Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still worth getting a Model 3 if Electricity costs more than Gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me that California experienced many catastrophic wildfires last year, including San Diego. This was not only damaging to these people, it also damaged the ecology causing mudslides this year. It cost all of us billions of dollars in economic damage. The US suffered a $300B loss last year due to catastrophic weather events. This is not normal. This is happening primarily because every single day for decades humans have put 20-30 million barrels of oil into the atmosphere. If you don't want your house burned to the ground and losing everything you own or even the life of a loved-one, think about being part of the solution, not the problem.

Wow. And here i had understood that Eversource in eastern MA was the most expensive power in the continental USA. 23 cents is worse than Eversource (though not by very much).
That is super off peak (midnight to 5am). It's more in the off peek hours, and way more during peek. In San Diego TOU peak rate (4-9pm) is $0.53 per kWh. Crazy!

$0.23 is not close to the most expensive electricity in the US. Just off the top of my head, I know Kirkwood Meadows (the community around the Ski resort in the Sierras near lake Tahoe) is $0.66 per kWh, and I don't think they have any off peek rates. I'm guessing somewhere is probably more than that.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Here in San Diego, residential, single family home. It looks like the cost of electricity will cost more than my gas car which currently gets 34mpg average citi / highway.

TOU plan for EV vehciles: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

Here is the tiered plan I have now (We have solar so typically we stay in tier 1 but osmetimes lapse into tier 2 when running the AC in the summer (we get triple digits).
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule DR Total Rates Table.pdf
We have a small 1400sqft house, but we do not have natural gas, so electric water heater etc.

Best calculator I found is this one which does not have the 3, so I used the S instead... Hopefully you guys have a better calculator that will account for the model 3.
Electric Car Calculator

if I switch to SDG&E TOU plan for electric vehicles owners in the summer the average cost of electricity will be $.38 per kWh. Comes out to
$2,273.91 for the model S with my commute and $2,117.65 for my current ford focus that gets 34 mpg with gas at $3.20 a gallon.

I almost think a hybrid might be a better idea in terms of costs but I don't really want a hybrid I don't think I want either full gas / diesel or all electric. I really wanted a plugin so I can use the carpool lane at work. But you can get the sticker if you get a volt, but then I have a battery and gas engine maintenance... I guess now I know why I see so many Pri-i's (plural for pruis?)...

Power costs, drop closer to $.23.5 in the winter so maybe I should average that in? cost would be $.29 then bring the numbers to $1,712.81 for the model 3 which means it would still be slightly cheaper than gas.

Also what are the real tesla maintenance costs? I heard they are quite high for an electric vehicle. The bolt is essentially no maintenance until 100k miles then a coolant flush. Telsa model 3 is like $500 per year?

Not trying to pinch pennies here, but part of the idea of paying more for an electric vehicle is that your supposed to save on fueling it to compensate for your higher monthly payment which does not sound like that will be the case for most owners in San Diego, unless they are not charging at a single family home.
This is ridiculous. If you are all about saving money, buy the cheapest car you can. Cheap cars are usually very fuel efficient and you will save money on depreciation, insurance, and maintenance.

Buying an EV, PHEV, or even a hybrid is not about saving money - it's about saving the planet. Climate change is real and fossil fueled transportation is the biggest contributor. EVs are the answer to the problem because they take advantage of an ever improving renewable portfolio from you local utility. And what's that about the cost of maintenance? EVs cost much less to maintain over the life of the vehicle (no oil and filter changes, no coolant changes, no tune ups, reduced brake maintenance, no transmission maintenance, etc. etc.).

Tesla may not be for everyone, but we should all be considering which plug-in vehicle best suits our needs, pocketbooks, and lifestyles.

Here in San Diego, residential, single family home. It looks like the cost of electricity will cost more than my gas car which currently gets 34mpg average citi / highway.

TOU plan for EV vehciles: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

Here is the tiered plan I have now (We have solar so typically we stay in tier 1 but osmetimes lapse into tier 2 when running the AC in the summer (we get triple digits).
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/1-1-18 Schedule DR Total Rates Table.pdf
We have a small 1400sqft house, but we do not have natural gas, so electric water heater etc.

