TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Stop slamming our legs! Pull doors open away from legs

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Ellona5, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Ellona5

Ellona5 New Member

Doors are heavy. Most streets slope downwards toward the curb. Which makes gravity to pull the doors shut when we attempt to open them or exist a vehicle. When parked, opening doors all or half way is hard. Once you start editing, the doors might start closing, slamming legs. Build a better mechanism that will keep the door open or pull it open away from the legs.

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

That's Right! Tell them how it is!

PS: change your username to Trump

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  3. Pando

Pando Member

SOLUTION!

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. David29

David29 Active Member

My impression is that the Tesla Model S doors are held in place fairly well, probably about as well as the doors on my last car, a Mercedes E class. Do you think it is not as good as other cars?

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Do we really need two threads about this?

• Like x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Banned

You're right, this is a yuuuuge deal. Let me start a 3rd one.

• Funny x 3
  7. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

This is definitely the biggest problem Tesla needs to resolve. How could they have let this get past the design phase without addressing this?

• Funny x 3
  8. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I don't know what kind of doors were on your car before but these doors are made of aluminum so they are already lighter than normal doors comparable in size. My coupe car prior was much heavier then again for a 2-door car it should be. Being that you're in Chicago, I would think you would take better care when opening doors in the first place.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Easy solution: don't start editing when manipulating car doors.

• Funny x 6
  10. JRMW

JRMW Member

Parking on the side of the street, My car door hit the ice in the snow bank today. It could have chipped the paint.
    That angers and confuses me

I think Tesla should put heaters on the door to melt snow banks to avoid this problem.

Also, I'm nervous that it'll be too hard to open and close these doors if the melted ice creates a lake that floods my parking spot, turning it into a pool.
    Thus I'd like them to add door floats

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon, where are those antigrav doors you promised us! Every other car has them! I am so angry!

• Funny x 6
  12. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

You guys think perhaps you may just be being a bit harsh on a newbie? The opening post was his or her first on TMC. Maybe consider lightening up a bit?

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
  13. Patroradio

Patroradio Member

@Andy: I agree!

Btw why compare to other ICE cars? Maybe the OP has experienced the Model X (front) doors, and he wants something similar in the model S, which is pretty understandable. I did extensive testing of the Model X before buying my Model S two months ago... At first I thought the automatic doors were a gimmick. Just like ppl initially thought power liftgates were a gimmick when it was first introduced. Well after 1-2 days of testing the Model X, this was one of my favourite features. I often enter my car with briefcase/coffee/phone/whatever luggage in my hands. Sometimes it goes in the trunk, but sometimes not. And I often park in tight spaces. Just try to get out of MS when the car next door is 12" away and you have a briefcase and a beverage in your hands. With Model X, it worked. With Model S, it takes some gymnastics.

I don't think it's necessary. But I very well understand why someone would want it. In all honesty, I'd use it more often than the 2.39 0-60mph acceleration...

• Like x 1
  14. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Don't feel like the lone stranger, my wife's E350 convertible doors do the same thing.

15. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I've never even heard of this problem before. Can't you just find a more level place to park? I think working on the Model 3 launch is much more important than redesigning the Model S door opening mechanism. Maybe when Elon is old and feeble and slamming his legs in the door this "problem" will get addressed.

16. Patroradio

Patroradio Member

LOL!

Well I don't have this problem at all with mine. But I still think the X's doors are cool :)

17. Max*

Max* Banned

I see what you did there!

• Like x 2