Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock wheel questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked through the photo thread and have some questions on the OEM wheels:

1. Many of the sport wheels are gun metal gray or black. Did Tesla ever offer a dark sport wheel or were they powder coated?

2. How's the durability of powder coated wheels and what can I expect to pay?

3. I find that the 20" sport wheel looks quite different/better than the 19" sport wheel now offered, but that sidewall looks tiny. Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality?

4. I'm hopelessly color blind. Would gun metal sport wheels look good with MSM or would flat black (to match the trim) look best?

Thanks in advance for your help. Hoping to order the M3 LR MSM in the spring.

A fair number of people have had problems with the 20” wheels getting bent. Happened to me as well.. As I had read about people having issues I kept them inflated properly all the time. Just normal road bumps bent them (not even really a pot hole).

I ended up switching to 19” Martian wheel as I didn’t want to keep putting $$ into fixing weak 20” wheels. They immediately smoothed the ride back out. The car is awesome but I would recommend against the Tesla 20” wheels.

A fair number of people have had problems with the 20” wheels getting bent. Happened to me as well.. As I had read about people having issues I kept them inflated properly all the time. Just normal road bumps bent them (not even really a pot hole).

I ended up switching to 19” Martian wheel as I didn’t want to keep putting $$ into fixing weak 20” wheels. They immediately smoothed the ride back out. The car is awesome but I would recommend against the Tesla 20” wheels.
I find that interesting inasmuch as I drive in Chicago and found the ride to be only slightly harsher than with my winter wheels (18") and 6000 miles in with some of the lousier roads in the country (I think), I have had no issues despite some good whacks.

1. Many of the sport wheels are gun metal gray or black. Did Tesla ever offer a dark sport wheel or were they powder coated?

3. I find that the 20" sport wheel looks quite different/better than the 19" sport wheel now offered, but that sidewall looks tiny. Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality?

4. I'm hopelessly color blind. Would gun metal sport wheels look good with MSM or would flat black (to match the trim) look best?

1. Mine (2020) came in dark gray stock, 20" on M3P
2. Powder coating with attendant high heat definitely weakens a wheel; based on what some have to say about bent wheels, probably not a good idea for the stock 20", tho I have had no problem with unmodded wheels on Chicago's lumpy streets.
3. I don't feel much difference even compared to my 18" winter set tho I'm sure the shock tolerance would be better with 18 or 19.
4. Dunno--very subjective! I have the dark gray stock for summer (is that what you mean by gunmetal?) and flat black for summer and both look great with the white!

1. Mine (2020) came in dark gray stock, 20" on M3P
2. Powder coating with attendant high heat definitely weakens a wheel; based on what some have to say about bent wheels, probably not a good idea for the stock 20", tho I have had no problem with unmodded wheels on Chicago's lumpy streets.

Thanks for this info. I couldn't imagine that so many people that posted in the photo thread could have powder coated their wheels.

I think I'll order the Aero wheels and replace them with 19" T-Sportline Flow Forged wheel and tire package.

Wonder what I can do with the 18" Aero wheels and tires? I don't need a winter wheel set.

1. OEM are not black, but they're dark
3. In theory yes. I actually think the 19s look better (not a fan of the rubberbanded gigantic-wheel fad). BUT, in my opinion the 20s do not ride bad at all. And they haven't been damage prone yet.
4. I would go with gun metal + MSM