Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop faster - pads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Also, like all sports car drivers, we want to go faster, but with great (horse power) comes great responsibility.

So, I want to stop faster, without braking the bank. (Get it)?

anyone put performance pads/rotors on their S?

And experience better stopping?

HB453B.585 | Hawk Performance

are these what I want? I'm not willing to deal with brake noise, but dust isn't an issue.

From my limited tracking experience:

Fancier pads won't make you stop faster unless you are making hard stops in quick succession (and thus putting significant heat into the braking system). Higher performance pads will hold up to elevated temperatures better.

The OEM pads should be sufficient to lock up the tires under hard braking (such that ABS kicks in). If you are encountering situations where you can no longer lock up your brakes, then you might consider performance pads. Otherwise, they won't provide much (any?) benefit.

The OEM pads should be sufficient to lock up the tires under hard braking (such that ABS kicks in). If you are encountering situations where you can no longer lock up your brakes, then you might consider performance pads. Otherwise, they won't provide much (any?) benefit.

And might actually be worse because performance pads need to be somewhat hot before they really grip. Their main advantage is that they will still grip when the rotor are glowing.