Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock memory stick - is it enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of a MY Sunday and found a deal on some memory today. It comes with 128GB I think? Is this typically enough for you? Are there different functionalities enabled if you were to connect a larger drive? I would like to have the ability to save more sentry footage if this will enable me to do that.

The factory card is more or less rubbish.

When I bought my last two they didn’t include them and I made sure to have ones format and ready to go before leaving dealership.

I initially bought two more size ultra high speck SSD cards. After a few years they started having issues.

I moved on to substantially larger SSD drives and have never had any problems with them.

Digital memory tends to fail over time due to rewrites among other reasons. The larger the card or drive the less rewrites the larger it will last. Then there the side benefit of having a backup of weeks or months instead of days.

Whatever you do by the highest quality, fastest speeds, and most numbers of rewrites you can afford / justify.

Reactions: Ozarka

When I bought my last two they didn’t include them and I made sure to have ones format and ready to go before leaving dealership.

I initially bought two more size ultra high speck SSD cards. After a few years they started having issues.

I moved on to substantially larger SSD drives and have never had any problems with them.

Digital memory tends to fail over time due to rewrites among other reasons. The larger the card or drive the less rewrites the larger it will last. Then there the side benefit of having a backup of weeks or months instead of days.

Whatever you do by the highest quality, fastest speeds, and most numbers of rewrites you can afford / justify.

That's helpful, thank-you. I was leaning towards just leaving it as is but I think I'll pick one up.

It depends on what your needs are. If you only want it for dash cam videos, it's probably fine.
I use the stock Tesla memory stick for dash cam, but I have a SSD for my 283 Gb USB music collection. The stock memory stick still works fine after 1 year of ownership.

It depends on what your needs are. If you only want it for dash cam videos, it's probably fine.
I use the stock Tesla memory stick for dash cam, but I have a SSD for my 283 Gb USB music collection. The stock memory stick still works fine after 1 year of ownership.
Newby question. How do you use a formatted drive for music? In place of the standard one for dashcam or in addition Someone mentioned splitting between music and dashcam. How?

There are instructions here on the forum, and on other websites you can find. I'm sure someone will post it. You can also google it.

You used to have to format on a computer, but the car allows you to do it as well these days I believe.

I just like to have it ready to go before I get there so I can just plug and go from the dealership.

There are instructions here on the forum, and on other websites you can find. I'm sure someone will post it. You can also google it.

You used to have to format on a computer, but the car allows you to do it as well these days I believe.

I just like to have it ready to go before I get there so I can just plug and go from the dealership.
These threads talk about it:

I believe that is wrong. Partition it into 2 drives. One drive is named Tesladrive and within that drive make a FOLDER labeled TeslaCam. The other drive can be named what you want. Tesla will automatically make additional folders in the teslacam folder so you do not have to do that

For non-technical plug and play type people...just get a USB hub and two USB thumb drives. Put the first one in and format it from inside the car to let Sentry mode use it.

Take the second one and fill it up with your FLAC and MP3 tracks.

For non-technical plug and play type people...just get a USB hub and two USB thumb drives. Put the first one in and format it from inside the car to let Sentry mode use it.

Take the second one and fill it up with your FLAC and MP3 tracks.
What hub are u using? I want to make sure
My tunes are in the car. I have most of it on usb from earlier car stereo. Tesla thumb drive is fine for teslacam for now.

What hub are u using? I want to make sure
My tunes are in the car. I have most of it on usb from earlier car stereo. Tesla thumb drive is fine for teslacam for now.
Here is the one I'm using.

Reactions: mexxdude