Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop sign problem with TACC - stops before traffic is visible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I see many good things about stopping at stop signs under TACC and Autosteer I've experienced one very serious problem and it will be interesting to see how this gets solved.

I regularly approach a stop sign at a T intersection and the cars coming from the left and right don't have a stop sign. My vehicle does what it's supposed to do with TACC and stops exactly at the line. The problem is my vision is blocked at that point. If I pull the Autopilot stalk or briefly press the accelerator pedal to proceed it will accelerate into potential traffic from the left or right. My only safe choice is to disengage TACC and then creep forward to watch for a safe time to proceed.

I haven't found any workaround. Any thoughts on how this might get solved?

I've had a different kind of stop sign problem. For me, there are certain stop signs in my neighborhood where the car stops WAY too early. Like 1 1/2 car lengths before the line. It must be using map data because it is always the same ones.

Also, it has a tendency to get all herky jerky sometimes as it comes to a stop. No idea why.

The odd thing is, it works great for traffic lights. No problems at all.
The other odd think is that it didn't have the stop sign issue until the 2020.12.11.1 release. The previous one worked much better.

Not too concerned about it, I'm sure they will iron it out. But for right now, I'm not very comfortable using the stop sign part of the feature so I just drive the old fashioned way on back roads and turn on FSD on larger roads with lights and / or hiways.