Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stirring the Pot on the Model X Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, but why pay to be there? They have better ways to spend their money. Like on the fantastic party I just know they're going to throw when my X is delivered :).

If it's a delivery party for my X, you guys won't have yours. Just sayin'.

I think that Tesla should throw a party for the first Model X customer delivery in each state!

Reveal DATE coming VERY SOON [speculation]

Based on several announcements that it will be in July. That leaves less than 40 days. Insert Snoopy Dance here for those with reservations. Will they have a party ? When will they announce it ? And when will it be ? Do they typically do a certain day of the week ? I can't recall.

There's a definite disconnect in the timeline right now that has me concerned. Tesla needs finalized orders for cars before they can begin Model X production. Tesla needs the Design Studio released before they can begin taking orders. Model X needs to be revealed before the Design Studio goes live, because you can't properly design something without seeing it first. Tesla always seems to like to make events out of reveals, so it seems unlikely they would quietly launch the production Model X online rather than hosting a party.

I took a look back at the Model S finalize thread last week, and it looks like the first customers finalized about 2 months before deliveries began, and most of the Signatures had been asked to finalize before the first delivery despite being 3-4 months away from delivery. They also had the opportunity to see the car and review color options in person at stores and events. While hardcore Tesla fans may be the exception, I cannot believe most people would spend $80,000+ on a car without seeing it in person or at least an extensive collection of photos so they know what they are committing to. Likewise, I can't see Tesla forcing ordinary customers into NDAs or other secrecy clauses just to extend the mystery of Model X by a couple months.

I agree that if they are going to start true customer deliveries in September, they need to do a reveal and Design Studio launch in July. Tesla parties often occur on Thursday, but if it is a factory-based event it may be held on a weekend to minimize disruptions. I'm no longer making predictions when exactly this may happen since I've been wrong enough times. We should have 2-4 weeks warning before the event once invitations are sent out, so the clock is ticking on July. If information on Model X is withheld until September, it means the only people taking delivery of Model X in Q3 would be named Elon or J.B. and real customer deliveries may not happen until November.

There's a definite disconnect in the timeline right now that has me concerned. Tesla needs finalized orders for cars before they can begin Model X production. Tesla needs the Design Studio released before they can begin taking orders. Model X needs to be revealed before the Design Studio goes live, because you can't properly design something without seeing it first. Tesla always seems to like to make events out of reveals, so it seems unlikely they would quietly launch the production Model X online rather than hosting a party.

I took a look back at the Model S finalize thread last week, and it looks like the first customers finalized about 2 months before deliveries began, and most of the Signatures had been asked to finalize before the first delivery despite being 3-4 months away from delivery. They also had the opportunity to see the car and review color options in person at stores and events. While hardcore Tesla fans may be the exception, I cannot believe most people would spend $80,000+ on a car without seeing it in person or at least an extensive collection of photos so they know what they are committing to. Likewise, I can't see Tesla forcing ordinary customers into NDAs or other secrecy clauses just to extend the mystery of Model X by a couple months.

I agree that if they are going to start true customer deliveries in September, they need to do a reveal and Design Studio launch in July. Tesla parties often occur on Thursday, but if it is a factory-based event it may be held on a weekend to minimize disruptions. I'm no longer making predictions when exactly this may happen since I've been wrong enough times. We should have 2-4 weeks warning before the event once invitations are sent out, so the clock is ticking on July. If information on Model X is withheld until September, it means the only people taking delivery of Model X in Q3 would be named Elon or J.B. and real customer deliveries may not happen until November.

This is how I personally am putting all this together. End of July there will be a reveal party. Some of the first founders will get their cars and the design studio will open at that point. This enables ramp up of configurations for the sigs and productions deliveries to begin in September which is the called for Q3 deliveries. I believe that we will see the invite to the reveal go out in the next 2-3 weeks. Of course pure speculation with no insider info.

It sounds like Tesla needs a 2-month lead to build a vehicle, and hence the Design Studio is going live around July. I don't know how many cars they plan to deliver in the first 4 weeks, but if its only 20-30, they can certainly invite the first 20-30 reservation holders to Fremont to see the vehicle in multiple colours/wheels/etc. They wouldn't get a chance to sit inside and see the "secret" features, but they should have enough information to use the Design Studio in confidence.

Then, after the reveal takes place, all following reservation holders can go to their local Tesla Store to see the vehicles in the various colors. This is one possible plan that Tesla can implement.

Model S "D" reveal was early October 2014. 6 months later in early April the 70D is released. 6 months later will be October again...... I'd wager if there is any event for the X (reveal, design studio, etc) I'd expect it to be in Oct. Seems like Tesla is settling into a 6 month release schedule.

/edit This is speculation, but while the minor improvements are being added to the cars constantly over the year, it would make sense for major updates to happen twice a year (vs the once a year "model updates" that other car manufacturers employ).