Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop comparing Model 3 to Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM: "The $35k Model 3 will not be as nice as the $70k Model S. Honest."

TMC: "OH... that's how he wants to play it! The old 'switcheroo'! What a scammer!!!"

Actually, it is more like this:

EM: "The $35k Model 3 will not be as nice as the $70k Model S. Honest."

TMC: "Honest my behind, really he is saying: buy more Model S."

In this case, I think TMC actually got the collective response pretty much right. :)

I just saw a Bolt on the road today....I give mad props to GM for getting it to market as quick as they did, and I appreciate that it's a hatch (like I wish the Model 3 was), but I just can't...It just looks like a total dork-mobile. I don't consider myself a very vain person, but given a choice of anything else but that, given similar performance and range, I'd pick something else. Elon doesn't have to worry about my canceling my Model 3 reservation for the Bolt.

I'd say any comparison between a real car you can buy and drive and a concept you haven't driven and know nothing about, but a few "at leasts", is kind of silly.

My imaginary friend could surely beat Tyson Fury in a boxing match.

Once the 3 is out we can do comparisons over price, performance, range and so on.

Reactions: swaltner
There are ~ 400,000 reservations that have stopped Bolt sales cold. Silly GM.
There are apparently 399,999 different reasons for people canceling their Model 3 orders. None of them are rational. I'm going to say the Model 3 Reservationists are some crazy arse mofos.

The reality is that the Model 3 rollout indicated you'd be buying a Model S for 1/2 price. Rational folk knew that to be false when they made their reservation. How many lunatics are mixed in that 400,000? Somebody seriously said the Model 3 should be more luxurious than a $50,000 small luxury car.

Reactions: R.S
Nah the idea of a 40k subcompact hatchback is the silly idea. The enthusiasm over the Model 3 definitely plays a big role, but the bolt isn't really too good value anyways.

Yeah, I'd buy the $50k BMW micro hatchback with far less room, less performance and 1/2 the range over the Bolt. Why?

The BMW is uglier. It screams "I'm Saving Whales!!!" to the world.

It's slower. Nothing says Green like lethargy.

It has BMW badges on it. This means only Expert Professional Racecar Drivers (who drive like drunken teenagers) own them.

I can use the tires on my motorcycles. They are 155 wide, just like small motorcycles use.

It's easy to remove the motor. Sometimes without your permission though.

It's smaller inside, which tells people I must be eating tofu 3 meals a day to fit in it.

It has Suicide Doors. Which can come in handy when you find you lost $30k in depreciation in 3 years on an inexpensive car.

It's German. The Founders of the Clean Air Movement. Via VW!!!

Yeah, I'd buy the $50k BMW micro hatchback with far less room, less performance and 1/2 the range over the Bolt. Why?

The BMW is uglier. It screams "I'm Saving Whales!!!" to the world.

It's slower. Nothing says Green like lethargy.

It has BMW badges on it. This means only Expert Professional Racecar Drivers (who drive like drunken teenagers) own them.

I can use the tires on my motorcycles. They are 155 wide, just like small motorcycles use.

It's easy to remove the motor. Sometimes without your permission though.

It's smaller inside, which tells people I must be eating tofu 3 meals a day to fit in it.

It has Suicide Doors. Which can come in handy when you find you lost $30k in depreciation in 3 years on an inexpensive car.

It's German. The Founders of the Clean Air Movement. Via VW!!!

So they will definitely outsell the i3, which was sold 7625 times in the US last year, impressive! There is a reason why the Leaf was a lot more popular than the i3, well multiple reasons, but one of them was definitely price.