Best calculator I found is this one which does not have the 3, so I used the S instead... Hopefully you guys have a better calculator that will account for the model 3.
Electric Car Calculator

if I switch to SDG&E TOU plan for electric vehicles owners in the summer the average cost of electricity will be $.38 per kWh. Comes out to
$2,273.91 for the model S with my commute and $2,117.65 for my current ford focus that gets 34 mpg with gas at $3.20 a gallon.

I almost think a hybrid might be a better idea in terms of costs but I don't really want a hybrid I don't think I want either full gas / diesel or all electric. I really wanted a plugin so I can use the carpool lane at work. But you can get the sticker if you get a volt, but then I have a battery and gas engine maintenance... I guess now I know why I see so many Pri-i's (plural for pruis?)...

Power costs, drop closer to $.23.5 in the winter so maybe I should average that in? cost would be $.29 then bring the numbers to $1,712.81 for the model 3 which means it would still be slightly cheaper than gas.

Also what are the real tesla maintenance costs? I heard they are quite high for an electric vehicle. The bolt is essentially no maintenance until 100k miles then a coolant flush. Telsa model 3 is like $500 per year?

Not trying to pinch pennies here, but part of the idea of paying more for an electric vehicle is that your supposed to save on fueling it to compensate for your higher monthly payment which does not sound like that will be the case for most owners in San Diego, unless they are not charging at a single family home.
Sorry to hear about those high rates. LA/Ventura area, 1 Tesla, all electric home. I tried TOU for a couple of months. The lowest rate was .16 at night. I went back to Tier and tier 1 is .17. T2 is .25. Top rate with TOU was .45 (2-6 PM). You are right,that time of the day still costs the most even if you are not home.
I think I'm doing better on the Tier plan.

Shameless plug: If you think your electric rates are high, do the math. Every solar panel you put on your roof cuts your electric bill. Every panel makes your car cheaper to drive. Start now, and in a half dozen or so years you can brag how you haven't paid $X amount for your power. Panels pay you. I know, hard to see that. Mine paid off in about 5 years, and I don't pay an electric bill now. I think if I lived in a rental, I'd set up panels.

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining why North Carolina vs OP electricity costs are ~10x? I get that CA is "more expensive", but WTF?
Yeah NC is still more Coal Powered - SCE and SDG&E have to pay for the SONGS Mitsubishi heat exchanger Fiasco which killed 2 Nuclear plants, PG&E is corrupt as their Smart Meter Implementation was designed to INCREASE rates. So I think the 10 - 11 cents / kwh I pay 24/7 here in Buffalo NY (untimed) is a bit high, at least its not california and I can afford 2 electric cars. One other thing - our Utility British National Grid TRIED doing 20 cents/kwh for one month 3 years ago. Absolutely everyone called their congressmen and the local news media wouldn't let the story go for 2 weeks. The month after, the rate was down to 8 cents/kwh 24/7 and its been 10-11/kwh ever since.
People around here apparently don't blindly accept things.

Shameless plug: If you think your electric rates are high, do the math. Every solar panel you put on your roof cuts your electric bill. Every panel makes your car cheaper to drive. Start now, and in a half dozen or so years you can brag how you haven't paid $X amount for your power. Panels pay you. I know, hard to see that. Mine paid off in about 5 years, and I don't pay an electric bill now. I think if I lived in a rental, I'd set up panels.

You should always do the math before making any decisions. As the power industry evolves, it is trying to reduce the impact solar production has on the grid, and to secure their profitability. So we will see more shifts in higher rates during non-solar-production hours, and more Demand Based Metering, and higher Customer Fees (these are like a rental fee).

The best scenario is if you have a TOU plan that is very high from 8am - 6pm, but very low other times. This will accelerate payback.

But in our case, 1/3 the bill is for kWh and they are only .07 day or night. The other 2/3 the bill is customer fees and Demand fees.
It takes about 20 years to pay back a solar array at .07 a kWh.

Here in San Diego, residential, single family home. It looks like the cost of electricity will cost more than my gas car

Not if you periodically charge at SC.
When SuperCharger locations become entertainment destinations I’m sure you’ll do some free charging there.

Switch to a solar water heater (heated directly from the sun not from electricity. - the saved energy will bring down your EV costs. (1,400sf is not a small house. Mine is 600sf with 44 PV panels and Solar water heater and Powerwall- being 100% dependent on the grid sucks (I used to work for the power plant). I prefer depending on Musk.

I really wanted a plugin so I can use the carpool lane at work

Using the carpool lane will surely save you time (or you wouldn’t use it) - and time is more valuable than $$. Put a value on your time and deduct that from your EV costs.

