Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock or aftermarket paint armor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere around these forums that many were skipping the stock paint armor and having shops install it aftermarket. This is mainly due to the fact that aftermarket ones are able to cover the entire front hood. Has anyone done this? What has been your experience?

My suggestion is to opt for the paint armor from TESLA seeing as the precut kit is not yet available. Having TESLA apply it to the front end I think is a good idea seeing how intricate it is. I then had a local installer cover my whole hood.

For those in northern Ohio, I have a great installer.

While you are having the hood redone, I would cover the front edge of the front fenders, head lights, fog lights, and better coverage on the door sills.

The guys at my local Tesla center told me they will do the full hood at delivery for a little more. They suggested get the factory armor as it has all the additional pieces. They'll remove the hood strip and then install the full hood protection. You may want to ask your service center.

I opted not to have the Tesla paint armor. They are using Avery Nano Fusion Film which, from what I've read, is a good product (as opposed to 3M which yellows), but they don't cover the whole hood and the Avery film is not as clear as other brands (it's more noticible that you have paint protection on). As soon as I get mine, I'm taking it to a local shop and having XPEL Ultimate put on the whole front including entire hood. This is a better product, very clear, and it also 'self-healing'. http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

I opted not to have the Tesla paint armor. They are using Avery Nano Fusion Film which, from what I've read, is a good product (as opposed to 3M which yellows), but they don't cover the whole hood and the Avery film is not as clear as other brands (it's more noticible that you have paint protection on). As soon as I get mine, I'm taking it to a local shop and having XPEL Ultimate put on the whole front including entire hood. This is a better product, very clear, and it also 'self-healing'. http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

That is my plan as well.

I can only hope they make a product better than they make a website...

I can not get it to open on my iPhone for the life of me... Even after backing the URL down to its root form...

Would love to see the details of this product...

The guys at my local Tesla center told me they will do the full hood at delivery for a little more. They suggested get the factory armor as it has all the additional pieces. They'll remove the hood strip and then install the full hood protection. You may want to ask your service center.

I'm glad you mentioned this; I'm going to ask about this--just got a call from my local SC and introduced to my DS, and while I'm fine with what Tesla's offering, if they can do a slightly more complete version, that would be cool!

Do you mind if I ask, how much more is it costing?

I originally configured for the paint armor but had my order changed and went with the XPEL as well.
I wanted more coverage (door handles, around the windshield, etc.).

/Ed

I ended up going aftermarket with Xpel Ultimate and also mostly full coverage of the car too. Basically my Paint Armor was due bill for a while. I couldn't stand the wait and found a local installer that's done many other Model S's, and went with him. Very happy I ended up going this route.

I ended up going aftermarket with Xpel Ultimate and also mostly full coverage of the car too. Basically my Paint Armor was due bill for a while. I couldn't stand the wait and found a local installer that's done many other Model S's, and went with him. Very happy I ended up going this route.

Did Tesla refund you the cost of the paint armor?

I'm picking up my car on Saturday at the factory. I went with the stock paint armor. I reached out to Star Shield Solutions (Tesla's partner that has been installing the paint armor). They will be doing the full hood for me tomorrow so that when I pick up my car Saturday it will be all done. I had to pay Star Shield directly.

@ alluu -
See you are in the Bay Area but thought Star Shield was down near LA. Are you driving down there or do they have a branch in the bay area? If in the Bay Area, can you send me the contact info?

I'm in the Bay Area. Picked up my Model S at the factory today. The full hood was completed yesterday by Star Shield. Awesome work on their part to have it done before I pick up the car.