Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop control training and mapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has mentioned that we are actively training the stop control function by confirming intersections, stop signs, etc. I was a little skeptical of this to be honest. But I had a recent experience that made me change my mind. On a section of my normal drive, Stop Control would would give me the advanced notice that it was stopping on 2 out of 3 stop signs - indicating that the 2 signs were mapped. At the very last stop sign where, my rural road links to a major highway, it would not stop for a hidden stop sign or the intersection. After passing through this section roughly 10 times in the last week, suddenly yesterday it gave me the alert that it was stopping for intersection in x amount of feet. I am on 12.11.1. I’m trying to figure out if this came from that update or if the car is pulling the data live or how it would have added this intersection so quickly. I wish we had a little more information on how these things are getting mapped from the car.
Do you have to be on AP for it to “remember”?
Is it mapping in the background regardless of AP being on?
Do you have to disable AP if the stop feature is wrong to remove it?
How many times do you have to pass by a new or wrong stop control feature for the map to be adjusted?
So many questions. I don’t think anyone has an answer to them, but figured I would start the discussion. I’m curious if anyone else has seen new areas where stop control wouldn’t stop but now does. Specifically where it gives you the advanced notice that it’s stopping without the car seeing it yet.

My car balks in exactly the same place it has (freeway, no intersections or overpasses, nothing at all really, just open road) for the entire 16 months I've had my car. I've done the bug report, I've "taken control," I've asked politely why, I've screamed and hollered. The severity varies, sometime's it's a full on hard brake, sometimes it's a gradual slowing by 5-10 mph, but the location has been consistent.

As a result, I am extremely dubious of this "neural net learning" claim by Tesla. There has been ample opportunity for learning to have occurred. It is very possible that the traffic control devices are a whole different map and "learning" process. But...

The car does not learn on its own. Not ever.

Data can be gathered BY the fleet, but "learning" happens all back on much bigger systems at the home office using that collected data.

Behavior only changes when Tesla pushes fleet-wide updates to the car (either firmware updates or map updates).

The car does not learn on its own. Not ever.

Data can be gathered BY the fleet, but "learning" happens all back on much bigger systems at the home office using that collected data.

Behavior only changes when Tesla pushes fleet-wide updates to the car (either firmware updates or map updates).

Yeah, not talking about learning. I am talking about how the stop control features are being added to their map without a new map download. 100% a new stop was added to my route where there wasn’t one before. Maybe you were replying to puddles.