TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stolen Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianstorms, Aug 27, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

#1 brianstorms, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Better check your car LOL.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Your phone company should have a fraud department that can trace the phone number. What carrier do you use? Found AT&T here
    ATT

service isn't free and not sure if falls into the category they want you to use *57 for anyway. Definitely seems like fraud.

4. dsm363

Let us know what you find. I think that *57 only works on your last call though.

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The simplest answer is likely the correct one. Someone at Tesla confused you with another customer and gave the police the wrong info.

6. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

OK but how the heck would one steal a Tesla (and it not be found fast)?

7. Vexar

Vexar Member

Glad San Diego has such a task force. If they don't have call contact records of having contacted you, then it's a fraud scenario and I'd call into the main Tesla number and ask for some assistance. Fraudsters are smart. They will know how to con someone with money and sound as legit as possible. One possible scenario is they gleaned your number from a document or file or having been in proximity of the Tesla store while sniffing numbers (did you leave your wireless receiver on?). Try to build a list of people who know your number and know. It could be a wild coincidence, but there really is no such thing as a coincidence. There's events that are nearby and related. is the relation a concern? That's someone else's job to figure out. Your job is to report it.

8. nspollution

nspollution Member

I don't understand how a Tesla can be stolen in a meaningful way.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

maybe it was a roadster.

10. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

People sometimes leave their key in the car. If a thief knew what they were doing and disabled the remote app setting in the car you couldn't track it. If they put it in an enclosed metal transport carrier even Tesla couldn't track it.

Without the key though, they'd have to be extremely sophisticated hackers to steal it.

11. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Yup in San Diego the heist could easily be to follow an owner, steal the key, nab the car and quickly get to a shipping container and stash it, then load said container on the slow boat to china (literally)

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Sounds fishy
    police calling from a blocked number? Never had that happen and I deal with a fair share of police phone calls

13. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

But to what avail?

I always liked the idea that the car is basically unstealable. Of course one can nick it, but the car needs to be serviced regularly, and even without the remote app enabled I thought Tesla was able to track the car anytime, anywhere.

I was just thinking about what I read last week about a freight truck that had been stolen in Germany, and thanks to the onboard tracking system was found (in Latvia) and returned within a few days.
    That is one thing I really like about modern vehicles :)

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

No. If you have a U.S. car, just drive to Canada. The car drops off the map to everyone, including Tesla. I assume it's the same for going to China etc.

15. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

16. dsm363

Doesn't the GPS locator still work even if the 3G signal doesn't?

17. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Yes so someone in the car can see where they are on the GPS navmap. But if they don't tell anyone...

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I read somewhere that the Model S is hackable through a spectacular failure in the API. Maybe they stole it this way.

:)

19. dsm363

I thought the GPS chip would have a unique signature so Tesla could still track it assuming it wasn't underground.

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

GPS chips are only receivers, devices that use it require some other transmitter to get location information somewhere. So using the GPS chip, the car determines its location relative to the GPS satellites; through 3G or WiFi, it tells Tesla where it is. Cut off that transmission via 3G or WiFi and no one will know.