Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stocks to diversify away from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I know this is not a general investing forum, but what are some good investment strategies in 2020 other than Tesla. What are other Tesla investors doing?

I own a significant amount of Tesla, but stopped investing more after the $420 fiasco, roughly.

The "buy and hold" strategy really worked well, but it depended on a lot of faith to get through all the crises. I don't see myself having such faith in other strategies, nor do I know much about them.

Healthcare seems like a good industry, but it is overpriced due to hype? I bought a small amount of TDOC on a whim two years ago at $77.81, now it is at $193.53. Can it be worth that much even though they don't make any money?

Lets assume for the sake of avoiding the COVID topic speculation, the official narrative of rolling re-openings July-August followed by periodic flare ups over the next 12 months.

I find it difficult to identify companies to invest in. The markets have recovered some of the initial losses. Personally I expect much more pain to come. That the markets anticipate the future just does not explain it for me.

So I believe TSLA is one of the best investments out there.

The only sure thing (there are no sure things) is cash, so I am holding some cash for when the markets realize the magnitude of the problems Corona is causing.

Hope I am wrong and totally fine with that.

I find it difficult to identify companies to invest in.

So I believe TSLA is one of the best investments out there.

The only sure thing (there are no sure things) is cash
I believe your first statement.

Regarding your second statement, if you think the market for luxury vehicles isn’t going to be one of the first to take a nose-dive then I don’t know what to tell you. Add to that an electric luxury vehicle and you’re really up the creek.

Also, cash is a horrible place to park when inflation is a distinct possibility.

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
The only sure thing (there are no sure things) is cash, so I am holding some cash for when the markets realize the magnitude of the problems Corona is causing.

Problem with cash is that you are going to have to call the bottom somewhere. And it doesn't explain what you will buy with it in that second crash.

I suppose you could buy real estate in the event of foreclosures.

I know this is not a general investing forum, but what are some good investment strategies in 2020 other than Tesla. What are other Tesla investors doing?

I own a significant amount of Tesla, but stopped investing more after the $420 fiasco, roughly.

The "buy and hold" strategy really worked well, but it depended on a lot of faith to get through all the crises. I don't see myself having such faith in other strategies, nor do I know much about them.

Healthcare seems like a good industry, but it is overpriced due to hype? I bought a small amount of TDOC on a whim two years ago at $77.81, now it is at $193.53. Can it be worth that much even though they don't make any money?

Lets assume for the sake of avoiding the COVID topic speculation, the official narrative of rolling re-openings July-August followed by periodic flare ups over the next 12 months.
I believe Teledoc is a very strong mid (maybe long) term hold, just like Tesla. Sky is the limit for them. IMO, (1) they will either become the dominant player or (2) you can cash in when they are bought out in the next year or two.

I rode them from 116 to 170 over 3-4 week period not too long ago. Sweet!

If it weren't for TSLA, TDOC would be my main horse.

Reactions: user212_nr
I believe Teledoc is a very strong mid (maybe long) term hold, just like Tesla. Sky is the limit for them. IMO, (1) they will either become the dominant player or (2) you can cash in when they are bought out in the next year or two.

I rode them from 116 to 170 over 3-4 week period not too long ago. Sweet!

If it weren't for TSLA, TDOC would be my main horse.

Its hard to buy a stock at $190 when you bought it 2 years ago at $77, but they are a software "startup". This puts them on a different trajectory, as more people learn about telemedicine and legitimize it. Their software development and management costs will not increase with more users.

Its a good point that they should at least keep value. Lots of articles saying otherwise, but they are dated a few days and they went up from that.

I stick with tech of the future and dump anything that are engulfed by entrenched players. Covid is an accelerator for disruptors. Any large dividend paying corporation with lots of bloat providing the world with old technology will be in for a rough time. Always bet on nimble companies that can turn a profit with few resources and have 90%+ market share to steal so even when there's a massive drop off in overall demand of X product, the company you invested in has such small market share that growth wouldn't be disrupted. Remember, only the entrenched players with most of the market share will pay the biggest price during a recession.

With that being said, I am still very long on TSLA due to these reasons. I also wouldn't put money into biotech that deals with covid that this is a 1x event so after the event is over, all of those stocks will tumble 80%+.

I stick with tech of the future and dump anything that are engulfed by entrenched players. Covid is an accelerator for disruptors. Any large dividend paying corporation with lots of bloat providing the world with old technology will be in for a rough time. Always bet on nimble companies that can turn a profit with few resources and have 90%+ market share to steal so even when there's a massive drop off in overall demand of X product, the company you invested in has such small market share that growth wouldn't be disrupted. Remember, only the entrenched players with most of the market share will pay the biggest price during a recession.

With that being said, I am still very long on TSLA due to these reasons. I also wouldn't put money into biotech that deals with covid that this is a 1x event so after the event is over, all of those stocks will tumble 80%+.
Like Tesla, Teledoc didn't need COVID. However, also like Tesla, the pandemic will end up accelerating their ascent to possible domination.

I'll say it again: If someone is looking for a secondary stock after TSLA, TDOC might be a very good one. Be advised the stock has doubled over the last 3 months but, again like TSLA, future growth prospects seem excellent. Take your time, do some research and make an informed decision.

Put your money back on TSLA...

To recap, we have three proposals:
1) Keep 100% of money in TSLA (1 vote)
2) Cash (1 vote)
3) TDOC (1-2 votes)
4) Unspecified tech/biotech

Be advised the stock has doubled over the last 3 months but, again like TSLA, future growth prospects seem excellent. Take your time, do some research and make an informed decision.

I'm aware that it has doubled, actually for me it has done 140% in about 2 years. I didn't buy more last year because it was up 40%, but I'm realizing that this is a small software startup, just like FB and Google were. They can easily double every year until they have most of the country using it.

A lot of what I'm reading "this is all one time covid vists" and "its up so it will go back down in a few months" doesn't really make much sense.

I'm already thinking myself that if I "had to go to the doctor" I'd use tdoc. There is literally no option of visiting a doctor right now except in an emergency.

aside from TSLA,
my main focus, and about 90% of my time, i rode quick runs on panw and shop as i was buying options in them when they dropped.

i have since taken profits in them

i’m trying to raise a bit more cash (i’m about 25% cash in that particular account)

i too expect another downturn, the longevity of it equally as elusive. i usually let the market dictate to me what to do on these downswings. i never deploy all cash at the same time, nor the same duration (for options).

broad mkt sell offs can be double edged sword bc you can make money on just about anything on the turnaround, so you may be tempted to spread it. i try to stay disciplined and stick with a few rather than a dozen.

that said, it’s clear i’m looking for higher returns then just stepping into etfs or indices. but if those are your game, same rules. step into them.

i think intuitive surgical has been fun to watch or even illumina, but i don’t know enough about them and think they’re still not discounted enough. shop has been volatile and it’s blown through ATH, earnings may 5 or something. they are killing it, and the product is great, but jeeze it’s high. as mentioned early PANW...they are also doing well turning out firewalls so i think it has room to keep going (but i did take half off table after i tripled it).

this pandemic is tough. does the historical mean anything or will it rewrite with new ranges (for any stock).

do we get through this, i have faith yes.

but still i think it’s always good to have some cash, even during the mega bull run.

i remain LT on tsla
keep an eye on cash
threw a small % of total portfolio exposure to precious metals and BTC over the last couple years.

we shall see, but always open to ideas