Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock or aftermarket paint armor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with the factory paint armor and after 2500 miles I'm sorry I did. The install is just not as good as the aftermarket armor done by the dealer on my Fisker and McLaren.

The transitions on the Tesla armor are noticeable because they often don't extend all the way to the edges of the part they are protecting. Now I am seeing a couple of spots on the front of the car where greyish dirt is accumulating behind the paint armor. It is very noticeable on my pearl white car. No such problems with the aftermarket film on my other cars.

I got the paint armor from Tesla. It looks fine accept for the hood, which is the largest and most obvious part. Do you know if the company is able to remove the existing armor from the hood and then apply their film protectant without damaging the paint? I'm in Los Angeles too. Could you pass on their contact info to me? It would be greatly appreciated!

I agree with the recommendations on this thread. Aftermarket paint armor looks better than the Tesla solution (which is being done by a 3rd party in the Tesla service centers). My experience with the Model S paint armor has not been very good (very visible edges, not wrapped around, some dust under paint armor), which is different from my experience with the Roadster, where the paint armor was excellent.

Please see my other post on this topic.
Aftermarket Paint Armor in GTA?

dj905

I agree with the recommendations on this thread. Aftermarket paint armor looks better than the Tesla solution (which is being done by a 3rd party in the Tesla service centers). My experience with the Model S paint armor has not been very good (very visible edges, not wrapped around, some dust under paint armor), which is different from my experience with the Roadster, where the paint armor was excellent.

Please see my other post on this topic.
Aftermarket Paint Armor in GTA?

dj905

I just talked to a certified XPEL installer here in NJ about getting a quote for having XPEL Ultimate put on my Model S next week. He was just telling me that he just finished up a job last week on a Model S ripping off the factory installed paint armor and replacing it with XPEL Ultimate. He said the owner was very upset about the shabby job (noticeable ripples) on the factory installed armor and all the lines showing due to not being full wraps and also the partial hood. The XPEL install is full front (everything, full hood, etc) with edges wrapped around so no lines visible. Just as a heads up to people - highly recommend not getting the factory installed option and getting aftermarket XPEL Ultimate instead. Higher quality too (self-healing properties). I will post pictures of my install when its done (which you probably won't be able to see since all the edges are wrapped around LOL).

I got the paint armor from Tesla. It looks fine accept for the hood, which is the largest and most obvious part. Do you know if the company is able to remove the existing armor from the hood and then apply their film protectant without damaging the paint? I'm in Los Angeles too. Could you pass on their contact info to me? It would be greatly appreciated!

Premier Protective Films in Fremont said that they'd do my hood for about $800 or so (I don't remember the exact number). They'd wrap the film around the edges unlike Tesla. They also said that I'd have to pay something like $300 for them to take off the factory film.

Based on that, I'd say that removing existing armor is something these shops can do, but they won't do it for free.

I'm leaning against doing it.

I called to have paint armor added after signing the pre-MVPA, and the person I spoke to on the phone said that was fine and that it had been added. Noticed it missing from my final MVPA and my DS confirmed it was not on the car. After reading more about it, I'm glad it turned out that way.

I found a semi-local installer in SoCal and will be having either Xpel or Suntek installed next Tuesday. I got quotes from 3 different shops, all within $100-200 of each other. The shop I ended up choosing has done multiple Model S installs and also sent pictures of them. The owner listed the pros and cons of the different products, which actually changed my choice from 3M Ventureshield which, while more clear, is more porous than the Suntek and Xpel meaning you need to be a bit more meticulous with cleaning bird crap etc... before it stains the film. The other two both have self healing top coats which is nice. The Xpel costs 20% more, but has a 10 year materials/labor warranty vs. 5 year for the Suntek. I'm going to get a good look at cars with both before deciding. I'll try to post pictures of the finished job sometime next week.

Just call Vince at the LA service center. They can have the Star Shield people come out and do a full hood wrap for less than $500. If there are other parts of the factory Star Shield that aren't up to par they can have them fixed under warranty.

I called to have paint armor added after signing the pre-MVPA, and the person I spoke to on the phone said that was fine and that it had been added. Noticed it missing from my final MVPA and my DS confirmed it was not on the car. After reading more about it, I'm glad it turned out that way.

I found a semi-local installer in SoCal and will be having either Xpel or Suntek installed next Tuesday. I got quotes from 3 different shops, all within $100-200 of each other. The shop I ended up choosing has done multiple Model S installs and also sent pictures of them. The owner listed the pros and cons of the different products, which actually changed my choice from 3M Ventureshield which, while more clear, is more porous than the Suntek and Xpel meaning you need to be a bit more meticulous with cleaning bird crap etc... before it stains the film. The other two both have self healing top coats which is nice. The Xpel costs 20% more, but has a 10 year materials/labor warranty vs. 5 year for the Suntek. I'm going to get a good look at cars with both before deciding. I'll try to post pictures of the finished job sometime next week.

The 3m yellows real quick. The Xpel & SunTek both have self healing films but so does Avery Nano Fusion & Ventureshield Ultra. I have found that even tho the Xpel is clear and the warranty is nice. I like the look of the suntek over the Xpel ultimate. However you cant go wrong w either of the 2 films.

I ended up going with the Suntek. Looks flawless to me; the shop that did the install really did a stellar job. I ended up getting the full hood, full front fenders, full bumper, headlights/fog lights, mirrors, a pillars, rocker panels and front of the rear fenders.. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take some.

I had mine done yesterday, XPEL Ultimate full front wrap, by Leeberbs http://www.facebook.com/leeberbs in Hillsborough, NJ. EXCELLENT job. I was there for the whole thing. The XPEL Ultimate is so clear, and the edges are fully wrapped so no lines so anywhere at all. I actually had some manufacturer paint defects he pointed out in the hood, a few small spots about the size of a half dollar coin - definitely noticeable when you looked closely. However, after the XPEL Ultimate film was applied, I can no longer see those paint blemishes whatsover! Awesome! Now I kinda just wish I went and did the whole car .... lol. Highly recommend Leeberbs to anyone in the Philly/NJ/NY metro area.

I ended up going with the Suntek. Looks flawless to me; the shop that did the install really did a stellar job. I ended up getting the full hood, full front fenders, full bumper, headlights/fog lights, mirrors, a pillars, rocker panels and front of the rear fenders.. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take some.

Scriptacus - Did you ever snap some pics?

I'm in LA and thinking about getting aftermarket armor. Curious to know if you're still happy with the Suntek and the installer you used. Also if you'd be willing to share, I'd love to know who you used and what it cost? Thanks!

Never did get pics, but I'm still happy with the install. I ended up going with Ultimate Auto Care in Orange, CA.

In retrospect I wish I had gone for a full Xpel wrap, not because there is anything wrong with the Suntek, but the 10yr warranty would be good for a full wrap, and a full wrap would have me stressing less about swirls and micro scratches. (I have a yet to be resolved issue with the SC "washing" my car after service)