TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Stinky sock smell is back after 1 year

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by plasmo, Aug 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. plasmo

plasmo Member

I swapped out my filters last year and foamed my a/c filter area with resolution of the stinky smell...until now. It’s back. Is this going to be a yearly thing???

2. RayK

RayK Active Member

#2 RayK, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    When was the last time you washed your feet? :)

I've had my car for over two years. I've used my A/C plenty of times. Never turning it off and letting the air flow for a minute before shutting the car off (like people say you should). Did the same thing with my BMW for the almost 20 years I had it. Both cars have never stunk. The only car I've owned that remotely gave off a bad smell when first stating up, was a 1971 Mercury Capri and even then the damp smell went away after a few minutes. I have to believe that living here in the Bay Area where the humidity is fairly low and stable helps.

edit: Remembered my cars wrong... the Capri didn't have A/C. My 1984 Mazda 626 Touring did. That's the one with the damp smell. And my 3 still has the original filters.

3. zhu-

zhu- custom title

I heard someone mention that Tesla added this to happen automatically now after an update a while back?

4. RayK

RayK Active Member

Could be. I park my car in my driveway so I don't hear anything once I close the door and walk away.

5. NOLADriver

NOLADriver Member

Whew, thank God there aren't at least three threads on this exact topic, one less than a page down. A new thread will help.

• Like x 1