Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop Light Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten the warning at stop lights?

I had autopilot, but when my car was the first in front of the red light, it never warned me about the red light. Not sure if it needs calibration.

I’ve gotten it to reproduce once out of maybe 40 tries. HW2.0 S.

If it alerts it is about 300ft before the stop line and at 40mph requires pretty strong braking to stop in time. It’s not super fun to test right now. Not recommended.

Cool start but not quite there yet.

you are not supposed to rely on it yet! It's there in the sence FCW is there. It might warn you when you are already doing something very wrongly.
I wish they’d give a soft chime a bit in advance once they have more confidence in the feature. Right now it is basically like a FCW in that you have about a second after the alarm to slam on the brakes to stop by the stop line.

Honestly if you were distracted, I don’t think it’s enough time to react. Sure you can look up from your phone and say “holy **** I’m about to hit a car” in a split second, but I think parsing the traffic light situation takes longer.

Not sure if you have seen the recent video of @verygreen
Watch Tesla Autopilot stopping at red light on its own for first time [Warning: not available yet]
But it’s more or less guessing with some degree of accuracy.
Verygreen said, while testing the feature, that it would stop for the lights, but if it seemed green to the cameras, the car would run the light happily regardless of any obvious cross traffic in the way.

Not only that, but it doesn’t seem sustainable to keep it always on, since it was pointed out that temperatures of the AP system were notably higher when the stoplight feature was in use.

It’s probably just keeping an eye out for stoplights now, more so than before, and perhaps using us to train it?