Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop Fighting FUD and do Something Much Better with Your Time/Money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost everybody that posts on this site wants Tesla to win the battle against big oil, the legacy car manufacturers, the dealership associations, the people who spread FUD, the state govts and politicians who illegally ban Tesla, and all the haters in general.

I used to spend tons of time on the WSJ articles trying to "teach" people the truth - facts. But, I realized that people don't wan to hear anything that would mean they would have to leave their blissful place of ignorance. People will explain away the truth in their minds just to keep from having to accept they've been believing a lie. Truth is, no one is going to change these people. they just have to get run over by the truth, or just fade away and get old (and die).

So I started thinking, how could we Tesla lovers TRULY make a difference. And I believe we could do much better if we found ways to fund superchargers and started campaigns to get more hotels to install destination chargers. I live in South Georgia and the last 2 weekends I have taken road trips. While I never experience range anxiety, I've had to jump through hoops to charge. Last weekend I had to beg a bed and breakfast to let me charge, and this weekend in Atlanta, I had to drive 20 miles across Atlanta to charge before I headed back to Savannah.

I wanted to drive from Atlanta to Clemson, SC Saturday to see the football game there, but I would have had to detour to Athens, GA to charge enough to make it back. There simply are no places to charge in Clemson. I didn't go.

Simply put, everyday Joe isn't going to go to this amount of effort. We stayed in the Homewood Suiites Atlanta Airport North Friday and Saturday night. We had to have a suite due to some circumstances of the trip. This hotel did not have a destination charger. So I checked all Hilton hotels in the area, and none of the others had one either. I couldn't believe it. I had no choice but to head to the Atlantic station parking garage and charge.

So, while we can always figure out a place to charge, it simply is NOT as convenient as it easily could/should/will be. There's no reason why there can't be 10 times more destination chargers. And it would also be nice if there were a ton more supercharge stations and stopping to charge could be an afterthought like stopping for [the g word]. I have a hard time believing that we can't put our heads together and figure out a way to make both of these happens.

As a Tesla community, we need to join together an boycott hotel chains that don't have destination chargers. We need to write them letters. We need to send them petitions. We also need to find a way to help Tesla fund superchargers. I'm not sure how we do that. I wish Tesla would accept donations, sort of like other fund raisers - donate $100 - get a brick with your name on it in the parking sports. Donate $500, get a plaque or bigger brick. Donate $5000, get a stall named after you. Donate $50k, get the entire station named for you. And any donation $500 or more receives free charging at that station for life.

There's some smart people on this board. Surely we can make this happen. Ideas?

Looking at plugshare, there are several places to charge in Clemson. There are many more in nearby Greenville - including a Tesla Supercharger.

We don't need to 'boycott' anything. Let's use what is there. And if you have a favorite place to stay that doesn't have any facilities, ask to talk with the manager, or better yet the owner. (Nicely) let them know that you would appreciate it if they offered a facility, it would help you continue being a customer of theirs, and help attract other customers who drive EVs. I recently did this with a place I often stay at in Los Angeles, and followed up with what I hope was a useful email. They were very interested. We'll see if this translates into action.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
You really expect someone to drive 45 minutes (33 miles) out of their way to charge? So, if I charge to 100% (which will be painfully long), I lose 66 miles just from the drive to charge. Not to mention the 1.5 hours added to the trip, plus about an hour to charge. 2.5 hours added onto a day trip to catch a football game? Again, you're in early adopter mode with that answer.

Also, the couple of chargers in Clemson are at Hotels and are for customers only. Plus, for inline charging (yes, I made that up to describe charging you do while traveling), 28 to 56 miles per charge simply isn't going to work. It would if there was a charger at the stadium - where it would sit and charge for 3 to 4 hours. And no one is going to leave their car at a charging station and uber to their destination (well, we early adopters will).

Almost everybody that posts on this site wants Tesla to win the battle against big oil, the legacy car manufacturers, the dealership associations, the people who spread FUD, the state govts and politicians who illegally ban Tesla, and all the haters in general.

I used to spend tons of time on the WSJ articles trying to "teach" people the truth - facts. But, I realized that people don't wan to hear anything that would mean they would have to leave their blissful place of ignorance. People will explain away the truth in their minds just to keep from having to accept they've been believing a lie. Truth is, no one is going to change these people. they just have to get run over by the truth, or just fade away and get old (and die).

So I started thinking, how could we Tesla lovers TRULY make a difference. And I believe we could do much better if we found ways to fund superchargers and started campaigns to get more hotels to install destination chargers. I live in South Georgia and the last 2 weekends I have taken road trips. While I never experience range anxiety, I've had to jump through hoops to charge. Last weekend I had to beg a bed and breakfast to let me charge, and this weekend in Atlanta, I had to drive 20 miles across Atlanta to charge before I headed back to Savannah.

I wanted to drive from Atlanta to Clemson, SC Saturday to see the football game there, but I would have had to detour to Athens, GA to charge enough to make it back. There simply are no places to charge in Clemson. I didn't go.

Simply put, everyday Joe isn't going to go to this amount of effort. We stayed in the Homewood Suiites Atlanta Airport North Friday and Saturday night. We had to have a suite due to some circumstances of the trip. This hotel did not have a destination charger. So I checked all Hilton hotels in the area, and none of the others had one either. I couldn't believe it. I had no choice but to head to the Atlantic station parking garage and charge.

So, while we can always figure out a place to charge, it simply is NOT as convenient as it easily could/should/will be. There's no reason why there can't be 10 times more destination chargers. And it would also be nice if there were a ton more supercharge stations and stopping to charge could be an afterthought like stopping for [the g word]. I have a hard time believing that we can't put our heads together and figure out a way to make both of these happens.

As a Tesla community, we need to join together an boycott hotel chains that don't have destination chargers. We need to write them letters. We need to send them petitions. We also need to find a way to help Tesla fund superchargers. I'm not sure how we do that. I wish Tesla would accept donations, sort of like other fund raisers - donate $100 - get a brick with your name on it in the parking sports. Donate $500, get a plaque or bigger brick. Donate $5000, get a stall named after you. Donate $50k, get the entire station named for you. And any donation $500 or more receives free charging at that station for life.

I agree the lack of destination chargers a hotels etc. is bad and a pain for EV owners. A lot of these places think a 110 wall outlet is an adequate charger:eek:.

What may help and does get does get hotel mgmt. attention is Tripadvisor reviews(you'll notice managers often reply to reviews on TA). When we stay at a hotel, write a review and ding them a star and state this is due to no EV charging. This is pretty easy and doesn't cost a cent.

Ive been contemplating what I can do to influence large companies to want to install chargers. I imagine a point where one of the large grocery chains is going to jump in and install chargers in all of its stores.

I know Target and to a lesser extent Walmart has started in select locations, but I want Publix/Harris Teeter/Meijer/whatever West coast chain to differentiate themselves via electric charging at all locations.

I, for one, would exclusively shop at any store that offered charging, but how do we let these corporations know there are enough of us out here that it’s worth their effort and cost?

Vote everyone out who doesn't support the charging infrastructure standardization and deployment. Pass laws to make it free for businesses to install it.

I'm considering donating my signature wall charger to a local Hotel is Savannah, GA. How can I best leverage my donation to get some publicity for Tesla?
Would make a good local paper human interest story which would also generate some nice press for the establishment. "Elon Musk Signed Tesla charger installed at...offering free overnight charging for guests etc."

Reactions: Buddyroe