Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop Light Timing Feature Coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently saw that another vehicle that has a stop light timing feature where it will count down for how long the red light is. It will also give you a real time recommended speed to stay at to avoid red lights ahead... this seems like prime tech for Tesla to implement and give over the air update for. Feature looks amazing, not exactly sure how the company is able to "tap into" the real time red light timer.

First the traffic light need to be synchronized,
something that I noticed in some cities in Europe, but not in the US.
This has nothing to do with traffic light syncing and is actually a new feature where the timing info is sent over cell phone data from the red lights to the car using GPS to determine which light it is at. It is VERY limited at this point and may only be in NV. Audi is offering the feature.

OP must have been in Los Vegas and saw it on an Audi.

Last edited:
Reactions: imakeplasma
I recently saw that another vehicle that has a stop light timing feature where it will count down for how long the red light is. It will also give you a real time recommended speed to stay at to avoid red lights ahead... this seems like prime tech for Tesla to implement and give over the air update for. Feature looks amazing, not exactly sure how the company is able to "tap into" the real time red light timer.
I think this is a good idea, but rather than Tesla doing this on their own, traffic data providers such as INRIX, which is used by many automaker's infotainment for live traffic data (I believe Tesla used their live traffic API at some point) should work with local authorities to aggregate the data instead of everyone doing their own things. Also not all traffic lights are networked, but their timing configuration can also be documented in a database to make predictions more accurate. Some lights can also be controlled locally by emergency vehicles, which make this problem a lot more complicated.

Also a lot of municipalities and states have open API for getting public signage information, but it seems they are all fragmented, integrating and maintaining all for them would require some commercial efforts.

Reactions: imakeplasma