Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock vs after market wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, they should contrast nicely with my white Model 3. They've been sitting in my garage for 6 months so I'm excited to finally get my car to put them on.

The weights I listed above are what I measured real-world, and includes wheels weights and TPMS. It appears the 245/40/19's are actually closer to 25lbs even though Michelin quotes 26.5? Seems like a pretty big discrepancy, but the 275/35/19's match up at 27.6lbs. I'll probably take a small range hit with those wide rears but that's an okay trade off for me. An added bonus at those sizes is the rubber sidewall sticks out just enough to protect from curbing the wheels (not that I would anyway ;)).

I have the white as well in the LR so I look forward to some pics! and While my wife uses the wheels as curb finders and I am super careful, I am the one who scraped both front and rear on the right side once already (still kicking myself) so I like the idea of a little extra sidewall protection, also turned in a driveway a little early because I was trying to hurry one day and the right rear wheel hit the curb at only less than 3" height (maybe 2.5" ?)and it folded that sidewall to let the wheel lip hit and there is another ugly spot on the wheel (it's killing me) so yeah the extra load range with a little more sidewall height (3.7" vs. 3.9") would be great and there is another reason to get your set up, the awesome handling.

I plan on ordering a dual motor performance model 3 without the $5000 performance package. This option does not offer 19" wheels but only the aero 18" (which I think look ugly). So I am debating whether to buy the 19" wheels from Tesla's store post purchase or get the 19" turbines from Tsportline @ 29 pounds in weight. Don't know how much the stock 19s weigh.

If my main goal is to optimize performance, acceleration and handling, which wheels make more sense to get? I'll throw in the 20" stock and 20" Tsportline for consideration too.

Elon in his tweets seems to suggest that the 20"s are the best for performance but I have read that larger wheels can often hinder performance when compared with smaller ones of same quality tire.

Any thoughts?
Did not read thru whole thread but heard you can order the 19s in the configurator by calling Tesla. The price should be the $1900 price point or what ever it is when configuring the 3LR. Not sure if it will work but should save you some money than buying after the fact.

@StaceyR That looks great! We should have had you come down to do a group shot with one of our other guys.

27851943878_1b63f55f51_c.jpg

Thanks...mine should look even more like this after I get the Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed in a couple of days. This is the actual pic that convinced me to go with the Avant Garde M621 rim. Elegant yet sporty, with minimal bling. The low 23 pound weight was the capper. The car is the true star but the right wheels (without excessive wheel well gap) make it truly stand out! Pics to come soon...

Reactions: Sg911
Did not read thru whole thread but heard you can order the 19s in the configurator by calling Tesla. The price should be the $1900 price point or what ever it is when configuring the 3LR. Not sure if it will work but should save you some money than buying after the fact.

Where did you hear this from? Do you have a link? Am curious whether or not this is true.