Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still weird exiting car with music playing and just walking away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope it’s not. It’s about somebody wanting to use the car a certain way and inquiring wether it can be used that way. Sometimes better is the enemy of good enough. They can make it so technically advanced that it auto locks every freakin time wether you want it to or not but they can’t put a heated steering wheel in it.

If they plan on doing away with steering wheels, which they do, why plan and run wiring and heating to one and incur extra costs? They are working to keep manufacturing cost down.

We paid for winter pkg on our 2017 MS and it’s nice but there’s also gloves out there and if you pre-heat your Model 3 with driver’s air flow directed toward the steering wheel I find our Model 3 very efficient heating my car.

If they plan on doing away with steering wheels, which they do, why plan and run wiring and heating to one and incur extra costs? They are working to keep manufacturing cost down.

We paid for winter pkg on our 2017 MS and it’s nice but there’s also gloves out there and if you pre-heat your Model 3 with driver’s air flow directed toward the steering wheel I find our Model 3 very efficient heating my car.

How do the gloves work on the display.

Doing away with steering wheel? Uh huh. lol.

They make gloves for use with touch screens. Have a pair for use with my phone. Also seen gloves with finger tips open.

That is the plan for all cars working towards full self-driving. Like it or not.

I have heard about the gloves. They sound like a reasonable work around. Straight up though I would prefer a heated steering wheel as our last 5 vehicles have had. We only preheat to 18 C as we dress for winter and any warmer it gets really sweaty really fast. In the winter it’s nice to have a steering wheel considerably warmer than that.

I have no doubt cars will come with out steering wheels soon enough. But let’s work on a car making it out of a garage without crashing into wall on the way out.

Just sayin.

• Funny
Reactions: sceptic
I'm not really complaining, just musing that it's weird to get out of the car while it still appears to be "on", shut the door and then have to walk 15' or so from the car before it locks.

And this is not just an "ICE car" comparison. Every other EV on the market that I've seen has an on/off button and more traditional keyless entry system with a touch to lock system. So this is a Tesla thing, not an EV thing.

Adding a double click to the Park button to turn the car "off" would be a very minor software change and would not affect current operation in any way. Most people probably wouldn’t even know it was there.

Adding some sort of touch to lock would require a hardware change, so I don't expect that to happen.

I also agree with another poster up thread where there should be a geofence option to tell the car not to autolock when it's in the garage. Having to remember to grab my phone just to grab something out of the trunk is annoying.

I know it’s different and it’s a tesla thing but I like where they are going. The idea the a car should be a seamless in and out experience appeals to me. I love no obvious start or off button. The car is just there and cares for itself. The car authenticates if it is you (via phone, key fob). When signal is no longer present and you are not in the car (seat sensor) then it locks the car.

This thread is interesting. I never had any problem adopting to this feature and think it's cool. I'm comfortable because when the last door closes, the music stops AND the screen turns off. Done. Then a few steps later the horn confirms locking. This car has actually created a problem for when I drive non Teslas.... I find myself several steps away and the car I've left is still running and unlocked! This is the future.

Oh, happy Sunday! Gotta say, I LOVE these little complaints.

So much better than e.g. My Model 3's Caraokee kept playing Feelings after our chihuahua was sucked into the A/C, and when my grandmother was half-way into the car (off her wheelchair) to try to rescue it, my truck-loving neighbor, who had cracked my account, used Summon (again) to pull the car from our garage towards his electrified fence, and that cut off my grandma's remaining leg!

It's still weird getting out of the car while the music is playing and just walking away. I kinda wish there was some sort of "off" button. Maybe a double click of the park button could stop the music and turn off the screen so it seems like it was off. I also wouldn't mind some sort of touch lock on the outside of the car. I've actually thinking about melting down one of the keycards, removing the RFID chip and embedding it in my watch band so I can just stick my wrist on the B pillar to lock the car before I walk away.

#StupidestLeastSubstantiveThingToComplain

There aren't complaints. Just discussions for changes that might be even more awesome.

For - well ever - auto manufacturers would make a car and no changes would be made until the next model year. Now we have the ability to make changes without bringing the car in for expensive attention. It's a new way to modify a car. Suggestion on how to improve are good healthy discussions.

I just wish there was a way to tell the car to stay unlocked when it's in my own garage! (home setting). You can tell it not to set the alarm (sentry mode) when at home, why not be able to tell it to remain unlocked?

It's a pain when the kids need to grab something out of the car and they have to come get me to either unlock it from my phone or grab a phone that has a key on it.
If you're using your phone for unlocking/locking, once you get home and it locks, leave your phone in the house and unlock it with the card. It won't relock.

• Informative
Reactions: Rothgarr