TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stock Wheels vs Rial Luganos

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by bart513, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bart513

bart513 Member

Aside from the fact that the Tesla SC's don't want to change non-stock wheels, is there any major difference between the stock 21 " wheels and the Rial Lugano's from Tire Rack?

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

the Rial's dont really like the stock turbines. they are curved much more. some people had issues with the Rial's bending when hitting a pothole. if you want the OEM look, check out TSportline 19" TST . A LOT of us here are running on those. big threads here on TMC with lots of pics of them. They look exactly like the 21" turbines and much, much, much, much, much cheaper. They've been independently tested (great wheel), and made to OEM specs with a slight difference in offset and 0.5" wider. highly recommend the Tsportlines...

3. bart513

bart513 Member

Thanks yogobid. I'm going to PM you on this

4. green1

green1 Active Member

Rial's look so close to the OEM 21s that I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't own a Tesla who can tell the difference. I also think the bending thing is over-rated, I don't think they are that bad.

The Rial's are also less than half the cost of the TSTs, so for the price difference there was no way I could justify the TSTs

Quite happy with my Rials

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

All this talk about the Rials bending is totally anecdotal. Here's my anecdote: I have three sets of wheels, Tesla 21s, AG 20s, and Rial 19s. The Rials are the only ones which haven't bent.

BTW, my Rials are for sale. I've had them re-powdercoated and they have virtually new tires. PM me if you're interested. Will post on the Classifieds next week.

6. youlikeadajuice

I've also had no trouble with my Rials that I use with winter tires. I have bent two of my Tesla stock 19s with all seasons though. They look great!

IMG_0088.jpg

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

The Sportline TSTs have gone up in price. I got my set for $1650 shipped. They're now about $2000 for the same thing.

8. green1

green1 Active Member

The Rial's were $189/wheel last I looked... just saying...

9. donv

donv Member

I have my winter tires on Rials. No issues, and I like how they look.

10. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I have my winter tires (Michelin Xi3's) on the dark colored Rials. I've run them through 2 harsh Canadian winters and lots of potholes in Toronto and no issues so far.

Everyone tells me I should switch them to summer use as they look so much better than the stock 19's.

11. mgdurand

mgdurand Member

I have over 50,000 miles on my Rial's, and no problems. I bought them when my stock Cyclone bent, but that pothole would have bent anything. Yes, Tesla refuses to service anything about them, but they haven't needed anything.

I bought them over the TST's because I think the color and shape look better.

I have been complimented on my awesome looking TST's, but I had to reply that they are in fact Rial Lugano's and they are half the price

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

A quick note about Rials and Z-chains. If you find the need to put Z-chains on your Rials, the center mounted rubber tensioner will remove the finish from the wheel. Marred up both of my rears on a recent trip with chain controls.

13. AnitaToronto

AnitaToronto Member

I have both the 21" OEM Turbines and the 19" Rials and I actually prefer the look of the Rials. I am selling my 21" Tesla turbines and likely replacing with another set of Rials for my summer tires.