Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stockpiled LR-RWDs for quick delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems many people who have recently ordered a LR RWD (myself included) are getting delivery windows around 2 weeks. Presumably, these are the cars produced and stockpiled during the push to reach 5,000/wk.

Do you think there are any reasons to believe these stockpiled cars are less desirable than a "fresh made" car, delivered right after production?

I wouldn't have a problem with one, either. In fact, after test driving a RWD the other day, I felt like it was "fast enough", but I don't want to incur the added costs for delivery fees and color, so I'm hesitant to change my order now from AWD. Of course, being in Texas, nothing is moving quickly for us here

My brand new Performance (delivered Aug 3) had 2 cosmetic issues on delivery - 1 was near the same as the one we got in January - both have seen been addressed in service. So while there are improvements in things like headlight alignment and such (what we noticed) there were still 'quality' issues ... I wouldn't be afraid of the RWD cars

I was contacted less than 24 hours after ordering with VIN 490xx for delivery as soon as Aug 17th (10 days after order). I am guessing it was made in the late June or early July timeframe but I don’t know for sure. Would definitely like to know. I think it is safe to say mine was stockpiled and not built specifically for me after ordering.

Tesla produced 41,000 model 3s from July 2017 through June 2018 but I heard they may have skipped or not used some VINS so that doesn’t guarantee that mine in the 49000s wasn’t built late in June.

It would worry me a little but if it was during the big push but hopefully it all works out.

For our first order, I was one of the one's who got the "July delay" email after ordering on 4/30. So, I was expecting one that was being "stock piled".

I knew within a 30 minute window of when the system assigned my VIN on June 7th. Later in the following week I was given my VIN.
My VIN was 25XXX. At the time, a lot of people were getting VIN's in the 30k's. I would often see people online worry when they were being assigned a VIN in the 20k's.

My Delivery Date was June 30th. I got my car a day after it was delivered to the service center. The build date was June 18th. So basically, My VIN was assigned before it came off the line. I'm also on the east coast so it had to make a couple trips before getting to me.

This is one of the reasons people should stop worrying about VIN's or cars being stock piled. If anything, model 3's are a lot less "stock piled" than traditional cars that are made far in advanced and stockpiled. I live about 45 minutes from the Phila airport and in that vicinity there are a handful of purgatories for new cars. I'm also sure there are a ton more places that have even bigger stock piles of gas cars.

Then, they have to make it to the dealership and sit for another few weeks or months. Lastly, those cars have the pleasure of being sit in by all different types of rear ends, some of which sit on public toilets, don't know how to wash their hands, and use their clothes as napkins.

Buying a model 3 has turned on a lot of different antennas on in all of us that weren't there when we were buying cars that ran on dead organisms.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Side note: I'm not a germaphobe or anything and half of my cars in the past were purchased used. I'm just being a tad bit extra to get my point across;).