Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen J1772 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my J1772 charging adapter stolen from my M3 yesterday while charging at a public station at the Domain in Austin, TX. I'm pretty shocked by this because two security features failed during this incident in my opinion. I was under the impression that the adapter would always be locked in the charging port even if the plug to the charging station is pulled. I'm guessing that is not actually true since someone was clearly able to remove it? The car was locked and Sentry was on, which leads to the next failure: I have multiple clips of people walking around what was an active parking garage, but I have no footage of the plug and adapter being taken from my car. What happened there?

Has this happened to anyone else in the past? I'm very concerned about these security features not working, and I'm upset I have to buy another adapter from an online Tesla store that has a horrible record of getting anything out in a timely manor, if at all.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Strange- folks buying a 50K+ car are stealing an adapter -
May be this can help -
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Cha...prefix=tesla+j+1772+lock+,aps,140&sr=8-9&th=1
That can't help, because it's not doing the thing that is the problem in this case.

That lock you are linking to is to prevent someone from pressing the release latch on the J1772 handle while the adapter is still locked into someone's charge port. So it is to prevent someone from taking the plug while your car is still charging or locked in. But in this case, the adapter was already unlatched from the port. So someone could still just pull the whole thing out, pull that plastic locking ring off, and still unhook the J1772 plug from the adapter. It doesn't help with this if the adapter is not locked into the charging port (which is the problem here).

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
That can't help, because it's not doing the thing that is the problem in this case.

That lock you are linking to is to prevent someone from pressing the release latch on the J1772 handle while the adapter is still locked into someone's charge port. So it is to prevent someone from taking the plug while your car is still charging or locked in. But in this case, the adapter was already unlatched from the port. So someone could still just pull the whole thing out, pull that plastic locking ring off, and still unhook the J1772 plug from the adapter. It doesn't help with this if the adapter is not locked into the charging port (which is the problem here).

I think one just needs the right small combination luggage lock that fits in the J1772 handle (not the Tesla adapter). The lock goes through holes in the J1772, and prevents one from fully depressing the release button, thus locking the Tesla adapter to the end of the J1772. In this thread's scenario, it wouldn't prevent the whole thing from being pulled out of the car, if the charge port lock pin is not engaged - but it would prevent someone from making off with your adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I have tested multiple times that all my Tesla cars (2012 MS, 2017 MX, 2018 M3) lock the J1772 adapter once the car is locked. It can only be removed when the car is unlocked. Could it be that you thought it was locked but it was not?
I went to the X the other day. Unplugged the J1772 gun, then I was able to pull out the adapter. Then I realized that I didn't have the key with me so the car wouldn't unlock the chargeport like it normally would. I recalled it happened before but I can't purposely replicate it. Glitch?

Upvote 0
I have a 3D printed Karen lock that will prevent the 1772 Handle from being detached. However, if someone really wanted to unplug I’m sure they could break it with a screwdriver or other tool.

Unless I manually press “Unlock Charge Port” from the app or in the car, it will not let go of the adapter for nothing - even if the 1772 handle has been disconnected. I’ve had issues we’re is hasn’t unlocked, led to a red error and didn’t want to release my adapter. I’m sorry this happened. People will steal anything.

Upvote 0
I didn't have the key with me so the car was locked. I had to use the app to unlock.
Service Center? Is that a joke? LOL

I believe your report but it’s contrary to my experience.

But my belief on you is based on faith and not evidence.

Service Center can look up the log as concrete evidence with no needs for faith.

It doesn't happen to me so I would not report it. It happened to you but if you don't report it, Tesla might not know there's a problem.

Upvote 0
This happened to a buddy of mine at the mall. Sentri caught all of it.

Some kids comes and unplugs it, tries to pull it out but it wont budge cause its locked.
He gives up, comes back one minute later ( another sentri video ) and just walks in and pulls the bare adapter out without any issues - as if it were unlocked.

We were no where near the car.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This happened to a buddy of mine at the mall. Sentri caught all of it.

Some kids comes and unplugs it, tries to pull it out but it wont budge cause its locked.
He gives up, comes back one minute later ( another sentri video ) and just walks in and pulls the bare adapter out without any issues - as if it were unlocked.

We were no where near the car.
More reasons not to leave your car charging alone. Besides, most Superchargers are so fast that you don't get much time before the charging is completed.

Upvote 0