Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stolen Tesla Crashes, Splits in Half in Fiery Multi-Car Wreck in West Hollywood | NBC Southern California

- - - Updated - - -

no no no. this is dangerous. what if your kid does it when you are driving on a highway or bridge or worse while trying to pass someone on a 1 lane rd or making left turn at a light. this is a big no no.

Agreed.

In this case, in this day and age, with insurance, and the car equipped with GPS and 3G etc, would it not have been more prudent to let the thief "escape", and NOT engage in pursuit and simply recover recover the vehicle at a later date? Also, he's got to charge it eventually. It's not like he's going to get far fast. And the worst case is the loss of the vehicle cost, which is surly covered by insurance.

(Granted, there is a case for disabling the vehicle remotely, I'm just saying that it might come in handy at a different time, like when it is not moving)

We've seen time and time again that high speed chases like this end like poorly. This car is great that we really don't need to engage in this adrenaline infused Hollywood induced fantasy.

Guy in the blue shirt is obviously from Tesla.

My guess is that he's the crashed Tesla's owner. Initial notification from police would be to vehicle owner (I would think) not the Tesla staff. If car was there for service the one he drives off in would be his loaner.

He seems pretty jolly about the attention... I don't think a Tesla service manager who'd just lost a customer's car would be quite so amused. An owner, OTOH, just hit the Tesla replacement lottery-- no insurance problems, no personal injury, and full replacement (likely prioritized and with a loaner until delivery).

But I could be totally and absolutely wrong. I've learned to embrace that. Yes, dear.

That is unbelievable. It looks like a tank went through town. Incredible he made it out alive. Incredible. But watch how the media spins this negatively. He would never have made it out "alive" in any other car other than a semi.

Absolutely insane! Those pictures look like something out of a Grand Theft Auto video game. I agree with the others that a high-speed chase against this car (which has GPS tracking) is a very very bad idea, and that it's a miracle no bystanders were killed.

Agreed.

In this case, in this day and age, with insurance, and the car equipped with GPS and 3G etc, would it not have been more prudent to let the thief "escape", and NOT engage in pursuit and simply recover recover the vehicle at a later date? Also, he's got to charge it eventually. It's not like he's going to get far fast. And the worst case is the loss of the vehicle cost, which is surly covered by insurance.

(Granted, there is a case for disabling the vehicle remotely, I'm just saying that it might come in handy at a different time, like when it is not moving)

We've seen time and time again that high speed chases like this end like poorly. This car is great that we really don't need to engage in this adrenaline infused Hollywood induced fantasy.

From what I read, police stop chasing the car (after one of their cars crashed) and it crashed 7 miles from that point.

Regarding potential for malicious attempt to disable car remotly - it could be something done by Tesla after owner call them and verify his identity.

Appropriate and balanced article here at transportevolved.com/stolen-tesla-model-s-crashes-burns-perspective-decorum-please

Here's a few snippets:

As you might expect, news outlets around the world have already resuscitated the suspicious Tesla fireball Internet Meme, calling into question again the safety of electric cars and the Silicon-Valley-built Model S in particular.But as NBC Los Angeles reports, much like those last year when a speeding Tesla Model S flew through the air in Mexico City before busting into flames after hitting a concrete bollard, the circumstances surrounding this terrible tragedy aren’t the kind of things any automaker can prepare for.

It was far from ordinary. Far from normal.

Any car travelling at the speeds suggested in initial reports, regardless of its fuel type, would have surely suffered similar consequences, while vehicular fires after high-speed pursuits are expected of any high-performance sports sedan.
Any car travelling through the air after impacting another vehicle at such high speed would likely self-destruct on landing. In fact, positioned correctly, it’s conceivable a gasoline car hitting a light pole at speed would instantaneously become a projectile fireball as the fuel tank ruptures onto hot a hot exhaust, brake discs and fast-running engine.

As for the safety of the Model S? Here at Transport Evolved we think the horrifying carnage – through which the Model S’ shape is still clearly visible — shows just how strong the Tesla Model S really is. In fact, we’re struggling to think of any other cars which would be that instantly recognisable after such a terrible ordeal.
Which leaves us one sad task. To ask that the families of those injured in the accident — regardless of which car they were driving — be given the space and love that they need to get them through this difficult and terrible ordeal.

Tesla SCs should lock up all the key fobs at night.

By the very fact of the SC being locked also means the key fobs were locked up. :wink: Oh, you mean put them in a safe that can't be broken into or stolen itself like what every car dealership and service center does, right?

Please. Locking houses, cars, key fobs et al is to prevent honest people from stealing things, not thieves. Let's keep our common sense front and center.

Tesla Crash in LA

Fiery crash involving stolen Tesla shuts down La Brea AvenueLos Angeles Times

As a safety story I wonder what can be done to end high speed police chases? Model S already offers alternatives for police and could offer more with just software changes.

