till after the new S & X launch, but that doesn’t mean it’s late, defective or incomplete.

It’s not that innovation has stopped, but it’s hard to keep finding new “Big Bang” features to blow you away.

Keep in mind that 3 years ago, when Model 3 was new, the FM radio didn’t even work.

Make a list of what’s iterated, added or improved in the last 3 years and you’ll be shocked.

Don’t get me wrong what they did over the last 3 yrs had blown me away. I don’t want to attack them or take away from how special they are.

Btw no issue with disagreeing with me, it’s all opinions (mine, yours, etc). As they say, opinions are free :)

I won’t try to further argue my opinion or points, as I myself don’t pretend I am for sure right. Only time will tell. I just know the new features coming to my model S drastically slowed and that is the only fact I can truly stand behind. The reason why? That is where my opinion comes in.

all good

I wholeheartedly disagree. First of all, FSD is groundbreaking. Their first attempt was a colossal failure, so they went back to the drawing board and started over.

That, alone, is the sign of a good engineering team. Admitting when you’ve hit a wall is being realistic. Slipping dates - by years - because it was a deathmarch is the right call.

Secondly, we’re about to see a brand new vehicle architecture. One of the biggest changes in 10 years is on the horizon .. 3 screen, separate entertainment computer, no discrete controls etc. All with a largely revamped interface.

There’s something big brewing under the hood. I suspect we won’t see it till after the new S & X launch, but that doesn’t mean it’s late, defective or incomplete.

It’s not that innovation has stopped, but it’s hard to keep finding new “Big Bang” features to blow you away.

Keep in mind that 3 years ago, when Model 3 was new, the FM radio didn’t even work.

Make a list of what’s iterated, added or improved in the last 3 years and you’ll be shocked.

There are plenty of "easy" little things Tesla could add to the software right now that would make so many people happy and could count as a yearly update or holiday release or anything. Waypoints, more control over how charging is integrated into the routes (being able to specify you want to skip a supercharger or something, etc) or just even an option for "more stops of shorter duration" or "fewer stops of longer duration", weather overlays. All things I would think a good software team could bang out pretty quickly given a yearly refresh cycle.

I look at Apple as being one of the best for hitting routine software updates. I totally think Apple holds back some stuff so they can package it into the next update and have a list of items they added or changed, etc. I think Tesla has a backlog pretty long that they could do the same for at least the next few updates.

I am curious if they have localization teams for China. I could see that software and holiday release pushing things back over here once they missed the holiday release deadline for us. Then with S/X coming out and having updated software to support the extra screen and change the format on the main screen... ya, it's probably pretty busy for them.

Hopefully they're trying to unify the software, at least down to the OS/Nav, between the cars so a single release can go out to all four cars. Then have a subset of guys working on games and anything that require the gaming computer, they probably can bounce back and forth between 3/Y and S/X platform and try to hit the same shipment date but if one slides a little bit it won't get too far behind. China should be 100% on their own and just have UI design, hardware integration, and management working with Tesla in USA to keep the experience largely the same, but not being written for the Chinese market.

If the 'holiday update' is what counts as 'innovation' at Tesla now, I would be happy if they transition do doing a lot less of it now.

That was for the best. It's unfortunate they fixed it.

FM’s still pretty good here in the NY metro area. That said - I’d prefer an AM tuner for exactly one station: 1010 WINS. It’s the most perfect form of news ever invented. No spin, just facts. When all else fails - storms, disasters, ruthless attacks — there’s always 1010 WINS.

I can replay hours and hours and hours of these archives in my head. Exactly where I was, what I saw and when it happened.

1010 WINS 9-11 AUDIO ARCHIVE
https://www.radio.com/1010wins/1010-wins-9-11-audio-archive

I see the frustration, but I don't really get all the hate over how Tesla is performing. From what I can remember, I don't think Tesla has delivered anything exactly on time since at least back in 2012. This is nothing new, but at the same time, while they are always late, they have also almost always delivered, and they are most of the time also still years ahead of the rest of the market in what they are offering.

If this was a 50 year old company with steady sales with the same issues Tesla is having, the complaints would make a lot of sense. But it's not, in the last 5 years they've scaled their manufacturing to producing something like 25,000 cars a year to 500,000 cars a year. Along with that rapid growth in manufacturing, they've had to scale up logistics, service, etc. (admittedly, many of these growing pains are ongoing). They're also developing their own battery tech, attempting vision based full self driving, etc.... I'm willing to cut them some significant slack at the moment..

I see the frustration, but I don't really get all the hate over how Tesla is performing. From what I can remember, I don't think Tesla has delivered anything exactly on time since at least back in 2012. This is nothing new, but at the same time, while they are always late, they have also almost always delivered, and they are most of the time also still years ahead of the rest of the market in what they are offering.

If this was a 50 year old company with steady sales with the same issues Tesla is having, the complaints would make a lot of sense. But it's not, in the last 5 years they've scaled their manufacturing to producing something like 25,000 cars a year to 500,000 cars a year. Along with that rapid growth in manufacturing, they've had to scale up logistics, service, etc. (admittedly, many of these growing pains are ongoing). They're also developing their own battery tech, attempting vision based full self driving, etc.... I'm willing to cut them some significant slack at the moment..
They dumped a UI update with a huge visual change on the whole Model 3/Y fleet right before Christmas, and it turns out many people don't like it (but some do, and some don't care, but some really really hate it). So your first component is anger.

Then there has been nearly complete radio silence from Tesla on this, except for like one vague tweet from Elon. We have no idea if we will be stuck with this UI trash long term/permanently or if we will have something better (and if so when). So there is a now a bunch of anxiety thrown in.

Then there is the realization that we have no power or control over this situation. Tesla has nearly full control over the software on our cars, and furthermore goes out of their way to make it nearly impossible for us to complain or give constructive feedback. So now throw in the feeling of powerlessness (over expensive things we freekin' own).

Then you have the people waiting for FSD, so some component of patience running out for those people.

FM’s still pretty good here in the NY metro area. That said - I’d prefer an AM tuner for exactly one station: 1010 WINS. It’s the most perfect form of news ever invented. No spin, just facts. When all else fails - storms, disasters, ruthless attacks — there’s always 1010 WINS.

I can replay hours and hours and hours of these archives in my head. Exactly where I was, what I saw and when it happened.

1010 WINS 9-11 AUDIO ARCHIVE

Yes!!! miss 1010 and 660.