Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock vs after market wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on ordering a dual motor performance model 3 without the $5000 performance package. This option does not offer 19" wheels but only the aero 18" (which I think look ugly). So I am debating whether to buy the 19" wheels from Tesla's store post purchase or get the 19" turbines from Tsportline @ 29 pounds in weight. Don't know how much the stock 19s weigh.

If my main goal is to optimize performance, acceleration and handling, which wheels make more sense to get? I'll throw in the 20" stock and 20" Tsportline for consideration too.

Elon in his tweets seems to suggest that the 20"s are the best for performance but I have read that larger wheels can often hinder performance when compared with smaller ones of same quality tire.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you want to optimize performance, acceleration, and handling, it makes the most sense to keep the 18s and put PS 4s tires on there.

The 19s will simply be heavier, cost more, and not take any wider a tire.

the only reason the 20s are "better" is they already come with the PS 4s tires on em. Otherwise they're again heavier and not any wider than the 18s.

• Informative
Reactions: Ejl80 and DR61
If you want to optimize performance, acceleration, and handling, it makes the most sense to keep the 18s and put PS 4s tires on there.

the only reason the 20s are "better" is they already come with the PS 4s tires on em. Otherwise they're again heavier and not any wider than the 18s.

Agreed. Just take the aero covers off. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: wallet.dat and DR61
So the 18 can take wider tire? Like what size do you recommend?
Both 18s and 19s are 8.5" wide. Tire manufacturers list a range of rim widths any given tire will fit. Many people have put wider rims on the rear. One person that I've seen has put 9.5" width rims and 265mm width tires on the front. I assume that's a very tight fit.
If you like the 19" rims I'm sure you can find some used ones for a good price. Quick check on eBay show that a set with tires sold for $1225.

..depends on what definition of “performance”...do u want reduced weight so u can 0-60 faster ??...u plan on tracking this so car has better handling ??? ...the larger rim will handle better IMO

Reduced weight and better handling. Would 19s be a good compromise? Which 19s would be light weight?

..I also forgot to add looks :D ...19s are good compromise ...just look for forged wheels ...the manufacturing process for forged makes them stronger and lighter ...there are so many choices out there ..check out Vossens

..depends on what definition of “performance”...do u want reduced weight so u can 0-60 faster ??...u plan on tracking this so car has better handling ??? ...the larger rim will handle better IMO

Do you mean factory or aftermarket?

Factory 20s are much heavier than the 18s, even the factory 19s are like 15% heavier than the 18s.

Aftermarket you can likely find light wheels in any size, depending on budget and looks preference.

Personally I'd get the widest 18s or 19s I could if I was swapping wheels and just the widest PS4s on I could

Reduced weight and better handling. Would 19s be a good compromise? Which 19s would be light weight?
I swapped out my stock 18's for Avante Guard M621 "spin forged" alloys in 19"x8.5 with a 35mm offset. I saw them weighed at 23 pounds...roughly the same as the stock 18" with aero caps. I upsized the tires to 245/40-19" Conti ExtremeContact Sports for the improved grip, sidewall protection and ride comfort. I'm very happy with the look and performance compared to the stock setup.

Reactions: Skione65 and P85_DA
I swapped out my stock 18's for Avante Guard M621 "spin forged" alloys in 19"x8.5 with a 35mm offset. I saw them weighed at 23 pounds...roughly the same as the stock 18" with aero caps. I upsized the tires to 245/40-19" Conti ExtremeContact Sports for the improved grip, sidewall protection and ride comfort. I'm very happy with the look and performance compared to the stock setup.

@StaceyR,

Would love to see Photos!

Ski

Pics please

When figuring wheel weight I would use wheel/tire weight combo.

A lot of people are quick to point out that the 19" wheels are heavier and that is true but the overall weight is almost the same or lighter as tires with less sidewall and same diameter are going to weigh less.

Another thing to consider is rotational mass, with more weight towards the center and less towards the edge of the wheel/tire combo then you should have faster acceleration with the sport wheel combo over the aero wheel combo

When figuring wheel weight I would use wheel/tire weight combo.

A lot of people are quick to point out that the 19" wheels are heavier and that is true but the overall weight is almost the same or lighter as tires with less sidewall and same diameter are going to weigh less.

Another thing to consider is rotational mass, with more weight towards the center and less towards the edge of the wheel/tire combo then you should have faster acceleration with the sport wheel combo over the aero wheel combo

It depends on the tire. The Michelin PS4S for all three sizes (235/45-18, 235/40-19 & 235/35-20) are all 23 lbs.

Anyone know why? My only guess is that the smaller sidewall needs thicker rubber for rigidity.

But I want to a add these better rotors which don't fit with 18".
MPP Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit

What wheel would be best for those?

It depends on the tire. The Michelin PS4S for all three sizes (235/45-18, 235/40-19 & 235/35-20) are all 23 lbs.

Anyone know why? My only guess is that the smaller sidewall needs thicker rubber for rigidity.
Looks like the 18 and 19 are the same weight at 24.82 lbs. but the 20 is either 22.69 or 23.1 lbs. as they have 2 (one must be an OEM model) I noticed Tirerack weights were off a bit from Michelins site.

This is straight from Michelins site Michelin Automotive Tires: Car Tires, Truck Tires, SUV Tires and more
click on the link, scroll down to specs and documentation and click download to see all the specs for all 4s tire sizes

@StaceyR,

Would love to see Photos!

Ski
Sorry...no close-up pics yet.
0620181112.jpg
0620181108b.jpg