Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop in Cody, WY - maybe a short charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
I looked but couldn't find any info here.
In 2 weeks will be going from Sheridan, Wy to Red Lodge, Mt. But not through Billings - towards Cody using mostly Hwy 14. ABRP says I can make it, but thinking of going as far as Cody before heading north to Red Lodge. But, would feel better if I can get a boost in Cody. Not planning overnight there, but not a long day, so would like to spend a little time (and money) in Cody. Yes, I know (according to Plugshare) there is a J1772 at the Buffalo Bill Center, but would better if there were more options.
Being so close to Yellowstone west entrance, I am sure Cody will be busy. So any help or suggestions, please.

I looked but couldn't find any info here.
In 2 weeks will be going from Sheridan, Wy to Red Lodge, Mt. But not through Billings - towards Cody using mostly Hwy 14. ABRP says I can make it, but thinking of going as far as Cody before heading north to Red Lodge. But, would feel better if I can get a boost in Cody. Not planning overnight there, but not a long day, so would like to spend a little time (and money) in Cody. Yes, I know (according to Plugshare) there is a J1772 at the Buffalo Bill Center, but would better if there were more options.
Being so close to Yellowstone west entrance, I am sure Cody will be busy. So any help or suggestions, please.

I like to stop at RV campsites. They always have outlets and are usually happy to let you use them for $5 for a few hours.

Hi smartypnz,

Any luck on this trip? I am in the same boat, trying to figure out routing btwn Sheridan and YS Park via Cody. I am looking for Charging options in Cody,WY ? What was your experience ? I am heading there next week.

Hi smartypnz,

Any luck on this trip? I am in the same boat, trying to figure out routing btwn Sheridan and YS Park via Cody. I am looking for Charging options in Cody,WY ? What was your experience ? I am heading there next week.

Hey... in Moab at the moment. Not due to perform the Sheridan until the 8th. (Overnight in Gillette to Sheridan, then using US 14, then at Powell will make the decision to detour thru Cody before heading for Red Lodge. (Wanna do the Beartooth Hwy b4 Yellowstone).
Seems Cody has several chargers, mostly at RV parks - so depending how early I get started, I may get there to spend some money.
(If there had been an SpC built by now, that woulda been overnight - doubt I’ll ever be in the neighborhood again.)

Hey... in Moab at the moment. Not due to perform the Sheridan until the 8th. (Overnight in Gillette to Sheridan, then using US 14, then at Powell will make the decision to detour thru Cody before heading for Red Lodge. (Wanna do the Beartooth Hwy b4 Yellowstone).
Seems Cody has several chargers, mostly at RV parks - so depending how early I get started, I may get there to spend some money.
(If there had been an SpC built by now, that woulda been overnight - doubt I’ll ever be in the neighborhood again.)
Is there any way to find a listing of these RV parks? Will NEMA 14-50 work? I'm planning a road trip in September, that will include spending the night in Cody and most of the day at the Wild West Center. I know about the J1772 at the museum. I just want to make sure I have back up.

Is there any way to find a listing of these RV parks? Will NEMA 14-50 work? I'm planning a road trip in September, that will include spending the night in Cody and most of the day at the Wild West Center. I know about the J1772 at the museum. I just want to make sure I have back up.
The NEMA 14-50 outlets work great as long as you have the proper adapter from Tesla.

Plug share shows some options in Cody.

The RV Parking site shows a lot more. Make sure you call first, these listing don't always get updated when they should. The 50 amp filter is handy.

If you frequent RV parks, getting a TT-30 adapter is also a good plan. It's a 120V standard, but it's twice as fast as a normal 15 amp outlet. And they're more common than 14-50 outlets around the country.

The NEMA 14-50 outlets work great as long as you have the proper adapter from Tesla.

Plug share shows some options in Cody.

The RV Parking site shows a lot more. Make sure you call first, these listing don't always get updated when they should. The 50 amp filter is handy.
I found I had some filter problems in my app. I''ve found mutiple other plugs in Cody.

Reactions: KJD
If you frequent RV parks, getting a TT-30 adapter is also a good plan. It's a 120V standard, but it's twice as fast as a normal 15 amp outlet. And they're more common than 14-50 outlets around the country.

I second this - it's perfect for overnight charging, and opens up a TON of old campgrounds for use - especially old state parks and older private campgrounds that are common in the Northwest.

Plugshare doesn't show a Chargepoint L2 in Cody. But the Chargepoint app and web site do. Anyone used it?

1628870078355.png

Yes, but the two cords are sometimes reversed - (plugged into the wrong side from where you pay)

If heading east from Yellowstone thru Cody - there's a spectacular drive to Sheridan via US 14 thru Greybull to Dayton. At Dayton veer south on 102 (Dayton East Rd) which connects to 98 (Keystone Rd) which takes you to Sheridan. Take it easy up from Greybull but ya get most of it back coming down. That charge at Cody will get you there.

Last edited: