Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As terrible as this theft/accident was, what would the accident scene have looked like had the thieves stolen a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle? A CNG vehicle? Would the building still be standing?
As far as horrific accident damage potential, I think the least dangerous is BEV, then diesel, gasoline, 3000psi CNG, and worst ?kPsi Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Somebody please correct me or comment if I am wrong.
I'd rather be in a Tesla Model S than a Humvee or any other car.

From what I understand, Toyota made their fuel cell tank bullet-proof because if that thing ever cracked or broke....

I'm not sure about the Model S's aluminum plating being bulletproof other than perhaps the recent titanium shield they added, but that shielding doesn't cover the whole underside.

From what I understand, Toyota made their fuel cell tank bullet-proof because if that thing ever cracked or broke....

I'm not sure about the Model S's aluminum plating being bulletproof other than perhaps the recent titanium shield they added, but that shielding doesn't cover the whole underside.

The Model S was ripped in half. I really doubt any tank could survive that. Certainly at the weak area of the valve and hose connections.

With regard to seatbelt I remember some study saying that above a certain speed the probability of survival is higher without the belt because you get ejected from the car and may well land in a way that you are injured, but alive, yet if you were kept in the car the damage to the interior is likely to be so extensive that you'd die. So who knows, if they really crashed at 120mph or so, then being ejected might have been the thing that saved him.

And I agree that gradual slowdown of the car could easily be done safely. A kW limiter starting from 200kW going down to 10-20kW over 20s or so would so it as you'd be able to keep going and maneuver while not being able to accelerate hard. This would slow the car gradually down to manageable speeds and police could do their thing. But of course this should only happen in a police pursuit at request from the police to Tesla. Or well if I were Tesla I'd also do it when a car is stolen from my store/service center.

Sorry ... but I see neither cameras nor highlights? Am I blind?

Find the small red sign near the collapsed light pole/man in hi vis jacket.

Go vertically up until you hit the brown coloured square with a grille in it.

Go left - there is a large light coloured circle - that is the highlight

in the centre of the circle are what appear to be CCTV cameras.

Either that or I am seeing things....!

You might be blind... :smile:

aaaaa.jpg

Oh that ... good spotting. Looks like top left is white camera pointing 45 degrees to the lower left, and maybe a birdseye white vertical blob, but odd angle for a camera, the latter, would be.
If they are functioning cameras, I might pay to see that footage. :)
Thanks! And my apologies for doubting you.
You could add some more red arrows! :)

With regard to seatbelt I remember some study saying that above a certain speed the probability of survival is higher without the belt because you get ejected from the car and may well land in a way that you are injured, but alive, yet if you were kept in the car the damage to the interior is likely to be so extensive that you'd die. So who knows, if they really crashed at 120mph or so, then being ejected might have been the thing that saved him.

Interesting point Mario, but as you say, we really don't know in this case, and we don't know if it's valid for the Model S, or recently built cars (the study may be on data that's outdated given changes in vehicle safety).

Many articles have at least suggested a passenger was in the Model S as well. It's not clear if he was one of the critically injured, but the articles I've seen have given me the impression the other person whose remained in the hospital was in the Honda, so we may well find out that there was a passenger with his/her belt on in the S who faired better than the driver.