Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many questions...

1. How did you get the car back?
2. Did you report the car as stolen to the police before you got it back?
3. Did you get it back or did the police?
4. Did the police return it to you or did you have to collect it from them?
5. Did you report it to the insurance company?

Reactions: diesel
Step 1. Call the non-emergency police number. Find out WTF is going on and who has possession of the car and why
Step 2a. If the police are holding onto the car as evidence, and submitted it to Tesla as the local experts, you're out of luck. Have to wait. Tesla doesn't owe you anything. Just wait
Step 2b. If the police say the car has been released and it's out of their hands. But Tesla has the car, go to Tesla and have your dad take his car back (unless he wants to be helpful, in which case demand a loaner). In this case, Tesla does owe you a loaner if they're doing their own investigation for themselves, not for the police.

I assume it's option A.

Last week my father's Model S was stolen from outside our house. Luckily he was able to track the scumbags who stole it and get it back. However having got it back Tesla have siezed the car and have not many any contact of when he can have it back or any courtesy car. Has anyone been through something similar and can offer some advice!

This thread is like those ad lib games where one can create their own story line by inserting various nouns and verbs.

OP, tough to expect people here to help you without more facts but to answer your original question, probably not, as its not common for cars to be stolen by scumbags, hunted down and recovered by the owner, only to be seized by the police that then proceeds to hand it over to the manufacturer with no communication to the owner.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: diesel and Carl
So im confused, first Tesla seized the car then turns out it was the police who seized it? Idk about the UK, but in the US, police are allowed to secure property as evidence in a crime. Usually loaners are not provided.

Doesn't one's car insurance cover things like this?

I'm guessing that the OP is fairly young and doesn't fully understand what is going on.

I'm sure the owner of the stolen car is irritated over not having his car - and I agree with those of you who believe it was taken by law enforcement who then enlisted Tesla's help. But his son is probably only hearing how irritated his dad is & is trying to help, without understanding the full situation.

Be kind. It's nice when our kids want to help us. :)

Reactions: GSP and TI Sailor
The overall customer service he has received has been very poor considering the amount he paid for the car. Has phoned numerous times and nothing has been disclosed. A shame for such a great car and company
Now, I don't believe any of this story. You just blew your credibility. I was already doubtful when you said Tesla had the car and didn't provide a loaner. That's not the way Tesla works. I don't believe anything you are saying now. Sorry.

I'm guessing that the OP is fairly young and doesn't fully understand what is going on.

I'm sure the owner of the stolen car is irritated over not having his car - and I agree with those of you who believe it was taken by law enforcement who then enlisted Tesla's help. But his son is probably only hearing how irritated his dad is & is trying to help, without understanding the full situation.

Be kind. It's nice when our kids want to help us. :)
The police don't take cars to research how they were broken into or stolen. They take the report, they look for the car. If they find it, they document it and return it. That's all.

How long have you lived in London?
This comment hasn't earned an answer. But I will play along.
No, I don't live in England. And don't need to just to understand how some police procedures are conducted.
You?

So, you think the police in London do things difference when it comes to stolen cars than all other places?
Having been a cop, I know what basic processes and procedures are in a town in the U.S.

Why would the police have a vested interest in figuring out how a specific manufactured car was stolen?
You have knowledge that the police do it different in England? Do they do it for all, or just Teslas?

Last edited:
As a retired law-enforcement officer .... I have all the same doubts expressed above.

I can understand that Tesla conceivable could want to borrow a vehicle to conduct a study .....
but they absolutely would provide written documentation in the form of a receipt, and a loaner.

Now if it was stolen and the police recovered the vehicle, they very well could impound the evidence for trial, and "chain of custody" would be important to maintain. (written, dated and signed documentation)

In the US, "fruits of the crime" can be seized and the perpetrator forfeits the vehicle..... our department used a wide assortment of seized automobiles, airplanes, boats, weapons and other items.

Last edited:
You need to call your car insurance company. Rentals, damages, etc, are covered by your insurance company. Once you reported the car stolen, the car belongs to your insurance company.

We had a vehicle stolen (car detailing company made copy of key, stole it at 3am, caught on video).
It took PD 24 hours to find it.
It was held in an impound yard.
Insurance company towed car from impound to dealership.
Car was at dealership 3 weeks getting repaired.
Insurance would have paid for a rental, but we did not bother, we had a number of cars.

Police did not care to pursue the auto thief, and did not dust for prints, or question the detail shop. Car was opened with remote fob on video. No arrests.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf