Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock 20" Slipstream Wheels, Tires, TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr. Ed

Mar 23, 2017
USA
New stock Model X wheels and tires TMPS. Car was delivered on 3/31/2017. There is zero damage to the tires and wheels and car tracks true without vibrations from the tires at speeds up to the of 85mph that I drove. I am getting 19" tires and Slipstreams mounted on Monday 4/24/2017, so these will be available then.
Price is $2100.00 I am located in S.W. Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.JPG
    IMG_4067.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4074.JPG
    IMG_4074.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
There was a post that they fit fine, but there is a slight chance of rubbing during a hard right turn in reverse, so not to cut the wheel all the way at speed in reverse. That's what I remember as I was considering this option as a compromise to my do i want 19 or 21 inch rims.. haha

Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and Cowby
I think someone also mentioned they would work but not with the stock tires that came on the X (i.e. the wheels would work with different size tires). I recall reading it in a post somewhere on the forum. They mentioned the actual size tires that would work.

19" slipstream on model x? is that for more range purpose and anyone have pics of it on the X
I am probably hurting my chances of a sale of the original tires and wheels by answering this, but for the better good here it goes. The purpose is not only better range but better ride, quieter ride, better protection from pot holes and curbs, better performance in the rain, the ability to rotate, and longer tire life. I will be using the Michelin tires ( 245/55/R19 Premier LTX). These tires have a wear rating of 620 and excellent ratings on TireRack.com I actually have bought 5 wheels and tires and found that I can store the 5th as a spare under the floor panel behind the 2nd row. I have a 5 seater, I will be making modifications to the supports to raise the panel the needed amount. I have a Summer home in Michigan, where Tesla in a no no, and roads are terrible, so that is the reason for the concern with not having a spare. The only down side should be less dry traction, loss of some cornering speed and speed rating of 130 MPH VS 150MPH, all of which I can live with. I also have 5mm wheel spacers that will be used if needed, to increase the setback from 35mm to the 40mm the stock wheels have. Wish me luck. I'll post before and after pictures after the install on Monday.

Mr. Ed

New stock Model X wheels and tires TMPS. Car was delivered on 3/31/2017. There is zero damage to the tires and wheels and car tracks true without vibrations from the tires at speeds up to the of 85mph that I drove. I am getting 19" tires and Slipstreams mounted on Monday 4/24/2017, so these will be available then.
Price is $2100.00 I am located in S.W. Florida.

The set is off the car and ready for shipping.

• Informative
I am probably hurting my chances of a sale of the original tires and wheels by answering this, but for the better good here it goes. The purpose is not only better range but better ride, quieter ride, better protection from pot holes and curbs, better performance in the rain, the ability to rotate, and longer tire life. I will be using the Michelin tires ( 245/55/R19 Premier LTX). These tires have a wear rating of 620 and excellent ratings on TireRack.com I actually have bought 5 wheels and tires and found that I can store the 5th as a spare under the floor panel behind the 2nd row. I have a 5 seater, I will be making modifications to the supports to raise the panel the needed amount. I have a Summer home in Michigan, where Tesla in a no no, and roads are terrible, so that is the reason for the concern with not having a spare. The only down side should be less dry traction, loss of some cornering speed and speed rating of 130 MPH VS 150MPH, all of which I can live with. I also have 5mm wheel spacers that will be used if needed, to increase the setback from 35mm to the 40mm the stock wheels have. Wish me luck. I'll post before and after pictures after the install on Monday.

Mr. Ed
Can't wait to hear your experience with the 19's as I've been thinking of doing the same; any idea what they will do to towing capacity? I also wish any of our locations were closer to each other to pick up the 20's from you :)

qadaemon,
As the post above shows here are the 19" Slipstreams on our X. I have not found any real negatives with them at this point. The 20" chrome lug covers are too long on the 19"s for my taste so I have order a set that are 1/2" shorter. I have the spare under the compartment behind the 2nd row of seats (5 seater). The cover now sits about 2" higher. I made 4 stands for the cover to keep it off the spare plus other modifications to move the spare as far forward as possible. The tires are rated for 130MPH and have a sightly less load rating than the stock tires. However i understand that the 5 passenger x weighs about 500 lbs less than the 7 passanger so I don't see a problem with that. If you are serious about wanting the 20" wheels, tires and TMPS as they came off the car I'll sell them and bring them to you for $2000.00 cash. I leave Florida in a few weeks so let me know asap.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    517.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4113.JPG
    IMG_4113.JPG
    609.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Informative
Oh, and did you need any spacers/adapters, or was the only issue the lug nuts? Also, how is it going? Any increase in range that you have noticed yet?

Yes these are Model S Slipstreams. I bought a set of 5mm spacers but did not need to use them for clearance. The Model X 20" Stock Slipstreams have a 40mm setback and the Model S 19" Slipstreams are have a 35mm setback. I will be driving on the interstate for the first time with this setup tomorrow, but up to 55MPH they seem fine. The spacers might help stability slightly and widen the stance of the car. However the wheels will no longer rest on the hubs,( I believe the term is hubcentric) so might effect balance and strength of the total wheel hub assembly.

As far as the lugs go, they mount fine but the chrome cover stick-out quite far on the 19"s and I don't like the look.

This setup should increase the range somewhat just as going down from the wide 22" wheels and tires to the 20" ones does. The tires are only 245s compared to 265s front and 275s rear and will have less contact with the road. The wet traction should improve but with the 19" setup, but the cornering will not be as good.

This setup isn't for everyone, but I think will be good in my situation.

• Informative

Mr. Ed

If you still have the 20's when you are getting ready to head back to Michigan, let me know, maybe we can work something out - you'll likely be passing right by where I am in Dayton, Ohio.

Mr. Ed
hey ed can you send the link for the wheel spacers?