Also what are the real tesla maintenance costs? Telsa model 3 is like $500 per year
?

I’ve had my P85D for 2.5 years and haven’t yet taken it in for the recommended annual maintenance check. I simply rotate tires and fill windshield fluid. Skipping the annual checks does not void my warranty. So my real costs for maintenance has been zero. And with one-pedal driving I estimate my first brake job will be at >150k miles.

Not trying to pinch pennies here, but part of the idea of paying more for an electric vehicle is that your supposed to save on fueling.

If you do the things I suggested above, I’m sure you’ll save on fueling. And lastly, if you haven’t already, look into buying some Tesla stock and hold for 10 years. TSLA paid for my P85D! Can’t get lower cost than that.

Seems to me that California experienced many catastrophic wildfires last year, including San Diego. This was not only damaging to these people, it also damaged the ecology causing mudslides this year. It cost all of us billions of dollars in economic damage. The US suffered a $300B loss last year due to catastrophic weather events. This is not normal. This is happening primarily because every single day for decades humans have put 20-30 million barrels of oil into the atmosphere. If you don't want your house burned to the ground and losing everything you own or even the life of a loved-one, think about being part of the solution, not the problem.

You are far too late. I remember at noon in San Diego in the summer when it was like night and it was snowing ashes 1-2" deep.
Houses falling off cliffs into the Pacific, mudslides taking highways and houses. Temperature inversions that kept students indoors, with less than 400' visibility. Death counts in the summer. This was 50 years ago.

• Informative
I went to respond cleverly about "oh well, it's probably because of the clean California power...." unfortunately my research on energy.gov shows California is 25th in the US for renewable energy production and North Carolina is 23rd (1st is best) ! So, I suspect that you are right and legal corruption is the best explanation. Sad.

I'd be interested in a link to your data. Over the last four years, solar additions in CA have been significant, though Texas is the leader in wind power [by far], with about 21GW of capacity. Here's another take, with CA right behind Columbia DC and NY in CO2 emissions per capita in 2015:

Screen-Shot-2018-01-27-at-8.36.43-AM.png

Image: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Screen-Shot-2018-01-27-at-8.36.43-AM.png

Per ars technica: The EIA cautions against evaluating these emissions numbers as a direct reflection of how green a state is, though, because the agency only counted energy-related emissions in the state they were created. That doesn't account for exporting energy across state lines. If one state uses only renewables but buys a considerable supply of electricity from a coal plant in a neighboring state, the neighboring state bears the burden for all those emissions.

Source: A 15-year look at how energy changed in the US, state by state

See also:

Top 10 Solar States [2016]
Top 10 Solar States | SEIA

I hope that paints a less bleak picture of your home state! Otherwise, there's always the live update:
California ISO - Today's Renewables

You are far too late. I remember at noon in San Diego in the summer when it was like night and it was snowing ashes 1-2" deep.
Houses falling off cliffs into the Pacific, mudslides taking highways and houses. Temperature inversions that kept students indoors, with less than 400' visibility. Death counts in the summer. This was 50 years ago.

40-50 years ago, you couldn't even see the 10,000 ft San Gabriel mountains from the L.A. suburban foothills just five miles away because of the smog. So some things have gotten better in the last 50 years as well - per capita efficiency and emissions have gotten a lot better.

• Informative
Rate here in northeast Massachusetts: $0.251 / kWh 24x365. At that rate at $2.50 / gal for gas. the Model S costs a bit more to operate than my old first-generation 2000 Honda Insight hybrid. But that was a tiny underpowered two-seater, and the Model S is a car.

Gas goes to $3.00, and the balance tips sharply the other way.

Observation: peak oil looks like today, not like that Water World movie. As demand for fossil fuel declines, prices will be stable and oil company profits will slowly erode. But, in the meantime there will be shocks. So, others have pointed out that there are other reasons besides $ / mile to go electric. Mine: I want to hasten peak oil.

Paying 6.8 cents per KwH fixed price for 18 months in Texas.
A bit less than 2 cents per mile compared to my Lexus Hybrid - ES300h at about 6.5 cents per mile.

BTW, we also have No state income taxes and housing costs are still $150-$200 per foot for most houses - or $300 per foot for very upscale - and very temperate weather compared to the high tax NE US. Y'all come but not too many people!