Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop slamming our legs! Pull doors open away from legs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doors are heavy. Most streets slope downwards toward the curb. Which makes gravity to pull the doors shut when we attempt to open them or exist a vehicle. When parked, opening doors all or half way is hard. Once you start editing, the doors might start closing, slamming legs. Build a better mechanism that will keep the door open or pull it open away from the legs.

SOLUTION!

88025-1.jpg

I don't know what kind of doors were on your car before but these doors are made of aluminum so they are already lighter than normal doors comparable in size. My coupe car prior was much heavier then again for a 2-door car it should be. Being that you're in Chicago, I would think you would take better care when opening doors in the first place.

Doors are heavy. Most streets slope downwards toward the curb. Which makes gravity to pull the doors shut when we attempt to open them or exist a vehicle. When parked, opening doors all or half way is hard. Once you start editing, the doors might start closing, slamming legs. Build a better mechanism that will keep the door open or pull it open away from the legs.
Easy solution: don't start editing when manipulating car doors.

Parking on the side of the street, My car door hit the ice in the snow bank today. It could have chipped the paint.
That angers and confuses me

I think Tesla should put heaters on the door to melt snow banks to avoid this problem.

Also, I'm nervous that it'll be too hard to open and close these doors if the melted ice creates a lake that floods my parking spot, turning it into a pool.
Thus I'd like them to add door floats

@Andy: I agree!

Btw why compare to other ICE cars? Maybe the OP has experienced the Model X (front) doors, and he wants something similar in the model S, which is pretty understandable. I did extensive testing of the Model X before buying my Model S two months ago... At first I thought the automatic doors were a gimmick. Just like ppl initially thought power liftgates were a gimmick when it was first introduced. Well after 1-2 days of testing the Model X, this was one of my favourite features. I often enter my car with briefcase/coffee/phone/whatever luggage in my hands. Sometimes it goes in the trunk, but sometimes not. And I often park in tight spaces. Just try to get out of MS when the car next door is 12" away and you have a briefcase and a beverage in your hands. With Model X, it worked. With Model S, it takes some gymnastics.

I don't think it's necessary. But I very well understand why someone would want it. In all honesty, I'd use it more often than the 2.39 0-60mph acceleration...

Reactions: Andyw2100
Don't feel like the lone stranger, my wife's E350 convertible doors do the same thing.

I've never even heard of this problem before. Can't you just find a more level place to park? I think working on the Model 3 launch is much more important than redesigning the Model S door opening mechanism. Maybe when Elon is old and feeble and slamming his legs in the door this "problem" will get addressed.