Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock Tires and Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to order the Tsportline 18" TST and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's for my 2021 Model 3 Long Range (Picking it up Saturday). My question is, how hard are the stock tires and wheels to sell for a reasonable price, with very little miles on them (500 or less)? Would like to get back most of the money I spend on the upgrade.
tesla-model-3-wheel-and-tire-package-18-tst-turbine-style-flow-forged-wheels-gloss-black-v1_694x.progressive.jpg

It depends. Tesla just had the big end-of-the-year push so there's probably more of these for sale right now than usually.
Also, remember that the 2021 model 3 has bluetooth TPMS, so you should cross-switch before selling them (both because they only work on cars with BT tpms and because they cost a lot, so you would want them in your new tires).
If you don't need the money now I'd consider storing them. Personally I'd just use them until they wore out, which might be the cheapest option. If you get new rims you're probably gonna take out the TPMS so if you don't desperately need the Pilot Sport that's also an option.

That seems silly to swap out for a similar 18" wheel. My advice is pull the caps off, get the $50 hub kit, and drive it for a while. You haven't even taken delivery yet...drive it for a bit.
I agree. There is absolutely no sane reason to get rid of the OEM tires . They are very good tires , and I speak as someone who has owned many high end tires on my various European cars.

I purchased a set of four wheels and tires with about 900 miles on them last year for $600. New ones might go for as much as $1,000. I agree with others that you should just keep them and get use out of them. Change them out when it’s time to replace them.

It might be worth separating the rims and tires. People with earlier model 3's and putting on high mileage would be looking for just the tires. I know we will in about 2 years as we really like the stock tires. Nice ride, not super noisy.

Although we decided not to go with winter tires this year a few months ago we were looking for just rims and we would put out own winters on. Finding someone that would sell us just the rims was difficult.

I'm kinda partial to the stock rims as we like the ability to put on the higher efficiency aeros for trips. We dressed them up a bit just for a different look. In the summer we put them on for road trips. In the winter we put them because they are soooo much easier to clean.

Don't be afraid to dress up the aeros a bit. Make them your own. It costs us 40 bucks to do ours.

50711223276_d82b9dae48_c.jpg

Get the centre cap and lug covers and the 18's look ok without the Aeros.

50302296267_66950591be_c.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
In the summer we put them on for road trips.
Hey, may I ask how do you remove the covers, and center caps when you want to re-install the aeros again? You just yank the covers out grabbing them from 2 semi-opposed 'holes'? And to remove the center Tesla caps, seems like the only safe way is to remove the wheels, and push them from behind, no? There's not enough area to use a suction cup, is it? And finally, does anybody know what's the torque value for the lug nuts? I'm probably going to replace them with black Gorilla ones, so there's no need for those plastic caps. Thx.

Hey, may I ask how do you remove the covers, and center caps when you want to re-install the aeros again? You just yank the covers out grabbing them from 2 semi-opposed 'holes'? And to remove the center Tesla caps, seems like the only safe way is to remove the wheels, and push them from behind, no? There's not enough area to use a suction cup, is it? And finally, does anybody know what's the torque value for the lug nuts? I'm probably going to replace them with black Gorilla ones, so there's no need for those plastic caps. Thx.
Yes, you just grab and pull off the aero covers. The center caps can be removed with a suction cup or with a plastic trim tool to pry them off. The torque for the lug nuts is 129 ft-lbs.

I've already ordered the Center Caps and Lug nut covers to install after taking off the Aero Covers. But with everything else I'm planning on doing, I'd really like the black rims, not grey (I do love the grey rims that are under the Aeros). Reason I was asking about selling them is because 1. One bad pothole or curb and their value drops massively, and 2. The more wear on the tires, the quicker their value drops as well.

For the 2021 models, none of the wheels from Tsportsline are compatible with the TPMS, which is why I'm looking at tires as well.

Looking to order the Tsportline 18" TST and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's for my 2021 Model 3 Long Range (Picking it up Saturday). My question is, how hard are the stock tires and wheels to sell for a reasonable price, with very little miles on them (500 or less)? Would like to get back most of the money I spend on the upgrade.

Edit: Adding a reply that I posted below for more clarity on why I want to change out the tire/rim combo.

I've already ordered the Center Caps and Lug nut covers to install after taking off the Aero Covers. But with everything else I'm planning on doing, I'd really like the black rims, not grey (I do love the grey rims that are under the Aeros). Reason I was asking about selling them is because 1. One bad pothole or curb and their value drops massively, and 2. The more wear on the tires, the quicker their value drops as well.

For the 2021 models, none of the wheels from Tsportsline are compatible with the TPMS, which is why I'm looking at tires as well.
tesla-model-3-wheel-and-tire-package-18-tst-turbine-style-flow-forged-wheels-gloss-black-v1_694x.progressive.jpg

The other option, which I may end up doing, is just getting the current wheels powder coated black.
Or you can PlastiDip them yourself, which is not as durable but cheap and easy, and reversible. I wanted to do chrome delete in gun metal color on mine to match the wheels, but PlastiDip chromed the wheels instead to match the chrome trim as an easier & reversible temporary mode. This was 2 years ago, they are still the same :) I've scuffed them few times but the PlastiDip is very easy to fix by blending with acetone and overspraying.
20180714_170443.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Or you can PlastiDip them yourself, which is not as durable but cheap and easy, and reversible. I wanted to do chrome delete in gun metal color on mine to match the wheels, but PlastiDip chromed the wheels instead to match the chrome trim as an easier & reversible temporary mode. This was 2 years ago, they are still the same :) I've scuffed them few times but the PlastiDip is very easy to fix by blending with acetone and overspraying.
View attachment 626070

Looks great. Would you consider expanding on the process? Eg. Did you do it yourself? Cost?

Thanks for sharing.