Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock tires wearing faster than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Anyone else noticing that the tires that came with their 3 are wearing faster than you would expect? The tread on mine is already getting pretty low after just a little over 12,000 miles. I do tend to accelerate pretty hard at traffic lights so I'm guessing that probably explains a good amount of the wear. I've got the 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and a rear wheel drive Model 3 Long Range. I have already rotated the tires once but need to do another rotation this weekend. Just curious to see how everyone else's tires are holding up.

Reactions: adaptabl
Just did a tire rotation at 6200 miles, all four measured 6/32 around the edges, 7/32 near the center. On the stock 18" aero/tires,LR model. Mostly freeway driving with the occasion brisk acceleration at traffic lights.

My Model 3 LR is one year old with 20K miles. I ran 19" Pirelli P Zero Nero's, rotated them three times, and just replaced them with the Michelin Primacy's. America's Tire told me that 20K miles is pretty much within normal range for Pirelli's on a Tesla. (I drive VERY conservatively, and don't brake hard much at all, as I try to use the regenerative braking whenever possible.)

So far, I've noticed the Michelin's are a much quieter ride than the Pirelli's, although they don't stick and corner as well. Hoping to get more miles out of them too, as the Michelin's are warrantied to 50K miles with even wear and rotating.

I checked min last week. Car has 8,500 miles, rotated at 6,500 miles. Fronts are at 4.5mm, rears are at 5.5mm. Seems excessive to me - I'll be replacing tires at 15,000 miles!
I've since become more sensitive to acceleration and cornering to extend the tread. I also expect to file a treadwear warranty claim when I get new tires.

Apart from the first few weeks, no mashing the pedal from standstill. (229 lifetime wh/mi).

LR RWD, MXM4s currently at just under 7/32” all around. 15K miles, now rotated twice (rearward cross).

I guess having the car mostly in the hands of the conservative driver (wife) has its benefits. I play on weekends. ;)

I drive pretty conservatively (~9K total miles at 220 wh/mi lifetime with several 500+ mile roadtrips) and am at 8/32 all around from my last service appointment a couple weeks ago when I was at 8900 miles. I've never rotated it since there's no point in doing it yet. How you drive must have a significant impact on tread wear.

Edit: This is for the LR RWD that I took delivery on in March 2018.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Anyone else noticing that the tires that came with their 3 are wearing faster than you would expect? The tread on mine is already getting pretty low after just a little over 12,000 miles. I do tend to accelerate pretty hard at traffic lights so I'm guessing that probably explains a good amount of the wear. I've got the 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and a rear wheel drive Model 3 Long Range. I have already rotated the tires once but need to do another rotation this weekend. Just curious to see how everyone else's tires are holding up.
18,000 miles on the same 18” tires and they are still good. Now the Roadster is another story

LR, RWD, 18” Aeros removed. I rotated mine at 5,000 miles. The OEM Michelin MXM4 have 8/32” new. My fronts were still 8/32” and rears were 7/32”.

My OEM tires on my 2010 Prius were Yokohama and I only got 26,000 miles out of them. I used Michelin Energy Savers after and got warranty miles every time.

I read on the Prius forum that OEM tires are not made to same specs as new replacement tires and typically do not have the same tread depth.