TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stop faster - pads?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SabrToothSqrl, Dec 28, 2015.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Also, like all sports car drivers, we want to go faster, but with great (horse power) comes great responsibility.

So, I want to stop faster, without braking the bank. (Get it)?

anyone put performance pads/rotors on their S?

And experience better stopping?

HB453B.585 | Hawk Performance

are these what I want? I'm not willing to deal with brake noise, but dust isn't an issue.

2. ChadFeldheimer

From my limited tracking experience:

Fancier pads won't make you stop faster unless you are making hard stops in quick succession (and thus putting significant heat into the braking system). Higher performance pads will hold up to elevated temperatures better.

The OEM pads should be sufficient to lock up the tires under hard braking (such that ABS kicks in). If you are encountering situations where you can no longer lock up your brakes, then you might consider performance pads. Otherwise, they won't provide much (any?) benefit.

3. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

Put some stickier rubber on it.

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

100%, better tires will net shorter stopping distances as well as better handling and acceleration (assuming traction is even an issue there).

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

And might actually be worse because performance pads need to be somewhat hot before they really grip. Their main advantage is that they will still grip when the rotor are glowing.