Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock tires at 4/32" after 5300 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d say get your alignment checked out...if the toe settings are off, it’d cause premature wear.....there are a few complaints of alignment being off from the factory.
I’ve driven somewhat aggressively on a set of Michelin pilot 4S and have gotten 20k miles out of them with some life left on them.

MYLR with stock 19-inch Geminis and 2200 miles. My tire depth gauge still shows 9/32nds for all four tires. I expect to reach 8/32nds by 5000 miles. I now keep PSI at recommended 42, but previously experimented with 38 for a cushier ride.

Others already mentioned checking alignment. Besides that, @JLOC are you carrying a lot of extra weight in the rear, towing, or driving over rough pavement or terrain.

Last edited:
So Tesla service came out for something else and measured tire depth. 5 and 6 all around. 12k miles. ouch
That's almost exactly where I'm at. my mobile service tech was out for a warranty issue as well as a tire rotation. he looked at and measured the tires and said not to rotate the tires. Hopefully I can find a good replacement tire that lasts a bit longer. Car has been driven almost exclusively in chill mode

That's almost exactly where I'm at. my mobile service tech was out for a warranty issue as well as a tire rotation. he looked at and measured the tires and said not to rotate the tires. Hopefully I can find a good replacement tire that lasts a bit longer. Car has been driven almost exclusively in chill mode
I am waiting for the new EV tires to release.... Else ill get some with decent warranty lol

MYLR with stock 19-inch Geminis and 2200 miles. My tire depth gauge still shows 9/32nds for all four tires. I expect to reach 8/32nds by 5000 miles. I now keep PSI at recommended 42, but previously experimented with 38 for a cushier ride.

Others already mentioned checking alignment. Besides that, @JLOC are you carrying a lot of extra weight in the rear, towing, or driving over rough pavement or terrain.

I’d say get your alignment checked out...if the toe settings are off, it’d cause premature wear.....there are a few complaints of alignment being off from the factory.
I’ve driven somewhat aggressively on a set of Michelin pilot 4S and have gotten 20k miles out of them with some life left on them.

While I do often drive three kids, all of whom are 7 and under (2 of whom use Diono car seats), I am not otherwise carrying any extra weight on the car (and I do not tow anything). We also live in the suburbs, and 90% of my driving nowadays is consists of me driving the kids to and from school/activities, and all on well-paved roads.

I've got an appointment with the local service center (Irvine, California) on 10/14, so we'll see if it's an alignment issue. For the time being, I've switched the driving mode to chill mode, which is more than fine for my style of driving.

Reactions: jevans3
It not just tesla's that wear down the tires faster than expected. I had a 2017 chevy bolt (got rid of before the battery issues) that at 20k miles was just going to need new tires very soon. Not nearly the acceleration of a tesla and skinnier tires, but very heavy for its size due to the batteries.

Of course I had a 1999 porsche 911 (non turbo) that ate tires just as fast, every 13k miles needed new ones.

I'm just 1.5 month, 1100 miles on my MYLR, and first service visit for exterior gap alignment issue (not the tire) out of delivery tells me front tire is 6 and back is 7 left. I'm driving in chill mode and very conservatively (like most cars around me would accelerate faster than me, EV or not lol), and those number just doesn't make any sense!

I'm just 1.5 month, 1100 miles on my MYLR, and first service visit for exterior gap alignment issue (not the tire) out of delivery tells me front tire is 6 and back is 7 left. I'm driving in chill mode and very conservatively (like most cars around me would accelerate faster than me, EV or not lol), and those number just doesn't make any sense!
Was this a brand new Y LR or a demo unit? We have about 5K miles after three months on our Y LR and the 19” tires are only down 1/32nd. I’m averaging lifetime of 250 Wh/m, so not a lead foot. Check your tire pressures too. If you have 20” performance-rated Summer tires then they’re probably grippier but will wear quicker.

I have NOT noticed excessive tire wear with our Teslas. I had a Model S with exact same 245/45/19 tires as my Lexus LS 460. I used the exact same Pirelli P7 Plus grand touring tires in the Lexus and Model S and both had the same rate of tire wear despite me driving the S with more gusto than the Lexus. The worst tire wear I experienced was actually with a Toyota Sienna.

Reactions: Pianewman
Was this a brand new Y LR or a demo unit? We have about 5K miles after three months on our Y LR and the 19” tires are only down 1/32nd. I’m averaging lifetime of 250 Wh/m, so not a lead foot. Check your tire pressures too. If you have 20” performance-rated Summer tires then they’re probably grippier but will wear quicker.

