TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

stolen video

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by doug, Apr 15, 2009.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Those [email protected]! :biggrin: Following the tradition of (too) many Americans, I shall promptly sue them for mental anguish, not to mention a pile of cash!

Seriously, I've not had anyone misappropriate media content from me before. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? I'm inclined to let it go, but maybe a precendent like that shouldn't be set? A publication like Business Insider really should know better.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Perhaps contact them asking for credit? OTOH, if you'd like to get a pretty penny for it, I'd ask the posts here about it to be removed and consult a lawyer.

Prolly easier to just ask for credit tho :)

4. DDB

DDB Member

Anyone can sue...but what are your damages? :confused: Of course, I don't know much about copyright violations...anyone here know IP? Sorry, I wouldn't take your case.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#5 vfx, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    I would contact them and ask them to send you $500. When they resist you can settle for 100 or 50, ask them to remove it, or as someone who wants Tesla to succeed, just let it go.

edit:
    How about a subscription?

6. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

I was not at all serious about filing a suit over this. Sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was going to. I've read and heard about too many frivolous suits to want to be involved in one.

While I like the idea of asking for a token reparation like a subscription, I'm not much for reading printed magazines much any more. I read online most of the time now. I doubt that they have a subscription fee for their online publication, but I'll check. Thanks for the input, all!

7. DDB

DDB Member

We know, we're halfway joking around. If I took video I'd at least mention the source! You've got a new resume builder at the least :redface:

8. domenick

domenick Nerd

I would inform them that they are in violation of copyright law by not asking permission and ask how they would like to resolve the situation. They should either remove the content, offer you attribution or, perhaps, money. I'd at least see what they are willing to offer.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I smell a spammer.