While the driver of the stolen Tesla had serious, possibly fatal injuries, they resulted from his being ejected from the car...so he presumably wasn't wearing a seat belt.

"Stolen from a dealership" ... I'll assume that they had the key fob, then. The amount of force it would have taken to rip the car apart, let alone the battery pack, like that is just insane to try and think about. I'd be curious as to what he actually hit that caused the bulk of the damage.

:-oConfessions here: When I was in high school many a moon ago I was with a friend who was driving his Mustang and we were in a bizarre accident. The car went/flew over an overpass.

Anyways we hit a light pole like this Tesla did and knocked it down.The good end of the story other than a very minor cut or two we were both fine, the light pole, not so much. The car totaled but no fire.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the exact angle that could cause the Tesla to split into two.

By the very fact of the SC being locked also means the key fobs were locked up. :wink: Oh, you mean put them in a safe that can't be broken into or stolen itself like what every car dealership and service center does, right?

Please. Locking houses, cars, key fobs et al is to prevent honest people from stealing things, not thieves. Let's keep our common sense front and center.

"Honest people" don't steal, by definition.

It would certainly be possible for the SC to conceal all the key fobs in a location inside the building which would be difficult for a thief to locate unless he had done some social engineering in advance. Most thieves aren't that smart.

Actually now they are reporting the driver died from his injuries @10am

Let's hope this was the car thief, and that no one else dies (if his actions result in the accidental death of others, he is disqualified)... Then we can nominate him for a 2014 Darwin Award: Darwin Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rules[edit]

Northcutt has stated five requirements for a Darwin Award:[2][14]

Inability to reproduce[edit]
Nominee must be dead or rendered sterile.
Sometimes this can be a matter of dispute. Potential awardees may be out of the gene pool because of age; others have already reproduced before their deaths. To avoid debates about the possibility of in-vitro fertilization, artificial insemination, or cloning, the original Darwin Awards book applied the following "deserted island" test to potential winners: If the person were unable to reproduce when stranded on a deserted island with a fertile member of the opposite sex, he or she would be considered sterile.[15] Winners of the award, in general, either are dead or have become unable to use their sexual organs.
Excellence[edit]
Astoundingly stupid judgment.
The candidate's foolishness must be unique and sensational, likely because the award is intended to be funny. A number of foolish but common activities, such as smoking in bed, are excluded from consideration. In contrast, self-immolation caused by smoking after being administered a flammable ointment in a hospital and specifically told not to smoke is grounds for nomination.[16] One 'Honorable Mention' (a man who attempted suicide by swallowing nitroglycerine pills, and then tried to detonate them by running into a wall) is noted to be in this category, despite being intentional and self-inflicted, which would normally disqualify the inductee.[17]
Self-selection[edit]
Cause of one's own demise.
Killing a friend with a hand grenade would not be eligible, but killing oneself while manufacturing a homemade chimney-cleaning device from a grenade would be eligible.[18] To earn a Darwin Award, one must have killed oneself; merely causing death to a third party is insufficient.
Maturity[edit]
Capable of sound judgment.
The nominee must be at least past the legal driving age and free of mental defect (Northcutt considers injury or death caused by mental defect to be tragic, rather than amusing, and routinely disqualifies such entries). After much discussion, there also exists a small category regarding deaths below this age limit. Entry into this category requires that the peers of the candidate be of the opinion that the actions of the person in question were above and beyond the limits of reason.
Veracity[edit]
The event must be verified.
The story must be documented by reliable sources: e.g., reputable newspaper articles, confirmed television reports, or responsible eyewitnesses. If a story is found to be untrue, it is disqualified, but particularly amusing ones are placed in the urban legend section of the archives. Despite this requirement, many of the stories are fictional, often appearing as "original submissions" and presenting no further sources than unverified (and unreliable) "eyewitnesses". Most such stories on Northcutt's Darwin Awards site are filed in the Personal Accounts section.
In addition, later revisions to the qualification criteria add several requirements that have not been made into formalized 'rules': innocent bystanders cannot be in danger, and the qualifying event must be caused without deliberate intent (to prevent glory-seekers from purposely injuring themselves solely to win a Darwin).

Relationship to the theory of natural selection[edit]

While the Darwin Awards are named after Charles Darwin, because of his theory of natural selection, there is no evidence that the stories depicted actually represent the removal of "judgement impairment genes" from the gene pool. While the stories depict a lack of intelligence in many of the individuals, they do not arise from any consistent genetic differences between them and the rest of humankind. The stories depicted may actually represent excessive impulsiveness, such as can result from a variety of factors, rather than a lack of intelligence.

Last edited:
In one of the videos there were clearly 3 fires burning: the front half of the car and two smaller piles approximately 10 and 20 feet behind the front half. The two separate piles were sending up "roman candles" which I presume were the individual cells rupturing and behaving like rockets. I thought the "intumescent" goo was supposed to prevent fires but the two burning piles appear to be battery modules.