Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost my wallet a week ago and apparently it was found by a national crime syndicate, with fraud attempts made on my cards in multiple states. I shut all those down, but my Tesla key card is still out there. They also know where I live, thanks to my drivers license.

If I go to the dealer with my wife’s card, can I get a new card while getting her card reprogrammed so as to lock out the missing card? Is that how that would work?

And is there a risk the old card could take the car away in the meanwhile?

I lost my wallet a week ago and apparently it was found by a national crime syndicate, with fraud attempts made on my cards in multiple states. I shut all those down, but my Tesla key card is still out there. They also know where I live, thanks to my drivers license.

If I go to the dealer with my wife’s card, can I get a new card while getting her card reprogrammed so as to lock out the missing card? Is that how that would work?

And is there a risk the old card could take the car away in the meanwhile?
You should be able to go into Controls > Locks and then delete out the keycard that was stolen. Also, you should be able to use your wife's keycard to program a new one without having to go to the service center. Key cards are available both online on Tesla's website and through service centers.

Actually I was under the impression that you needed the key card to deactivate it. Someone correct me if I’m wrong however the last time I tried to delete one it told me to “swipe card on center console reader to deactivate” with the diagram of the swiping card over the console card reader swiping On the center screen.

Ski

Actually I was under the impression that you needed the key card to deactivate it. Someone correct me if I’m wrong however the last time I tried to delete one it told me to “swipe card on center console reader to deactivate” with the diagram of the swiping card over the console card reader swiping On the center screen.

Ski
Per the owner's manual, it doesn't have to be the original keycard. The OP has his wife's card that's paired (paired keyfob is also acceptable) with the vehicle. He can use that to authenticate and delete the stolen card.

Thank you! Ended up calling my local service center and got through, which doesn’t always happen. The guy was very helpful and walked me through the steps that Tranquil Rage laid out – thank you. And indeed, I did have to swipe my wife’s card to deactivate my missing card, halfway thinking I was misunderstanding the instructions and would wipe hers out. But it worked.

Oh yeah – there’s an owners manual! Everything is so easy and intuitive with this car, for the moment I forgot I had that option. Next, I’ll look to see if I can save myself a trip and order up a card. Weird the service center guy didn’t recommend that, but he must’ve figured that since I didn’t know about an owners manual…

Reactions: Skione65
Thank you! Ended up calling my local service center and got through, which doesn’t always happen. The guy was very helpful and walked me through the steps that Tranquil Rage laid out – thank you. And indeed, I did have to swipe my wife’s card to deactivate my missing card, halfway thinking I was misunderstanding the instructions and would wipe hers out. But it worked.

Oh yeah – there’s an owners manual! Everything is so easy and intuitive with this car, for the moment I forgot I had that option. Next, I’ll look to see if I can save myself a trip and order up a card. Weird the service center guy didn’t recommend that, but he must’ve figured that since I didn’t know about an owners manual…
Here's the link to a set of 2 new keycards on Tesla's website: Model 3/Y Key Card

Reactions: Skione65

Whoever you talked to did the right thing by not mentioning the owners manual to you. Most in that situation, if on the phone with a customer service type person, would be very upset for that person to say "the answer is in the manual".

Glad you got it figured out, and hopefully you dont have any other negative impact from losing your wallet. There is always so much to look out for in that instance, that is very stressful.

I'm trying to find out where I can order a tesla card for my Y. My husband's truck got broken into and they took his wallet, tesla card in it. Where can I go purchase another one? I've tried calling the service center and just all robotic - just going in circles. Does anyone have a link?? Thank you - greatly appreciated

I'm trying to find out where I can order a tesla card for my Y. My husband's truck got broken into and they took his wallet, tesla card in it. Where can I go purchase another one? I've tried calling the service center and just all robotic - just going in circles. Does anyone have a link?? Thank you - greatly appreciated
Tranquil Rage posted the link some posts back if you'd like to scroll up. Otherwise, I reposted it here: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-key-card

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin