Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock 2020 Vette looks to have lower 0-60 time vs P3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the Corvette had always been an aspirational vehicle for me since I was a kid. Unfortunately, even if the 0-60 times are similar, it's difficult/impossible to replicate the enjoyment of full torque at 0 rpm with an ICE.

Sorry petrol heads.

Reactions: Evoforce
I may be joining the C8 Convertible crowd next year, to go along with our Model 3 Performance and our NSX. The local Chevy dealer where we bought our 2016 Volt actually has excellent Customer Service and is within 10 miles of where we live. They even answer the phone when I call .....

Reactions: bedoig
I may be joining the C8 Convertible crowd next year, to go along with our Model 3 Performance and our NSX. The local Chevy dealer where we bought our 2016 Volt actually has excellent Customer Service and is within 10 miles of where we live. They even answer the phone when I call .....

It’s funny all the people refusing to recognize you can have an electric vehicle and an ice. I will never give up my primary vehicle as an electric but I also like other cars as well. The Vette is at the top of the list right now.

Reactions: msm859
Maybe some day Tesla will make a Model 3 based sports car. Keep the P3 drivetrain and battery, and shrink and lighten everything else as much as possible for a two seat car. It should make it pretty competitive with the C8 Corvette on both performance and cost. Unfortunately, Tesla has its hands full with all its other planned vehicles, so I don't think we'll see this any time soon.

1000% this. It's a niche market, and they wouldn't sell a ton. But, if they essentially co-opted the BRZ/GT86 twins or the Miata to make a lightweight (much as they can) EV sportscar for the average enthusiast, they would earn a lot of good will from the motorsports community and I think earn a lot of brand karma in those circles, which would only increase the overall brand appeal in areas they are weak in.

Am I the only one who has lost all interest in ICE?
911 used to be my dream car but after owning my Tesla, I don't have any desire left for ICE.
same here... I am completely disinterested in current porsches, even-though at some point i had three.
2023 boxster is supposed to be electric, by 2027, it may be safe to buy electric porsche (shrug) - owners know what i'm talking about :)

It’s funny all the people refusing to recognize you can have an electric vehicle and an ice. I will never give up my primary vehicle as an electric but I also like other cars as well. The Vette is at the top of the list right now.
I agreed until you listed the vette. If I’m going to go ICE I don’t believe Any ICE car does the whole “analog” thing better than a Lotus Elise.

I have a supercharged Elise that I rarely drive but that car is just wicked. Even after owning the “P3D” the Elise is a brilliant car. Stupid fast, no electronic wizardry, just pure hilarity.

You're far, far oversimplifying *everything* that goes in to a performance car as "mechanicals". As I said, tires are important, but no tire in the world will make any current Tesla an amazing track car.

the discussion started with 0-60 times,
and yes tires or more specifically 60-0
braking (tire limited) performance is limiting.

F1 & indy leaders this year are the ones that
can keep their tires performing to the end,

past gen corvettes w/vastly superior track
tires/suspensions have essentially same
nuerburgring lap times as the recent plaid
S times, imagine if the S drive train had better
tires/suspension?

I'd say that the plaid S is a pretty amazing
track car, given that is a saloon design!

Reactions: Evoforce
Reading the comments, I can appreciate the sentiments. I remember what it was like to consider ICEs before I bought my dual motor 3. I, too, had the Macan Turbo and the X3 m40i on my short list. Fast forward 7 months and I really have no interest in buying another gas-burning vehicle. Sick of petrol, the wastefulness of internal combustion, the exhaust in our garage. And every day when I hit the sidewalk to go running , I smell the stink of exhaust.

“Don’t you miss the engine sound? Can your Tesla play sound effects so it sounds like a regular car?”

£&*# no.

That’s what I say to myself. But I pretend that I haven’t heard that question before (I think that it’s a good one when a person hasn’t been in an electric car before) and I chuckle “you get used to hearing your music for a change.”

The idea of a car that lags when you hit the accelerator, makes a racket and acts wild (fishtailing, spinning out, screeching) doesn’t seem romantic any more; it just seems antiquated and a bit masochistic. I’d rather crank up “song_title_goes_here” and punch the accelerator...responsibly, of course.

BTW, my neighbor reserved a C8 and I fully expect to get a test drive when it arrives. Kinda looks like a La Ferrari.

2.8 with those things-
2020 Chevrolet Corvette Is More Than the Best Corvette Ever

Several reviews also mention the mid-engine putting a lot of weight near the rear wheels make it a lot easier to get those kinds of times on normal launches.

That said- their Z51 was almost $90,000 with its options.

A P3D- is barely over 50k- and still under 60k even with FSD, and actually has a useful back seat :)

Yes mid-engine is the best you can have for an ICE, especially if it has rear wheel drive. That said it still can't touch the dual motor skidpad design. Just simple physics.

New Vette has been designed for various power options.
First will be the naturally aspirated V8, then Supercharged versions, Turbocharged, Flat Plane Crank V8, Hybrid AWD with Electric front motor, and eventually....All electric supercar option.

This car is going to offer a full spectrum of capabilities and prices.

Really a remarkable car, with a long projected production life.

Gonna sell a boatload.

Grew up around Porsche’s and interesting cars.

Owned a Macan Turbo before the M3P. Those of you who had it shortlisted for their next car but got the Tesla instead made the right decision. It was boring and emotionless. I couldn’t wait to get out of it after test driving the M3P and that was before the 2 power upgrades and during the version 9 software days.

UTMB, great album choice!

Reactions: UTMB
Grew up around Porsche’s and interesting cars.

Owned a Macan Turbo before the M3P.
We have owned several Porsches, including a couple mid engine Cayman S and a 911S.

Our other vehicle presently is a Macan GTS. Love it. It's much more suited to poorly maintained urban streets than Porsche's sports cars.

The Macan GTS and Model 3 are completely different, but I enjoy them both.

I owned a C5 Corvette. It scared the sh*t out of me when I put the accelerator down, LOL. The window seals leaked like sieves when it rained.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTMB
New Vette has been designed for various power options.
First will be the naturally aspirated V8, then Supercharged versions, Turbocharged, Flat Plane Crank V8, Hybrid AWD with Electric front motor, and eventually....All electric supercar option.

This car is going to offer a full spectrum of capabilities and prices.

Really a remarkable car, with a long projected production life.

Gonna sell a boatload.

imagine where the design would have been
IF GM had listened to zora in the 60's-70's?
and developed the mid engine design when
track cars (F1, indy, drag strip) changed,
they would have led ferrari, bugatti etc in
design & performance!

the mind set is still holding them back, as a
BIG release item focused on being able to
carry two travel sized golf club bags?!?
IMHO they should have sawed off the extra
2' in the rear end and focused on performance!

if, BIG IF, GM doesn't move quickly to all electric,
there won't be a C9, as we all have seen that to
get it right, a BEV need a clean design sheet,
witness the 2020 roadster!

I agreed until you listed the vette. If I’m going to go ICE I don’t believe Any ICE car does the whole “analog” thing better than a Lotus Elise.

I have a supercharged Elise that I rarely drive but that car is just wicked. Even after owning the “P3D” the Elise is a brilliant car. Stupid fast, no electronic wizardry, just pure hilarity.

Ive never driven one. I’m 6”3. Would I fit?