I have NOT noticed excessive tire wear with our Teslas. I had a Model S with exact same 245/45/19 tires as my Lexus LS 460. I used the exact same Pirelli P7 Plus grand touring tires in the Lexus and Model S and both had the same rate of tire wear despite me driving the S with more gusto than the Lexus. The worst tire wear I experienced was actually with a Toyota Sienna.
It was brand new, delivered with just 25 miles on it. It's a 19" stock, had pressure checked just 10 days after I got it (cuz I got a nail in one of the tire that cost me a replacement...), and my consumption was mostly between 230-270 over the last month except the two times when I drove family to San Diego with like 80 mph on the freeway but even that just higher speed vs quicker acceleration. Otherwise most days I drove just about 20 miles on the weekdays and a bit on the weekends fairly mild.

It was brand new, delivered with just 25 miles on it. It's a 19" stock, had pressure checked just 10 days after I got it (cuz I got a nail in one of the tire that cost me a replacement...), and my consumption was mostly between 230-270 over the last month except the two times when I drove family to San Diego with like 80 mph on the freeway but even that just higher speed vs quicker acceleration. Otherwise most days I drove just about 20 miles on the weekdays and a bit on the weekends fairly mild.
@chyuan , I was rereading your earlier post and it is odd FRONT tires are 6 and worn more than the rear tires (7/32nd).

Isn’t the dual motor Y LR RWD-biased until more power is requested and then the front motor kicks in? I would expect more wear on the rears versus the front, and not the other way around as you’re experiencing. Have you taken the Y for a second opinion or measured the tire depth yourself? Maybe the Tesla tech is misreading the tire depth, or there is a big alignment issue. Is it measuring 6-7 32nds across the whole tire or just on the edges? Also, check and see if you need to rebalance if they’re really worn down that low. I would also check to make sure the wheel bolts are securely fastened to spec. If alignment is off, or wheels way out of balance, or loose, then that could introduce additional wiggle that grinds the tires down. I notice that on cars in front of me, sometimes their tire balance is so bad you can see the tires wobble sideways as the car is traveling forward. Please keep us updated.

@chyuan , I was rereading your earlier post and it is odd FRONT tires are 6 and worn more than the rear tires (7/32nd).

Isn’t the dual motor Y LR RWD-biased until more power is requested and then the front motor kicks in? I would expect more wear on the rears versus the front, and not the other way around as you’re experiencing. Have you taken the Y for a second opinion or measured the tire depth yourself? Maybe the Tesla tech is misreading the tire depth, or there is a big alignment issue. Is it measuring 6-7 32nds across the whole tire or just on the edges? Also, check and see if you need to rebalance if they’re really worn down that low. I would also check to make sure the wheel bolts are securely fastened to spec. If alignment is off, or wheels way out of balance, or loose, then that could introduce additional wiggle that grinds the tires down. I notice that on cars in front of me, sometimes their tire balance is so bad you can see the tires wobble sideways as the car is traveling forward. Please keep us updated.
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the force applied in a single direction is much less than force applied in several directions. The front tires are responsible for directional control so it makes sense that they would wear faster. That's what has happened on my other vehicles. At least those aren't set up in a staggered format and I can rotate them from front to rear.
Of course, what I said doesn't hold true if you're spinning brodies :)

I just re-read the invoice and I feel like dumb, it gave measurement in mm instead of in the 32nd inch, so 6 and 7mm actually translates to 8/32" and almost 9/32" which is like new 🤣 sorry about all the confusion but thanks for all the input, I'll still watch for the front/back difference to see if things change going forward, but I would hope rotating the tire regularly would help balance them anyway (Tesla recommends rotation @6250 miles).

Thanks again all!

Reactions: FatherTo1
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the force applied in a single direction is much less than force applied in several directions. The front tires are responsible for directional control so it makes sense that they would wear faster. That's what has happened on my other vehicles. At least those aren't set up in a staggered format and I can rotate them from front to rear.
Of course, what I said doesn't hold true if you're spinning brodies :)
tbh I don't have much experience with AWD cars, and most other cars I have are all FWD and not EV so I don't really know what to expect, but at least now I know the numbers weren't nearly as bad as I thought so I would just keep an eye on it maybe after another 1-2k miles.

Reactions: MikeR99