Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stone chip (1 month in) Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just over a month old and I have a stone chip on the bonnet of my White MY.

Can anyone recommend a decent touch up kit / paint to fix the issue?

Upvote 0
Has anyone used this on a car that is ceramic coated.

Not sure how the ceramic coat would react with the blending solution that’s used to remove excess paint?
Now that's a good question. Unfortunately I have no idea.
But I thought the point of ceramic coating was to protect against small stone chips. Not expecting miracles but not a great publicity either if it didn't help at all just one month in. Have you considered discussing with the place where you had it done, especially if they charged you thousands of ££ for it?

Upvote 0
Now that's a good question. Unfortunately I have no idea.
But I thought the point of ceramic coating was to protect against small stone chips. Not expecting miracles but not a great publicity either if it didn't help at all just one month in. Have you considered discussing with the place where you had it done, especially if they charged you thousands of ££ for it?
Ceramic coating is not designed to prevent stone chips of any size. It's a long-term coating to help make washing easier. You might be confusing with Paint Protection Film.

Upvote 0
Official touchup paint and then a Langka Paint Repair Kit - works really well if you take your time. The advantage being you can have a number of attempts to get it right - although just seen its £45 - £60 which without the paint is ridiculous - it was about £25 when I got my kit (a number of years ago admittedly).

Over-fill the chip, then you gradually rub the blob down with the kit. Make sure the paint is fully cured (at least 48hrs otherwise the middle will not be dry and rub off to easily) - use very little of the solution and the included cloth and 'credit card' to very slowly wear it down - be careful as a few times I've worn away what I thought was the right amount and then the next day there was a crater where the paint had continued to dry out as the next layer was revealed.

Once you've perfected the method chip vanish unless you know where they are and look very closely!

Reactions: fantasmagorica
Upvote 0
Chipex is a really poor product in my experience. It’s very expensive for what it is. I would recommend some of the ebay touch up kits that come in two bottles. One is the white colour and the other the metallic clear. I mixed two these up with a cocktail stick and gradually built it up. You now can’t tell the stone chips are there.

Reactions: rowedav
Upvote 0
Chipex is a really poor product in my experience. It’s very expensive for what it is. I would recommend some of the ebay touch up kits that come in two bottles. One is the white colour and the other the metallic clear. I mixed two these up with a cocktail stick and gradually built it up. You now can’t tell the stone chips are there.
Exactly what I did with my white Model 3. The white was too bright but mixing with the slightly yellower clear coat resulted in a very good colour match.

TESLA WHITE WATER PPSW PAINT 30ML TOUCH UP KIT *BASE & PEARL* REPAIR PAINT BRUSH | eBay

Upvote 0